• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Parse error, T_STRING when I edit the file in File Manager

k00zk0

Hey there, I've noticed a serious problem I'm having with my setup. When I edit any one of many files, for this example I'll use english.php within /includes/languages, it breaks that file for me. Here is the error after opening the file for editing, then saving it:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /mnt/w0300/d25/s20/b0293404/www/thelostpixel.com/g3neric/catalog/includes/languages/english.php on line 79

Thats one of many files that does this. I've found the problem, and that is that upon reopening the file for editing in "File Manager" in the osCommerce administration panel, it removes a forward slash in front of areas where a single quote (') is used and where the letter n is used for something (n).

From my limited php knowledge this is something like a character telling the system to not use it to end a string but use it within the string. Well, the forward slash exists in front of the character when I save the file, and the site works, but when I click it again to edit it once more, they are all missing, breaking the file. This happens in both IE and Firefox for me. It's definitely something with the osCommerce system.

How can I edit files without the editor breaking them all the time? Thank you.

Here are the changes to show what it does incase I didn't explain it well. Your forum didn't let me edit the first post.

Saving file:  define('BOX_HEADING_WHATS_NEW', 'What\'s New?');    Website works.
Open file to edit it again:  define('BOX_HEADING_WHATS_NEW', 'What's New?');    I didn't remove the \, the editor did. Site doesn't work

Saving file:  define('JS_REVIEW_RATING', '* You must rate the product for your review.\n');    Website works.
Open file to edit it again:  define('JS_REVIEW_RATING', '* You must rate the product for your review.n');     \ is missing. Site doesn't work when i resave it.

Archived