• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

General Oscommerce & EP Installing questions for first time user

hsappleton

Hi

I am new to Oscommerce. I have a couple of questions I need help on:

1) I have installed osCommerce 2.2-MS2 from my web hosting company application. According to the option given to me when i did the installation, I end up installing on the root path. For some reason I am feeling uncomfortable with this and is thinking of uninstalling and re-install it again. Is there a disadvantage or security concerns in installing in the root directory.

2) As mentioned above, i installed through my web hoster interface and may not have selected the correct options, but i did not get an email as i expected with the links. I had to ask my programmer for a link to the admin page. Now I get to admin page without a login. This is definately a security issue here for me, dont' you think?

3) Is Easy populate a part of the installation? I paid my programmer to install Easy Populate and to show me how to upload the database. Sine I am planning to do a fresh install, I do not want to have to pay him again for installing Easy populate, as I now understand how to upload the database-I am not trying t get a refund from him.

regards

Ok, while waiting i figured out some of the problems myself:

1) I did not get a login for Admin because I did not complete the final part of the installation. I definately will have to delete this installation and start over again.

2) Easy Populate is not included. Aparently the programmer installed it! Now, I guess I will just have to learn how to install Easy Populate

3) I now still need to know where is the best installation directory. Should I make a seperate directory or use the root directory?

regards

3) I now still need to know where is the best installation directory. Should I make a seperate directory or use the root directory?

Usually the root directory is fine. The installation should create a new folder 'catalog' and everything will be installed there. By creating another directory and installing osC in it, you really will not accomplish anything.

Lloyd

Usually the root directory is fine. The installation should create a new folder 'catalog' and everything will be installed there. By creating another directory and installing osC in it, you really will not accomplish anything.

thanks for the response. I used Fantastico from my web host to install oscommerce and i left the field blank and it installed in the root and did not create a 'catalog' folder. But I believe nothing special will be accomplished by creating another folder. I will continue using the root folder.

Regards

Did it spread all your pages out amoung your other website pages? If so, then I would create another folder to place it in just to keep the pages together - ease of editing, finding,, so on..

Sorry, I m not familiar with Fantastico,, but it really would be better to keep all of osC in 1 folder. A default installation installs the store on your website in one folder called 'catalog'.

Really its more of personal preferance, but if you should ever need to find one page in osC and you have a lot of other pages on your site it would be easier.

Lloyd

Archived