• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Another Newbie with Problems!

Historian

I've just started to try and setup osCommerce and, I'm sure, like many beginners I'm having a few problems and I am overwhelmed trying to learn so many new things! I have skimmed through various tutorials and some parts seem very easy to understand and other parts extremely difficult!

It appears to me that producing the template that you want is the most critical part of osCommerce. I have also downloaded STS v4.5. I am hoping this will help with templates. I have osCommerce running with its demo shop, in the background, on my website. STS not installed yet).

Now to my first problem can I run osCommerce on my XP desktop? I have a reasonable knowledge of CSS and HTML, but none at all of PHP and MySQL. Any general advice would also be gratefully accepted - particularly on templates.

Hi i hope i answer some of your qestions

the first thing i learnt was that yes you can have oscommerce on your XP computer known as a local host for that you need to install MYSQL, PHP 5 and Apache, but i would recomend not to do it if you dont have good knowledge plus if you are messing around with templates and installing new contributions its always best to set a test oscommerce where you can play around plus the best way to make a template is to get a free one from the contributions and when installed start to edit the parts which you dont like such as Logo, background colour etc.

Also as a new comer my advice is dont try to remember it try to do it first and always search on forum, will help you alot more

Hope i have helped you in some parts

MR1

Have a good day

I've just started to try and setup osCommerce and, I'm sure, like many beginners I'm having a few problems and I am overwhelmed trying to learn so many new things! I have skimmed through various tutorials and some parts seem very easy to understand and other parts extremely difficult!

It appears to me that producing the template that you want is the most critical part of osCommerce. I have also downloaded STS v4.5. I am hoping this will help with templates. I have osCommerce running with its demo shop, in the background, on my website. STS not installed yet).

Now to my first problem can I run osCommerce on my XP desktop? I have a reasonable knowledge of CSS and HTML, but none at all of PHP and MySQL. Any general advice would also be gratefully accepted - particularly on templates.

Yes, but download and install wamp, then install osc under wamp. Google wamp to get info and download location.

I use almost half a gig for it and have it on a drive that does not have the pc os on it.

Thank you to MR1 & Coopco for the help.

Just one more query! If I use WAMP to install PHP, Apache & MySQL, why should I install it on a drive which does not contain the OS?

Why do people keep using these "out of date" and restricted packages??

Install Apache (MSI)

Install PHP

Install mySQL

(probably install phpmyadmin)

If you don't know how Install a local PC server onto Windows - FWR Media has a good tutorial.

Why do people keep using these "out of date" and restricted packages??

Install Apache (MSI)

Install PHP

Install mySQL

(probably install phpmyadmin)

If you don't know how Install a local PC server onto Windows - FWR Media has a good tutorial.

Hi Robert

Are you talking about all the individual install programs? I'm about to try and use Wamp as MR1 suggested. The only thing worry I have is his comment about putting it "on a drive that does not have the pc os on it." I haven't split my drive!

I had a look at the FWR tutorial and if Wamp doesn't work, then I will go through the tutorial.

Come round and show me how to do it. I'm only in Onehouse!!

David

Hi Robert

Are you talking about all the individual install programs? I'm about to try and use Wamp as MR1 suggested. The only thing worry I have is his comment about putting it "on a drive that does not have the pc os on it." I haven't split my drive!

I had a look at the FWR tutorial and if Wamp doesn't work, then I will go through the tutorial.

Come round and show me how to do it. I'm only in Onehouse!!

David

Hi David

I run mine from my std pc drive so I'm not sure what he means.

Hi David

I run mine from my std pc drive so I'm not sure what he means.

BTW david I'm actually in Rattlesden, even closer :)

Go to xampp, or type apache friends and xampp will surface. Download the windows installer and it will ask you where you want the folder to go. Make it anywhere you feel comfortable with and not to many clicks from the desktop.

Hope that helps

UGGGH!

Just load the proper server packages, you don't need these preconfigured scripts.

ONE STEP FORWARD & TWO PACES BACK!

Thank you for yor help.

I've installed STS (updating/changing the OSC files) and it appears to be working OK on my hosts server! This hopefully means I can try and work my through the STS template design. So far so good!

I have also installed WAMP on my home PC. Everything seemed OK at first. However, now I can't get the "2 services running". I was hoping that if I copied all the OSC files into the WWW directory of WAMP, that I could get WAMP etc to run OSC. I'll "play around" and try and find out what the problem is. If I can't solve it, I will uninstall WAMP and try XAMPP as suggested by Darky10.

If I can't get either of the packages working, then I don't think I would ever get the individual packages working! I will be stuck with working online.

I've had a look at http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2565 as suggested elsewhere in the forum.

For some good tutorials see my hosts website - http://www.blackfoot.co.uk/hosting/tut.html See approximately halfway down the page. They are very good and easy(?) to understand.

I don't think I will be trying the Linux route - I would have to learn Linux as well!

I'm not sure whether I am sinking or swimming at the moment!!

I have also installed WAMP on my home PC. Everything seemed OK at first. However, now I can't get the "2 services running". I was hoping that if I copied all the OSC files into the WWW directory of WAMP, that I could get WAMP etc to run OSC. I'll "play around" and try and find out what the problem is.

What specific errors are you getting?

How do you know the services are not running?

What specific errors are you getting?

How do you know the services are not running?

When I run the mouse over the WAMP icon, I get the message "WAMP5 - None of 2 services running - server Online". The only variation to that is if I'm offline - it says "server Offline".

Clicking on "Start All Services" or "Restart All Services" has no effect. Clicking on "Apache" or "MySQL" gives the following:

Aestan Tray Menu

Could not execute menu item (internal error)

[Exception] Could not perform service action:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no devices associated with it.

Clicking on "localhost", "phpMyAdmin" or "SQLiteManager" tries to open an html/php(?) page, but comes up with the message "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled" (Avant browser message).

Hmmm nothing that I recognise there.

Are you using XP or vista?

If you go

control panel>administrative tools>services can you see a listing for apache or mysql? are they started? can you start them from there?

Hmmm nothing that I recognise there.

Are you using XP or vista?

If you go

control panel>administrative tools>services can you see a listing for apache or mysql? are they started? can you start them from there?

I'm using XP.

I have found wampapache and wampmysqld in the Services. They were both disabled for some reason?

I have set them on automatic (manual may be better) and now they will start!

Thank you for that!

Next problem how to get the OSC files to open. I've copied them into the WWW sub directory, but that doesn't seem to do anything! I'll have a look around the web - Hopefully there is a WAMP help file somewhere, which will tell me what to do.

Glad to be of help.

Next suggestions ..

1) Set them to manual and only start them when you need them.

2) The server should be "offline" meaning closed to the internet. You'll still be able to access as "localhost" but the firewall should be blocking internet access to apache.

About your current problem ..

A stock apache uses htdocs as the "localhost" folder from what you are saying yours is in a folder called www instead?

make a blank notepad doc and put in it ..

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Save it into the www folder as phpinfo.php

Browse to http://localhost/phpinfo.php it should give a full breakdown of your php set up and show you that the www directory is being accessed fine.

You should copy the entire "catalog" diretory into the "www" directory. That way you can play with as many stores as you want, just give each one a new name.

If you copy "catalog" over, type this into your browser:

http://127.0.0.1/catalog/install/

Not really.

If you want multiple testers ofc you can create a new directory for each one.

However you can still do this and have an osc installation in root.

If your point was "I wonder if Historian has copied the whole catalog dir to www and he's trying to access it as just http://localhost/ as opposed to http://localhost/catalog/" then I was wondering the same thing.

Not really.

If you want multiple testers ofc you can create a new directory for each one.

Well, isn't that what I stated?

However you can still do this and have an osc installation in root.

So long as you delete the native WAMP index.php. Which, FYI, has a link to phpinfo() so no need to create one. And so long as you want one store in one place and others in another. Personally, I don't see the point in that.

If your point was "I wonder if Historian has copied the whole catalog dir to www and he's trying to access it as just http://localhost/ as opposed to http://localhost/catalog/" then I was wondering the same thing.

I wasn't making any point at all. The OP couldn't access his files, I was showing him how.

I really don't understand your post nor do I see the point of you making it.

While we're on points of view, good, bad or otherwise. Just because you read a few tutorials and managed to install a few services, I don't think it is good advice telling new users that packages such as WAMP, XAMPP or similar are "Out of date" and "Restricted". In what sense are they out of date? Do you think someone with limited to no knowledge of PHP/MySql, is going to be using the MySql client? If you want to go that far, compared to, Oracle for instance, MySql could be described as "restricted". But, it is certainly good enough and so is WAMP, XAMPP etc and they are easy to install and get running.

Ooooh ... errrrm .. no intent to offend peter.

I do not see the point of packages because they are (virtually always) out of date.

They are restricted in your options (I can run both mysql4 and mysql5 and choose which I wish to run)

There are far more restrictions but I won't go on.

Plus setting it up yourself with the ("propper current downloads") takes 20 mins max.

No worries, none taken!

I can only really comment on WAMP and XAMPP, I use them both and both are up to date. Infact, for some of the contributions, they are too up to date.

True enough regards switching MySql. However, you can download a backdated package, though that really negates the up to date argument. I use MySql 5 and make sure everything runs correctly with that. Which is probably best as all servers will upgrade sooner or later.

20 minutes setup? It may take you 20 minutes but having read a lot of the threads on here, do you think that would be the case for most? I very much doubt it and, IMO, unecessary.

Good points spax (let's be friends :) )

Newbies may well find core installs a bit intimidating, and the packages must be a godsend for those.

For you though :D have a bash at my tutorial how to install a local pc server then you can give me a right royal rollicking if it doesn't work :D

Archived