• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is there a contribution to upload digital downloads to /downloads?

ryanbehrman

Can't you log into your web host account Control Panel and upload from there? Just open the downloads folder and click upload, point to the file on your local machine and go.

Sure, but assuming you don't want the site administrator on a large site to have to log into your hosting control panel, or you want different levels of security on your hosting environment, or you may not have a control panel (as some hosts don't). Also, it saves having to log into your control panel or hosting account every time you want to upload files (imagine you have to add new stock or update stock quantities several times daily). It will be much easier if you do it all at the same time (add filename and click upload - DONE!).

Or is it just me? Does anyone else think this would be useful? Would you use such a contribution?

Sure, but assuming you don't want the site administrator on a large site to have to log into your hosting control panel, or you want different levels of security on your hosting environment, or you may not have a control panel (as some hosts don't). Also, it saves having to log into your control panel or hosting account every time you want to upload files (imagine you have to add new stock or update stock quantities several times daily). It will be much easier if you do it all at the same time (add filename and click upload - DONE!).

Or is it just me? Does anyone else think this would be useful? Would you use such a contribution?

I think Filezilla (or other FTP) would be easy. I guess I misunderstood your question. I haven't seen any contributions dealing with what you want to do. Sorry, I couldn't be of help.

I think Filezilla (or other FTP) would be easy. I guess I misunderstood your question. I haven't seen any contributions dealing with what you want to do. Sorry, I couldn't be of help.

You were of help! Thanks :)

I'm just trying to see if people think it will help them. Filezilla and other FTP works, but then the person who uploads has access to an FTP client which is harder to lock down very strict permissions. With PHP you can specify max-filesize , filetype etc. which could be added to the contribution later. But most important in the beginning is it will save time because you won't need a separate FTP application - you will be able to do everything from osCommerce admin screen! See my point now? :)

You were of help! Thanks :)

I'm just trying to see if people think it will help them. Filezilla and other FTP works, but then the person who uploads has access to an FTP client which is harder to lock down very strict permissions. With PHP you can specify max-filesize , filetype etc. which could be added to the contribution later. But most important in the beginning is it will save time because you won't need a separate FTP application - you will be able to do everything from osCommerce admin screen! See my point now? :)

Ryan, I can see this as being useful. I have a lot of clients who don't know their way around tech stuff (and niether do they want to know) and I can see where this would be beneficial to them.

Uploading Permissions on the "download" folder should not be an issue as long as you have the owner setup to read, write, execute and all others set to read, execute.

Here is something that may be of interest to your new contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,download

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Ryan, I can see this as being useful. I have a lot of clients who don't know their way around tech stuff (and niether do they want to know) and I can see where this would be beneficial to them.

Uploading Permissions on the "download" folder should not be an issue as long as you have the owner setup to read, write, execute and all others set to read, execute.

Here is something that may be of interest to your new contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,download

Thanks Bill. That contribution link you posted would be unnecessary if the file were to be uploaded and named in the same HTTP post request, which is what I'm planning on doing.

I'm glad to know that you would find such a contribution useful. I thought for a moment I was the only one! ;)

Does anyone see any further security issues? I don't, but I just want to be sure! :)

• 1 month later...

A contribution like that would be great for me! I've tried do something like that, but I havn't managed to get right yet. So if you've done something about it, please put it out asap.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't you just steal the upload code from the osCommerce image upload script (in the catalog admin panel) and fiddle with it to allow different extensions and sizes etc?

Why re-invent the wheel?

Couldn't you just steal the upload code from the osCommerce image upload script (in the catalog admin panel) and fiddle with it to allow different extensions and sizes etc?

Why re-invent the wheel?

I've only worked with oscommerce and installing mods, know enough to understand general things and where things are located to be dangerous. Is that something that would be fast to whip up? I'm all for not reinventing the wheel.

This would be such a great feature as some of my designers who upload product in my store don't have ftp programs or know how to work with them. It would certainly save me a lot of time.

Can it be set up so you could pick which folder in the downloads area you would like to put the uploaded file in?

If anyone can get this to work, I would be very greatful. I'm excellent in Photoshop and image manipulation if anyone wanted to trade for coding service. I'd be more than happy to post the code here or help answer questions in the future.

Great idea..look forward to seeing results...will this help the end process. i.e. once a customer purchases a download the links actually work once payment is completed..I like many others have had no end of problem with this..whether it be expiry dates being haywire and download link not being there for customers who do not create an account...

An all dancing contribution which will do this for uploads/downloads would be like the holy grail for all of us who offer digital products...I watch with keen interest..

Archived