• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Wich template system is the best ?

bedfordch

I know this topic will be a fight place for peoples using one template system or an other, but as a future user of OsCommerce, I'd like your "constructive" help on choosing a system.

They are plenty of template systems, some are free, some not. So here are my requirements for those who already use one and by the way do the right choice since I want to start with OScommerce in the best way.

required features

- very easy to change things (one page to change and a CSS to manage all the layout and the files (top, left, bottom, right, boxes...))

- possibility to change place of menu and differents boxes (for example to be able to put the menu on the top or right easely)

- possibility to change buttons, colors, text font, left menu (I hate those ->...) easely without changing much files.

- possibility to send template graphic files to the graphic designer and have them returned to put in the template without asking him to know PHP, MySQL....

- Working with the last OsCommerce version

- would be a plus: lot of free templates over internet for the selected system to start from (some templates will be done internally).

- possibility to add new contributions without changing 200 files... (like a news ticker, a random article choice...)anything.

I know some are the "basic" features we may ask to a template system, but I've read people not being happy with a ts because too hard to manage.

Also a "plus" that would be interesting for what I want to do: the possibility to have many templates for a website and let the user change templates online without passing by the admin console.

I remind you, I'm a newbie with OScommerce, I've just downloaded the last version, not installed it yet. I've seen some template systems and don't know if I would preferably go to those (Zend, CreLoaded or even Joomla as it integrates OsCommerce)....

For now I only need a shopping cart but maybe later I'll need more but can still keep things separated.

Thanks for your tips and help to start in the best conditions.

Bob

Edited by bedfordch

You may be confused about the template systems. There are only two: BTS and STS. Most, or maybe all, of the forks use BTS. Based on your list, you would have to use BTS.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You may be confused about the template systems. There are only two: BTS and STS. Most, or maybe all, of the forks use BTS. Based on your list, you would have to use BTS.

Jack

Thanks for your informations. As I've seen Zeos and CREloaded are "packages" that contains a template system. Maybe I mis-understood.

For STS or BTS: reading around, STS is far easier to use (1 HTML file and a CSS file). Isn't right ? BTS is the most powerfull one ?

Thanks for precisions.

Bob

Thanks for your informations. As I've seen Zeos and CREloaded are "packages" that contains a template system. Maybe I mis-understood.

For STS or BTS: reading around, STS is far easier to use (1 HTML file and a CSS file). Isn't right ? BTS is the most powerfull one ?

Thanks for precisions.

Bob

BTS is not the most powerful one.

STS can be as robust as you want it to be:

• One template for your entire store or...
  • A template for every specific category, product, page, etc in your store...
  • One template for your infoboxes or...
  • A template for every specific infobox, even custom infoboxes
  • A template for your header, footer, etc, depending upon category, product, page, etc...
  • The list goes on & on & on &.......well, hopefully you get the point.

Also, it should be noted that STS is far more updated and supported than BTS.

Just my two cents.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I agree with Bill. If you are going to go with one, STS is the one to use. But if you need the option of changing the look with pre-built templates, then BTS is the one. Most people don't need this option and all BTS ends up doing is making a mess of the code.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons