• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Live Site - Need feedback and suggestions

FusionBoutique

Hi everyone,

My website has been live since late last year. But since I didn't not do any advertising, I barely got any sales. I've recently redesigned the site and am getting a decent amount of hits everyday. However, only a tiny percentage of those hits actually buy something and I'm not sure why! Out of 200 unique hits, I get maybe one sale.

My site requires a customer to create an account. Do you think this is the reason that's driving away my customers?? I had to do this I had a lot of problems with Paypal not completing the order. I know there is a Paypal IPN contibution, but I'm not sure if I should use it due to the fact that it generates a ton of messages and it might turn customers away. Not sure what other solutions to use.

I would love some feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help!

My Store

--Mai

The Fusion Boutique

.....Out of 200 unique hits, I get maybe one sale......

My Store

That sounds about right to me. My friend has a site and he was saying he gets about a 1/400 conversion.... I guess it depends on both what you're selling and the quality of your advertising. Where are you advertising?

It would be interesting to know what kind of conversion rates people get. Are there any threads where people publish there conversion figures (hits vs sales)?

I'm new to osCommerce and have a question about something on your site - on **this** page you show alternative product images, is this a standard function of osCommerce, a contribution, or just added manually?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My website has been live since late last year. But since I didn't not do any advertising, I barely got any sales. I've recently redesigned the site and am getting a decent amount of hits everyday. However, only a tiny percentage of those hits actually buy something and I'm not sure why! Out of 200 unique hits, I get maybe one sale.

My site requires a customer to create an account. Do you think this is the reason that's driving away my customers?? I had to do this I had a lot of problems with Paypal not completing the order. I know there is a Paypal IPN contibution, but I'm not sure if I should use it due to the fact that it generates a ton of messages and it might turn customers away. Not sure what other solutions to use.

The average conversion rate is about 2.3% across the board. However, ppc traffic generally converts higher at about 4 % - I forget the exact figure. How are you bringing traffic to your website - ppc?

I think you are correct in that your checkout is costing you a lot of sales. I mean between creating an account and going to paypal to pay - your checkout is over 6 pages! Way to long. I recommend using google checkout as your primary checkout option; even though you can't create an account with it.

Also, your call to action is horrible! Terrible call to action - the crazy design you use acts as camouflage.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Hi Wicky,

I guess if that is the average conversion, I'll have to advertise a lot more! Advertising costs a lot. I used Google Adsense a couple months ago but it didn't do too well. I'm not paying for any ads at this time because it just got way to expensive. I've just been blogging a lot. That is what has been driving all my traffic right now.

As for the multiple images, it has been a while, but I think I used the "Extra Images" Contribution.

Thanks for your help!

That sounds about right to me. My friend has a site and he was saying he gets about a 1/400 conversion.... I guess it depends on both what you're selling and the quality of your advertising. Where are you advertising?

It would be interesting to know what kind of conversion rates people get. Are there any threads where people publish there conversion figures (hits vs sales)?

I'm new to osCommerce and have a question about something on your site - on **this** page you show alternative product images, is this a standard function of osCommerce, a contribution, or just added manually?

Thanks

--Mai

The Fusion Boutique

The average conversion rate is about 2.3% across the board. However, ppc traffic generally converts higher at about 4 % - I forget the exact figure. How are you bringing traffic to your website - ppc?

I think you are correct in that your checkout is costing you a lot of sales. I mean between creating an account and going to paypal to pay - your checkout is over 6 pages! Way to long. I recommend using google checkout as your primary checkout option; even though you can't create an account with it.

Also, your call to action is horrible! Terrible call to action - the crazy design you use acts as camouflage.

I did you ppc through Google but it got to expensive. Do you know any good but cheaper places?

Yea, that checkout problem has been driving my nuts! The only reason why I use paypal is because it supports USPS shipping. For some reason, you can't ship first class mail through usps.com. So I'm forced to be stuck on paypal. I must find a way around it! eckkk..

You are very right about my "call to action". I read your article (very help by the way) and I"ll be updating the button very soon.

Thanks for all your time & help.

--Mai

The Fusion Boutique

I did you ppc through Google but it got to expensive. Do you know any good but cheaper places?

Had you been in business 2 years ago, you would have found adwords quite affordable. But google changed their algorithm to penalize you for leading visitors to a landing pages not relevant to the keyword phrase or advertisement. And when I say penalize you, I mean they charge you alot more.

Interestingly enough, marketing research has proven conclusively that following this best practice is guaranteed to raise your conversion rate. So in a way, you deserve to be penalized by google.

my advice: overhaul your ppc campaign.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Had you been in business 2 years ago, you would have found adwords quite affordable. But google changed their algorithm to penalize you for leading visitors to a landing pages not relevant to the keyword phrase or advertisement. And when I say penalize you, I mean they charge you alot more.

Interestingly enough, marketing research has proven conclusively that following this best practice is guaranteed to raise your conversion rate. So in a way, you deserve to be penalized by google.

my advice: overhaul your ppc campaign.

Thanks for the tip! I will try to come up with a better list of keywords. When I was using it the first time, my keywords were way to general. I changed my 'add to cart' buttons so they are much more visible now.

--Mai

The Fusion Boutique

Thanks for the tip! I will try to come up with a better list of keywords. When I was using it the first time, my keywords were way to general. I changed my 'add to cart' buttons so they are much more visible now.

Mai,

Getting a better 'keyword list' is only one side of the equation. What Google most often penalizes people for though is when that traffic is funneled to an irrelevant page.

So don't neglect your landing pages!

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Archived