• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ethical Question

astrospook

Names and people and companies will not be mentioned to protect the innocent. (I have always wanted to say that) Ok. Here is the situation. I partnered up with a friend of mine about a year ago to start selling items online via ebay, amazon, etc. He had a very good supplier and the markup would be be easy to manipulate and still be in the ballgame. So, without much business discussion we created an LLC and started trying to sell goods. We soon found out that selling on ebay, amazon and others was not very profitible. So I started doing research on Open Source E-commerce solutions. Now I have to preface this with (my partner is as dumb as a rock when it comes to the internet and programming. I mean I love the man but come on......when you don't understand how to copy and paste something....). The initial intention was that any profit that we make would be split 50/50. So I created an oscommerce site with approximatly 10,000 products. Yes, 10,000 products. The site is up and running now and I am the one who makes all the updates, implements contributions, and tries to promote online. Here comes the problem. We sell way to many products to have a marke niche. So after a long discussion with a SEO consultant yesterday we (the consultant and I) came up with the conclusion that we should not be selling that vast assortment of products. So I did some thinking and found a product line within the same distributor that would sell reasonably well. Then I did some more research and found an awesome domain name. So, here is the question. Do you think it is ethical to create another site by myself and focus on this one line of products and not involve him. The thing is, I could cut mine and my partner's current site down to fit the aspect of a one product line store but I, again, would be doing all the work. I guess I feel bad because he is a good friend and he is the one who found the great supplier. But that is about all he does. What do you think.

Names and people and companies will not be mentioned to protect the innocent. (I have always wanted to say that) Ok. Here is the situation. I partnered up with a friend of mine about a year ago to start selling items online via ebay, amazon, etc. He had a very good supplier and the markup would be be easy to manipulate and still be in the ballgame. So, without much business discussion we created an LLC and started trying to sell goods. We soon found out that selling on ebay, amazon and others was not very profitible. So I started doing research on Open Source E-commerce solutions. Now I have to preface this with (my partner is as dumb as a rock when it comes to the internet and programming. I mean I love the man but come on......when you don't understand how to copy and paste something....). The initial intention was that any profit that we make would be split 50/50. So I created an oscommerce site with approximatly 10,000 products. Yes, 10,000 products. The site is up and running now and I am the one who makes all the updates, implements contributions, and tries to promote online. Here comes the problem. We sell way to many products to have a marke niche. So after a long discussion with a SEO consultant yesterday we (the consultant and I) came up with the conclusion that we should not be selling that vast assortment of products. So I did some thinking and found a product line within the same distributor that would sell reasonably well. Then I did some more research and found an awesome domain name. So, here is the question. Do you think it is ethical to create another site by myself and focus on this one line of products and not involve him. The thing is, I could cut mine and my partner's current site down to fit the aspect of a one product line store but I, again, would be doing all the work. I guess I feel bad because he is a good friend and he is the one who found the great supplier. But that is about all he does. What do you think.

I don't know what to say; except, that your friend probably doesn't understand in the least what the benefits of a vertical business are. So I can see how this endeavor is probably just your effort only. Sorry, maybe someone else can offer you advice which is actually useful.

Al-Pacino-as-Michael200.jpg

"friends and money.... Oil and water"

-Michael Corleone

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

As long as ou do not use the code from the old shop, you should start with a fresh install of OS commerce.

As long as the cuntomers from the old site are not encouraged to use the new site.

And as long as you tell the Partner of the old site your full intentions then you should be okay.

It may be the old site partner would want to contribute to the new shop and for a return on his investment and would still want some influence. For example we started of with one site, selling computer parts as part of our repairs service. (oscommerce based) We also quicly found a niche market in Hydroponics, we set a site up sell these products too. We asked a friend to help, we provided the site the data entry and the hosting, he provided some knowledge into the products. We hold the stock we keep here, he had trade prices on all the kit, and a % on what we sold for the first year. He went off and started his own site. (with HTML he learnt from a book!)

We are looking towards a skate shop, run online and at the local park from a van, we are also thinking about a niche market record shop aswell. We will be looking for a partener to cover the costs of the server and inital stock. We have a machine running for each shop, hosted from home with a 8mb dedictaed line for the shops only.

You could give your old partner option to invest if he turns down the chance then your on your own, with a new shop, but if he says yes he would like to invest then you can use the old code and database but regenotiate your cut, or even pay yourself for the extra work you do. Making your cut indicitve of your labour.

Hope this helps, best to be nice though!

Archived