• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shared SSL help

addy282

Hi all

I am having a problem installing shared SSL onto a shop i have no idea what I am doing I have been given a secure url and area which to upload the secure stuff (which i have done)

But how do I enable this oh and any ideas which files I should copy over to the secure domain?

Some one please help me :'(

I get this message when i try to login

Warning: main(includes/application_top.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/web/secure/html/kitchenprofessional/login.php on line 13

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/application_top.php' (include_path='.:') in /home/web/secure/html/kitchenprofessional/login.php on line 13

and similar ones when i try to access other files i have placed on the secure domain

In which case it is never going to work. Give up now and save yourself from insanity or total hairloss. Cut your losses, and use a host where the shared ssl is included in the package and on the same server as your website.

Vger

Okay, I'll explain why not.

1. osCommerce is a dynamic php based shopping cart.

2. The shopping cart part of it relies on following a session trail, especially when people leave your website and return to it - for instance, when they go to Pay Pal to make a payment to you and have to return with the same session id.

3. When your http pages are on one server and your https pages are on another server, on different ip addresses, the chances of maintaining that session trail are about zero.

4. The sort of system they are using is okay if you want to run something simple like a contact form from a secure URL. It's of no use at all for the sort of complex interactions required by any php based shopping cart (not just osCommerce).

5. Another company, Fasthosts, use the same setup, and no one can get osCommerce and other shopping carts to work with their shared ssl either - so I don't see why it would work any better with Easy Space.

Vger

http://status.easyspace.com/easyspace_arch...n=&id=&

Nicweb2 And SSL on fastweb

Posted on: 12 Mar 2007

We have been experiencing some outages with our web server

NICWEB 2 - 84.22.161.192

Our technicians are looking into and a new server is being provisioned to take over

Any of our customers who have shared SSL on www.fastweb.co.uk please note space on fastweb.co.uk points to nicweb 2 and customers may also be experiencing some downtime

We expect this replacement to be in place for close of business today

It appears your site has to deal with 3 servers and not 2.

Vger

You are the first person I have met who runs an osCommerce website and doesn't want to move away from Easy Space.

It doesn't matter where you get your ssl from, it's not going to work with ssl on one server with its own ip address and non-ssl on another server with a different ip address. I kinda thought I had explained that.

Vger

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a year but posting on the off chance of a reply as I find myself in the same situation. Just wondering how you moved forward from here addy282?

Easyspace (Internetters) are currently suggesting I use a .htaccess file in a subdomain with the following code to get round this:

<?

Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );

Header( "Location: https://www.fastweb.co.uk/mydomain/" );

?>

I feel quite disheartened, especially after moving to Easyspace from a previous unreliable host.

I know it's been a year but posting on the off chance of a reply as I find myself in the same situation. Just wondering how you moved forward from here addy282?

Easyspace (Internetters) are currently suggesting I use a .htaccess file in a subdomain with the following code to get round this:

<?

Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );

Header( "Location: https://www.fastweb.co.uk/mydomain/" );

?>

I feel quite disheartened, especially after moving to Easyspace from a previous unreliable host.

Hi

I suggest move hosting and then pay that little extra for a dedicated IP and a SSL cert to go with it.

Thanks for the reply marketman, kinda knew what the response would have been.

I'm responding to this thread as I think it's an appropriate place for it, and for any future users who have gone down the same unfortuneate route.

These threads have been invaluable in getting to grips with SSL:

The SSL In OsCommerce Guide For The Innocent, SSL basics and how to apply to osC

How to install SSL on OSC: A Simple 1-2-3 Instruction, Simple, straighforward instructions

They made it sound so easy.

Last November my clients wanted their site moved to a more reliable host, so I duly went ahead and moved the site to Internetters (Easyspace). Bad move?

I've installed the Protx contribution with no problems, however my problems started with obtaining an SSL certificate.

So I initially request the shared SSL be set up, only to find this is set up on a completely different server fastweb.co.uk/mydomain (as Vger rightly points out because of sessions etc. this won't work being two seperate domains?)

I have spent weeks researching this and reading many of the useful threads here and I think I've got myself more confused than when I first started out.

To make my headache even worse, the domain name is registered with one provider and through the DNS it points to the hosting of another where the site files reside (client wanted this way)?

My questions:

1. Would a dedicated SSL cert through Internetters be at all worth considering?

2. Will the domain being registered elsewhere to where the site is hosted effect the SSL?

3. Geotrust Quick SSL, Verisign etc. should I go down this route, it should work on their servers... shouldn't it?

4. Do I just bite the bullett and move to another host, a last resort if I'm honest.

5. If we HAVE to move away from the current host, can someone please advise for a UK company whose best for a dedicated IP with SSL cert.

I apologise for a long winded post, if anything it's perhaps a poor effort by me to get back to grips with this problem. Like I've read a hundred times on this forum, half the time you end up answering your own questions... here's hoping, but if anyone has any words of advice, or indeed encouragement I'd be very appreciative.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the reply marketman, kinda knew what the response would have been.

I'm responding to this thread as I think it's an appropriate place for it, and for any future users who have gone down the same unfortuneate route.

These threads have been invaluable in getting to grips with SSL:

The SSL In OsCommerce Guide For The Innocent, SSL basics and how to apply to osC

How to install SSL on OSC: A Simple 1-2-3 Instruction, Simple, straighforward instructions

They made it sound so easy.

Last November my clients wanted their site moved to a more reliable host, so I duly went ahead and moved the site to Internetters (Easyspace). Bad move?

I've installed the Protx contribution with no problems, however my problems started with obtaining an SSL certificate.

So I initially request the shared SSL be set up, only to find this is set up on a completely different server fastweb.co.uk/mydomain (as Vger rightly points out because of sessions etc. this won't work being two seperate domains?)

I have spent weeks researching this and reading many of the useful threads here and I think I've got myself more confused than when I first started out.

To make my headache even worse, the domain name is registered with one provider and through the DNS it points to the hosting of another where the site files reside (client wanted this way)?

My questions:

1. Would a dedicated SSL cert through Internetters be at all worth considering?

2. Will the domain being registered elsewhere to where the site is hosted effect the SSL?

3. Geotrust Quick SSL, Verisign etc. should I go down this route, it should work on their servers... shouldn't it?

4. Do I just bite the bullett and move to another host, a last resort if I'm honest.

5. If we HAVE to move away from the current host, can someone please advise for a UK company whose best for a dedicated IP with SSL cert.

I apologise for a long winded post, if anything it's perhaps a poor effort by me to get back to grips with this problem. Like I've read a hundred times on this forum, half the time you end up answering your own questions... here's hoping, but if anyone has any words of advice, or indeed encouragement I'd be very appreciative.

Many thanks.

I run my own hosting company as i have several websites hosted elswhere, so i thought it better to host these myself. One of my sites uses a dedicated Ip and ssl. My domain is registered through namecheap where i purchased the SSL (rapidssl)before i set up my own hosting. I set this up on my hosting with a dedigated IP with no problems. PM me for further details if you want to move host or go to easyasabc-hosting(dot)com.

Archived