• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

TO ALL POSTERS! Please give more information

kirikintha

I was just noticing, that some of the posting etiquette is not being followed to terribly well. specifically, with the detail in which one is posting.

1st - search these boards. A lot of questions have already been answered. If you are really stuck, try searching through a major search engine. I have found a lot of "hidden" posts that way. Especially with the 10x errors, installation or SQL errors. most have been solved!

2nd - Give tons of information. what this means is:

Operating system, web server environment, hosting company, what version of OSC, if you have made modifications, if you are using contributions, is this your first install, it can just keep going and going...

The point is, something like "it doesn't work" is useless in solving a problem. Did it generate an error? if so what was it? Does it do anything at all, is it stuck, etc, etc.

Also, if you do not know how to look at server logs or errors, you need a primer on how to use the web environment with more skill. OSC is not meant to be used by people who are making their first web site with it. That can be disastrous in the learning curve and you will pull your hair out.

3rd - make a physical backup of everything, I thought I just throw that in there. I have "builds" of OSC that go all the way from the original distribution to probably version 17 which I am on. Anytime I make a modification, I make a copy. And I export my databases to .sql frequently!

4th - if you do have code to post, please post only the relevant code that you have worked with, putting in a whole page is usually too much, although sometimes relevant.

5th - try an remember your net-iquette! Smilies and everything are great, but remember to be courteous - comments like "HELLPPPPPP" and "NOOB" are all hard to decipher in the long run and people may just ignore you. Once again, "it didn't work" does not help here at all.

6th - I am bad about this as well, but if you do get you post solved why not try and putting a "SOLVED" in the topic title - I think this is just a good idea and something I am trying to remember to do as well.

7 - Remember OSC is built by a lot of different people, it may not be able to accommodate everything you are doing without getting past a huge learning curve. Also right now in the current build there are gotcha's everywhere, OSC will become a great standard eventually, but right now I would classify it more as web 1.0 rather than web 2.0. Just remember we are all here to help each other, and no one is really getting paid for it!

Thanks for listening!

Anyway I can get this post pinned to the top? I think it's important!

Nothing unreal exists

I was just noticing, that some of the posting etiquette is not being followed to terribly well. specifically, with the detail in which one is posting.

1st - search these boards. A lot of questions have already been answered. If you are really stuck, try searching through a major search engine. I have found a lot of "hidden" posts that way. Especially with the 10x errors, installation or SQL errors. most have been solved!

Hi

Expanding on point 1. I see loads of posts saying "how do you change the text on the main page?". Already answered 100s of times but read what the front page says. On my default install it's highlighted in bright green. No offense but if for some reason you can't see bright green try this, assuming of course you are working locally on a Windows machine.

Open windows explorer, right click on your OSC folder and pick search. Type *.php in the search for files box and type "See What We Have Here" (without quotes) and pick search. For the uninitiated, searching for "Let's See What We Have Here" won't work because the apostrophe has to be escaped "Let'\s See What We Have Here"

Hey presto, it finds the file /includes/languages/english/index.php - the same file that is highlighted in bright green.

Hope this little tip helps others

Ian

Expanding on point 1 (a little further..)

I would like to repeat some of the search engine tips for finding EXACTLY what you need in a hurry:

1. How to Use Google Search in the forums
    site:http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/f12 links

This little search string will search the "Tips & Tricks" section of the boards for anything that has to do with "links". Replace "links" with what ever you need to find in the "Tips & Tricks" osCommerce forum.

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions simple template system

This little search string will search the Contribution section for the "simple template system" contribution. HINT: Replace "simple template system" with a name of a contribution that you are searching for.

site:www.oscommerce.com/forums bkellum

This little search string will search the osCommerce forums for any post by "bkellum". I can't understand why you would want to find this guys posts but at least the search string should be helpful.

Have you ever noticed the "Lo-Fi version" text link at the bottom of a forum thread? Well, you can use that to search just a particular thread for your topic.
    Here's how:
    Click on the Lo-Fi version link. Copy the URL. Now, paste that URL into Google search, but delete the .html from the end of the link.
    So, to search the Simple Template System 100 plus page thread for "infobox template", I would go to the Simple Template System thread, then click on the Lo-Fi version link, copy that link, and then paste it into my google search. I would delete the .html part at the end so my string would look like this:

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t204381 "infobox template"

2. I also use Google Bookmarks so that I can save my most common Lo-Fi version thread searches to always have them within a click of a button. This is a real time saver. :thumbsup:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

The reason of bumping this thread is beyond me. The points made are true and helpful. But your assuming that they are read. If things on here were read then half of the questions would not be asked. Just like in a thread the other day someone says I don't feel like reading 70 pages of this thread where can I find this. Well its in the 100 pages of the documentation that your not going to feel like reading either. People have better things to do then come to a thread because someone put bump in a post.

OSC is not meant to be used by people who are making their first web site with it. That can be disastrous in the learning curve and you will pull your hair out.

I say this for all new users of any product...

When someone tells you to use a different product because you do not know about the new one you are using, laugh at them and always thank the people that really help.

Or take the above advice and never do anything you don't know how to do. :thumbsup:

And more so, kirikintha is not a spokesperson for osCommerce, as they would not ask you to use a different product until you understand how to use theirs.

Fair enough :D No more bumping of this thread - but I still think they should pin something like this to the top of this board so people will read it before making a post. If it stops the board from being flooded with questions that have already been answered I think it would be a better idea than not. IMHO.

Nothing unreal exists

Make a new thread covering all questions and providing all answers and people wont ask them anymore.

Or organize the search so I can find the answer to my question, and not pointless posts like this, that tell people to search (I found this in a search) for every 1 repeat question, people like you post 5 pointless complaints, so who floods the forum?

Me the new person asking a question, or you the older member complaining about me asking questions..... in a support forum ;)

Uh...sorry if I offended anyone. Just trying to be helpful. :blush:

No one is mean spirited, kirikintha helped me with a problem just after this.

It is never mean to point out the true source of forum flooding. ;)

But I guess sarcasm is always welcomed.

Archived