• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easypopulate - adding product image by URL??

Erintech

Newby question (I've searched but can't find anything useful)

I want to import my products using Easypopulate - thats fine, it works very well.

I can set up the data file with the url of the image (bit like the manufacturer URL) but osC doesn't understand this and Easypopulate doesn't do the upload automatically.

How to I easily add product images using Easypopulate when I have the URL of the image?

thanks,

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ultimately, you have to use a FTP program to upload the images to your server. Once your products are created, upload the images into your /catalog/images folder and everything should work out fine.

I'm having the same challange. I have EP working great both up and down with a small sample test set. When I add new products it works great and puts them into the right catagory etc.

Now when it comes to upload the images the products do not display the images. I have tried my FTP, also the CPanel from Lunarpages, and also the Files program within the OSC admin function. The ONLY way that I can get the images to show up in the product is to go into the product, browse, preview, and update. Then and only then does it show in the product view of the store.

I am putting the images into the same folder "images" that they are in when I do it one product at a time. I have searched the forum and am fast getting frustrated.

Regards Caster (Ron Wade)

After you upload an image, go to your site and, assuming it is missing, right click on the box where the image should be (or the name if using FireFox) and select properties. The path to the image will be shown. Is it the correct path? I suspect you are probably naming the images directory in the easy populate file, which you shouldn't do.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

After you upload an image, go to your site and, assuming it is missing, right click on the box where the image should be (or the name if using FireFox) and select properties. The path to the image will be shown. Is it the correct path? I suspect you are probably naming the images directory in the easy populate file, which you shouldn't do.

Jack

Jack,

Your right, it appears that the directory is incorrect. -- http://divinewaxes.com/store/images/P48 -- The directory that I'm putting the images in is images. If I'm reading this right it is looking for the image in a sub directory P48.

Now the question is WHY. I use the P48 in the the v_products_model and v_products_image I don't put anything into the v_products_url_1

v_products_model v_products_name_1 v_products_description_1 v_products_url_1 v_products_image

P48 Mouse W/Long Tail Great little lapel pin or tie tack P48

Regards and thanks for the first reply

Caster (Ron Wade)

Jack,

.......Now the question is WHY. I use the P48 in the the v_products_model and v_products_image I don't put anything into the v_products_url_1...........

Regards and thanks for the first reply

Caster (Ron Wade)

Ok, I got part of it figured out. I had not added the .jpg and so it was treating it as a directory.

Now it is working sometimes and not others. I'll run some experiments and post what I find.

Regards Caster

If you want the image to end up in the images directory, the entry for the v_products_image column should just be the name of the image (don't include the directory name).

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, Thanks again Jack. The problem that I was creating was that I put the image name into that col without the extension of .jpg. Once I corrected that part, most of the images worked as you directed.

The other images that didn't work seemed random. So I deleted all 19 images and then did a new upload of EP with all image names AND the .jpg extension. I ended up with a store that had all descriptions but no images. I then uploaded with my FTP all of the images into the image directory. Most of them showed up. To make sure that it wasn't random, I repeated the process and did exactly the same thing again. Lo and behold all of the same images appeared and all of the ones that didn't appear did not appear again.

Next step was to go to my computer and retype in the image name into the image and do an upload. It worked, thus proving that I have some kind of embedded character in some of the image names.

My next step is to create a temp catagory and upload groups of images into that category and see if I can see each image and correct the name of each that I cannot see.

Thanks for all of your assistance. I really appreciate it and hope that this thread helps others on the batch upload of images. It is not hard just not well documented.

Bye until my next challange

Regards To All and especially Jack.

Caster (Ron Wade)