• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

logo and contribution assistance

justedee

Hello,

I am SO new to PHP. Newbie is an understatement, I’m still on breast milk!

What is the circled area called? Honestly I am trying to find the answers on my own, but it’s hard when I call it a logo area and I’m pretty sure everyone else calls it something else.

All I want to do is change it so my logo will go all the way across and get rid of those horrid icons on the right hand side. I know it’s as easy as changing the width “SOMEWHERE”, but I don’t know where. (Yes, I’m going to change the colors – promise)

whatisthis.jpg

Also, how do you know which contribution to download?

There are quite a few contributions that look like they will help build a better site, but each time I look to download one they have 1600 files to choose from.

Also, how do I know if I even want the download – Pink buttons isn’t much of a description. Is there a place where it shows all these great buttons and templates?

whatisthis2.jpg

I have help pages and instructions coming out my ears, I’m not sure where to look any longer.

~eDee

Ya, I'm a chick and I program! What of it?

Hello,

I am SO new to PHP. Newbie is an understatement, I’m still on breast milk!

What is the circled area called? Honestly I am trying to find the answers on my own, but it’s hard when I call it a logo area and I’m pretty sure everyone else calls it something else.

All I want to do is change it so my logo will go all the way across and get rid of those horrid icons on the right hand side. I know it’s as easy as changing the width “SOMEWHERE”, but I don’t know where. (Yes, I’m going to change the colors – promise)

whatisthis.jpg

Also, how do you know which contribution to download?

There are quite a few contributions that look like they will help build a better site, but each time I look to download one they have 1600 files to choose from.

Also, how do I know if I even want the download – Pink buttons isn’t much of a description. Is there a place where it shows all these great buttons and templates?

whatisthis2.jpg

I have help pages and instructions coming out my ears, I’m not sure where to look any longer.

~eDee

One of the php files, either the index.php in the /catalog (or home directory of the site) or the includes/languages/english/index.php (or whatever your location), the header.php in the includes directory or the english.php (or whatever the language file you need to use) in the includes/languages may have the phrase you are referring to in your first question.

Regarding your second question, I can't really answer it on the specific contrib you have highlighted, however you may want to look at the ones with the version numbers and incorporate the changes from the newer contribs into the full packages.

Hope this helps.

Hey there! Welcome to OSC!

OK, your first question is what is the area I am circling.

Well, that can have a number of answers. If you where referring to it from a design standpoint, you would say the masthead, or header. Don't confuse this with php 'headers' - I know that probably does not make sense now, but it will eventually. What you are looking at though is the catalog logo, and the various buttons that allow you to manage your account and store. The small bar below the catalog log is (Left) the breadcrumbs, that let you know where you are at in the page and ® your login, account settings and checkout and cart.

So, from what you have asked, you want to drastically change the way the site looks. This can be a daunting task if you are not experienced in making changes to dynamic php sites. But there is an answer! use a template system!

The one I use is STS - it's in contributions and a lot of people use it. There are variants on this contribution as well, so do your homework and read all the documentation to find out what you want. Even with a template system, the key is to using css and the template system to change your layout.

-------------------------------------------------

As for you second question, use contributions at your own risk. The key is backing up and finding which version works for you. The rule is usually to take a higher version number, however that is not always the case - another rule is if there is not support thread for the contribution, you are pretty much on your own. This part of the forum is made for general support, there is another contributions.

I hope that helps!

Nothing unreal exists

kirikintha and pmeswani,

Thank you for your assistance.

kirikintha,

Funny you should mention STS, I had that contribution already open.

That is what prompted question 2. I think there are 2 dozen files that can be downloaded which one do I chose? Or should I download all of them.

1 more question before I remove that black space, is that for paid banners?

I’m talking about the section between my logo and the horrid icons?

Thanks again,

~eDee

I'm using STS 4.3.3 - but they look like they have made changes since then - you never know it might work better! Just download the one file - actually there may be one for the core files and documentation get both - if you are using another distribution, 4.4 or whatever, it may only be one file to download.

Backspace? sorry do you mean whitespace?

Nothing unreal exists

I'm using STS 4.3.3 - but they look like they have made changes since then - you never know it might work better! Just download the one file - actually there may be one for the core files and documentation get both - if you are using another distribution, 4.4 or whatever, it may only be one file to download.

Backspace? sorry do you mean whitespace?

Laugh - actually I meant blank space, but yes white space works. The space between my KeeperBay.com logo and the horrid icons.

thanks again.

~eDee

(PS thinking of keeping icons, just changing image. Pregnant chicks - ugh!)

1 more question before I remove that black space, is that for paid banners?

I’m talking about the section between my logo and the horrid icons?

Actually, it designed this way, one table 1 row by 2 columns, one side for logo one side for your horrid icons.

Open header.php to remove those horrid icons that you mentioned...

Feel free to ask me question regarding re-designning osCommerce

Actually, it designed this way, one table 1 row by 2 columns, one side for logo one side for your horrid icons.

Open header.php to remove those horrid icons that you mentioned...

Feel free to ask me question regarding re-designning osCommerce

Well, since you offered :rolleyes:

Is it this part that I need to remove?

<tr class="headerNavigation">

<td class="headerNavigation"> <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>

<td align="right" class="headerNavigation"><?php if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) { ?><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF; ?></a> | <?php } ?><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT; ?></a> | <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS; ?></a> | <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT; ?></a> </td>

</tr>

OR

Maybe this one?

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr class="header">

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td align="right" valign="bottom"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_account.gif', HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT) . '</a> <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_cart.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS) . '</a> <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_checkout.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?> </td>

</tr>

</table>

If so, what exactly should I delete. I know I don't want to delete to much.

Thank you so much for your assestance.

~eDee

Oh I GOT IT!!!

Thank you for your help. I found it and it looks good.

KeeperBay.com Yes, I know I need to change the colors!

~eDee

Well, since you offered :rolleyes:

Is it this part that I need to remove?

<tr class="headerNavigation">

<td class="headerNavigation"> <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>

<td align="right" class="headerNavigation"><?php if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) { ?><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF; ?></a> | <?php } ?><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT; ?></a> | <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS; ?></a> | <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT; ?></a> </td>

</tr>

OR

Maybe this one?

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr class="header">

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td align="right" valign="bottom"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_account.gif', HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT) . '</a> <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_cart.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS) . '</a> <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_checkout.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?> </td>

</tr>

</table>

If so, what exactly should I delete. I know I don't want to delete to much.

Thank you so much for your assestance.

~eDee

Archived