• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Trouble with IE (Firefox OK).

Hi developers,

I'm installing a new oscommerce site, but I need a bit of your wisdom to finish.

The site was tested in Firefox and all is OK, but when I see the site in IE6 the column right is bad parsed and the body table shows too much width:

http://www.techocoquiero.com/chocotienda/

But the most weird thing, is that if you click in other link (i.e. a category link or contact us) the index tables fix and when you click Home the body shows fine.

It is a weird trouble, since this happens every time I clear the cookies and temp files, and other users tell me that happens only the 1st time enter to the store.

Any advice about this weird trouble?

you need to add another stylesheet for IE

there is a hackless way to do it - look through my posts, I have posted this before.

table processing is different in IE than it is in firefox.

Nothing unreal exists

there is a hackless way to do it - look through my posts, I have posted this before.

table processing is different in IE than it is in firefox.

I try to find the hack in style sheet but I have'nt luck in searching.

I attach my style.css, index.php, column right.php and search box if these can help to see more clearly the trouble.

http://www.techocoquiero.com/chocotienda/chocotienda.rar

I try to find the hack in style sheet but I have'nt luck in searching.

I attach my style.css, index.php, column right.php and search box if these can help to see more clearly the trouble.

http://www.techocoquiero.com/chocotienda/chocotienda.rar

This is what you want to look at:

http://www.zimbio.com/portal/Css+Style+Sheets/blog/5

You need 2 CSS files, one for IE and one for everything else.

Nothing unreal exists

This is what you want to look at:

http://www.zimbio.com/portal/Css+Style+Sheets/blog/5

You need 2 CSS files, one for IE and one for everything else.

Many thanks Kirikintha, but the link is a bit simple to understand what problem generates this strange behavior (the 1st time I load the store in IE it shows bad, then I click in another link inside the store, and this fixes).

I don't understand why this happends, and I appreciate so much your hints.

Any more opinions?

Hey Christian!

NOTE: the script that runs on the index.php (or other files) is

<?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?>

just so you know where to look for how it is being generated

No problem - most likely the tables that are created by the new_products.php page are set to 100% width, or no width declaration at all, or there may even be no tables depending on how you got your version of OSC.

Also in this case, there are most likely tables nested in side of tables, and in IE - it does not respect cell padding, border collapse, height and even sometimes width. There are many times when I have to set two different widths for Mozilla/Netscape and IE.

I do not know what your new_products.php info box looks like, but here is mine:

$info_box_contents[$row][$col] = array('align' => '',
									   'params' => '',
									   'text' =>'
<td>
<table class="newProductsBox" height="140" width="230"><tr><td>
<td width="12" align="center" valign="top"></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><br>'. $theImgLink .'
<td width="120" valign="top">
<table width="100%" height="112px"  border="0" cellpadding="4">
  <tr>
	<td align="left" valign="top"><span class="newProductsBoxA">' . $new_products['products_name'] .'</span><br>
  <span class="newProductsBoxB">Item Number ' . $new_products['products_id'] . '</span><br>
  <h2 class="newProductsBoxP">' . $currencies->display_price($new_products['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($new_products['products_tax_class_id'])) .'</h2>
  '. $theLink .'
  </tr>
</table></td>
  </td></tr></table>
</td>
');

You'll notice that I have a table set to specific widths/heights, also this table has rows and columns, some of which also have specific widths/heights. The reason why I did this was so that the 'box' did not go over a specific width - this is what is happening in your site. I don't know if this specific code is useful to you, but something like this inside of here should make your layout stay within the specified width. Most likely your code is going to look drastically different than this.

I hope this helps, you problem is one of the quirks of OSC.

Nothing unreal exists

You do not have to add another stylesheet for IE. The page is badly coded - this just needs fixing and it will work fine in both browsers. The problem lies in the header table at the top. If you take that out - the page renders just fine in IE. I would start there....

Hey Christian!

NOTE: the script that runs on the index.php (or other files) is

<?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?>

just so you know where to look for how it is being generated

No problem - most likely the tables that are created by the new_products.php page are set to 100% width, or no width declaration at all, or there may even be no tables depending on how you got your version of OSC.

Also in this case, there are most likely tables nested in side of tables, and in IE - it does not respect cell padding, border collapse, height and even sometimes width. There are many times when I have to set two different widths for Mozilla/Netscape and IE.

I do not know what your new_products.php info box looks like, but here is mine:

$info_box_contents[$row][$col] = array('align' => '',
									   'params' => '',
									   'text' =>'
<td>
<table class="newProductsBox" height="140" width="230"><tr><td>
<td width="12" align="center" valign="top"></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><br>'. $theImgLink .'
<td width="120" valign="top">
<table width="100%" height="112px"  border="0" cellpadding="4">
  <tr>
	<td align="left" valign="top"><span class="newProductsBoxA">' . $new_products['products_name'] .'</span><br>
  <span class="newProductsBoxB">Item Number ' . $new_products['products_id'] . '</span><br>
  <h2 class="newProductsBoxP">' . $currencies->display_price($new_products['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($new_products['products_tax_class_id'])) .'</h2>
  '. $theLink .'
  </tr>
</table></td>
  </td></tr></table>
</td>
');

You'll notice that I have a table set to specific widths/heights, also this table has rows and columns, some of which also have specific widths/heights. The reason why I did this was so that the 'box' did not go over a specific width - this is what is happening in your site. I don't know if this specific code is useful to you, but something like this inside of here should make your layout stay within the specified width. Most likely your code is going to look drastically different than this.

I hope this helps, you problem is one of the quirks of OSC.

Thanks Jasonabc, do you be more precise about the header table to fix? Where do i can find it, maybe in catalog/includes/header.php ?

I added the catalog/includes/modules/new_products.php and catalog/includes/header.php so caould be more easy to detect the error, since I'm not so good in PHP but I try to learn from best people like yours.

http://www.techocoquiero.com/chocotienda/catalog.rar

Thanks in advance.

The problem is you have an OSC template. These are often badly and/or hard coded. The code for that table could be any number of places - at a guess I'd say /index.php. View the source code and work back from there. The table that is causing the problem starts here:

<table width="722" style="border:1px solid #DED9C5;" height="111" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

The problem is you have an OSC template. These are often badly and/or hard coded. The code for that table could be any number of places - at a guess I'd say /index.php. View the source code and work back from there. The table that is causing the problem starts here:

<table width="722" style="border:1px solid #DED9C5;" height="111" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

I'm try modifying the header.php; index.php; and new_products.php and cannot fix the tables :(

Can anybody help me?

That's cool no worries - did you modify the code, and place another table in the info box? If not, try doing that - just a simple table at first, then move up and add stuff - if not, you need to use a combination of div tags and tables, or just div/span tags. It just depends. LMK and we'll go from there

Nothing unreal exists

I sent you a brief pm with some info related to this trouble.

Thanks Kirikintha

Hi all,

my problem is not only borders, margins, etc. My problem is that my product_info.php shows a blankpage in IE and perfect in Firefox.

Please look: catalancooking.com

I searched many posts with this problem, tried many solutions but nothing works.

The most strange thing is that the source of the file is there! The page is correctly generated (copy it and watch in Dreamweaver) but IE shows nothing!!!!

Does Microsoft hates me as much as I hate them????

Thanks in advance for your help from a desperate human being.

I sent you a brief pm with some info related to this trouble.

Thanks Kirikintha

Hi all,

my problem is not only borders, margins, etc. My problem is that my product_info.php shows a blankpage in IE and perfect in Firefox.

Please look: catalancooking.com

I searched many posts with this problem, tried many solutions but nothing works.

The most strange thing is that the source of the file is there! The page is correctly generated (copy it and watch in Dreamweaver) but IE shows nothing!!!!

Does Microsoft hates me as much as I hate them????

Thanks in advance for your help from a desperate human being.

Hi all,

before rushing into conclusions disable (set to false) the friendly urls from your osc admin->configuration->my store. What's the purpose of having them on? It does state "Still in development" and the default is false.

If you need seo urls get an seo url module from the contributions. One that provides meaningful links to spiders.

before rushing into conclusions disable (set to false) the friendly urls from your osc admin->configuration->my store. What's the purpose of having them on? It does state "Still in development" and the default is false.

If you need seo urls get an seo url module from the contributions. One that provides meaningful links to spiders.

Well thanks for the comment. It's easy to rush after some hours trying to find out what's happening...

I turned OFF SEO Urls and...

Now my URLs have become of the style: http://www.catalancooking.comindex.php/ so nothing works....

Feedback would be really appreciated.

Well thanks for the comment. It's easy to rush after some hours trying to find out what's happening...

I turned OFF SEO Urls and...

Now my URLs have become of the style: http://www.catalancooking.comindex.php/ so nothing works....

Feedback would be really appreciated.

Ok nevermind, this is solved with define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');

BUT anyway I still get blank pages in product_info.php but only with IE

Ok nevermind, this is solved with define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');

BUT anyway I still get blank pages in product_info.php but only with IE

well I don't, and IE works fine. Can you clear your browser's cache just in case.

well I don't, and IE works fine. Can you clear your browser's cache just in case.

Really? You don't get blank pages with IE?? I can't understand... I've called a couple of friends to watch it and they also found blank pages....

I cleared my cache over 1000 times today...

yes everything looks good, using ie6....but it could be my browser's settings as I block everything about active scripting. You have some embeded objects you may want to check the html for them it shows errors with the w3c validator.

http://validator.w3.org

Firefox has better error handling abilities than IE, which just means that IE is less tolerant of coding mistakes. In this case your homepage fails w3c validation on 181 counts.

Vger

Firefox has better error handling abilities than IE, which just means that IE is less tolerant of coding mistakes. In this case your homepage fails w3c validation on 181 counts.

Vger

Well masters, many thanks. W3 suggests 3 solutions (W3 suggestions) but I think the most important to prevent w3 erros is:

Outputting a character reference -> edit php.ini with

arg_separator.output = "&"

May I edit php.ini or is it only available by the hosting provider? I can't find this file anywhere.

Thanks

Archived