• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Register Globals: On vs. Off

chrisgeek

I am new to OSC. My host allows me to turn on Register_Globals.

Option 1) Should I turn on Register Globals and use OSC without the Register_Globals patch

- OR -

Option 2) Should I turn off Register_Globals and use the patch in the contributions.

And why?

Also, if I go with option 1, how hard would it be to switch to option 2, and vice versa?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Chris

Running with register globals on causes a security hole to exist in the code. How important that is is up for debate. Hackers can certainly use it to cause problems with your shop. The question is, will they? Oscommerce shops have ran for years without having someone use that hole against them. But that doesn't mean your shop won't be hacked tomorrow. So the safer way to do it is to turn it off.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Running with register globals on causes a security hole to exist in the code. How important that is is up for debate. Hackers can certainly use it to cause problems with your shop. The question is, will they? Oscommerce shops have ran for years without having someone use that hole against them. But that doesn't mean your shop won't be hacked tomorrow. So the safer way to do it is to turn it off.

Jack

Thank you Jack! How hard is it to switch between the two?

Archived