• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help Understanding of databases w/ OsCommerce

kade119

hey all,

I am very new to this and just want to understand a little more before I jump right in anymore than I already have, Do I use the database to just store all the oscommerce files? does the databse just organize all the products and list them in a certain order?

.. anyoneo got an article link about shoppincarts and databases.. b/c i got alot of questions

No, the files are separate from the database. The database is just a collection of data. The files contain the code to extract that data and make use of it. There shouldn't be a reason for you to be messing with the database initially. Eventually, you will make changes to it but for now, let the code handle all of that for you. If you want more information abou the database, you could search the web for mysql, which is the type of database system oscommerce uses.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No, the files are separate from the database. The database is just a collection of data. The files contain the code to extract that data and make use of it. There shouldn't be a reason for you to be messing with the database initially. Eventually, you will make changes to it but for now, let the code handle all of that for you. If you want more information abou the database, you could search the web for mysql, which is the type of database system oscommerce uses.

Jack

ok, but when I want to insert all of my products and images for them.. i thought that you make a file that list all of them and then the php retrieves it.. so where do i insert all of my products?

You have to enter your products one at a time, as mentioned. Or you can install the Easy Populate contribution that will allow you upload them using a spreadsheet file.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived