• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change left column width in a custom template

Ronaldinho53

I would like to change the width of my left column from 203 to 165 and noticed that this code is in all my php files in the Catalog folder:

<tr>

<td width="203" align="right" valign="top" style="padding-right:1px; ">

<table width="203" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>

I have made changes to my column_left and index files but nothing changed. Do I have change all 37 files, or is there an easier way?

Thanks

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

GROUCHO (1895-1977)

• 2 weeks later...

I've made the following change and it seems to work well. YMMV.

In the includes folder, look for application_top.php.

You should see a line that looks like this:

// customization for the design layout

define('BOX_WIDTH', 125); // how wide the boxes should be in pixels (default: 125)

Change that number to whatever looks good to you.

Cheers!

I've made the following change and it seems to work well. YMMV.

In the includes folder, look for application_top.php.

You should see a line that looks like this:

define('BOX_WIDTH', 125); // how wide the boxes should be in pixels (default: 125)

Change that number to whatever looks good to you.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply, but I tried that already. Here is my application_top:

define('BOX_WIDTH', 120); // how wide the boxes should be in pixels (default: 125)

The actual width of my left column is 203 pixels, (not 120) which doesn't make much sense to me. There must be other files that control the column width, I just haven't found them. I even changed all the files in my includes folder (about 30 of them!) and it still didn't change. I think my main problem is that I started with a template, and I have since learned they are not easily changed. Oh well, I think I'll call it a newbie mistake and just live with it...it doesn't look that bad.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

GROUCHO (1895-1977)

Most templates are made by creating a html feature page.

Your template maker probably started with the header.php and worked down to the index.php file and then foooter. Since the page is styled to look good in the picture and not programmed for functionality making simple changes or adding and making changes are next to impossable unless you are a programmer and you probably are not or you would not have used a template in the first place.

Thanks for the reply, but I tried that already. Here is my application_top:

define('BOX_WIDTH', 120); // how wide the boxes should be in pixels (default: 125)

The actual width of my left column is 203 pixels, (not 120) which doesn't make much sense to me. There must be other files that control the column width, I just haven't found them. I even changed all the files in my includes folder (about 30 of them!) and it still didn't change. I think my main problem is that I started with a template, and I have since learned they are not easily changed. Oh well, I think I'll call it a newbie mistake and just live with it...it doesn't look that bad.

Thanks again for your suggestion!