• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Somebody orders... Then What?

JetSet27

I've spent a few weeks setting up osC, and have successfully modified the appearance quite a bit to integrate with the rest of our site. But...

As ridiculous as this sounds, I cannot find anything in the documentation which concisely explains what osCommerce does after it has received an order. I know that it sends an e-mail to you, but what else happens? Does it store them in a file on the server? Where? How do you access it?

Does it actually charge the credit card, or just send you the info (which is what we would prefer). If the program sends you the credit card numbers from orders via e-mail, isn't that really insecure compared to the https:// connection that the customer uses?

I'd appreciate it if someone would point me to some information regarding this!

Thanks-

Hey Jon

So, after your order is complete - it will show up in the admin section under customers --> orders. This allows you to manage the order, process and deliver.

I use a payment gateway like authorize.net - I would not personally store cc info anywhere in my database or on my site. Shared hosting in the long run is insecure. You are correct, keep cc's out of your site. even sha1 encryption is hackable.

So, all that happens for me is that authorize.net send a payment notification to my authorize.net account - I see that it is paid, then I process the order.

Not much more to it - I keep everything tracked with quick books and I export my site to that using a contribution.

Let me know if I have been of help!

Nothing unreal exists

I've spent a few weeks setting up osC, and have successfully modified the appearance quite a bit to integrate with the rest of our site. But...

As ridiculous as this sounds, I cannot find anything in the documentation which concisely explains what osCommerce does after it has received an order. I know that it sends an e-mail to you, but what else happens? Does it store them in a file on the server? Where? How do you access it?

Does it actually charge the credit card, or just send you the info (which is what we would prefer). If the program sends you the credit card numbers from orders via e-mail, isn't that really insecure compared to the https:// connection that the customer uses?

I'd appreciate it if someone would point me to some information regarding this!

Thanks-

If you go through your checkout_process file you will see a lot of what happens.

Apart from an email being sent to the client and the store owner, several tables within your osc database are updated - most notably the orders table is populated with the order details, and the customer table(s) are updated with what this particular client order so they can view their history - and you can view this same history in your admin panel. Once you have the SSL installed, you must edit your includes/configure.php file to tell OSC that the checkout process needs to be processed using SSL. You set the path to your cert - https:// and you set SSL enabled to true.

OSC does not process credit cards. It has a payment module for you to install to accept credit card numbers online. This shoud most definitielty be setn through a secure layer using SSL - so you need to purchase a secure certificate and install it on your server. Usually the host does this. Or at the very least the host should provide a link in the control panel to do this yourself.

Unless you want to pay for real time credit card processing - then I would recommend splitting the credit card info. Under My Store there is an option to split the number - this function emails you the first four and the last four digits of the cc number, and the expiry date - and then you log into the admin panel under orders to grab the missing 8 digits. Put these together, and then you can call in your credit card transpactions for authorization manually.

You can also install other payment modules from your admin panel to accept other types of payment like cash on delivery, cheque, paypal, etc. You should also browse the payment modules offered in the contributions area of osc :

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions/category,1

Jonathan

Thanks to both of you who have replied so far. Your info is quite helpful.

We've already got a certificate and SSL in place, and I understand the security concerns about the CC numbers. That's why I couldn't believe that the program would just e-mail them! Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone ever written a narrative explanation of what this program does, to help new users? Not a manual, not a collection of disjointed "how-to's", but a two or three page document that tells you all the features osC is capable of and how the program "thinks"? I've never seen one, and I guess that's why everyone has to learn the program the hard way: "Hmm, I wonder what 'incomprehensible.php' does? Guess I'll poke around in it until I figure it out..." I know it's a right of passage, but it sure wastes a lot of time!

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll need more!

Regards from Texas.

Archived