• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Plz Help

lilmiss2die4

This is my first time setting up a website and I have decided it is starting to look like a 7 th grade art progect.

Everything I have done, I have learned from the forums but it is starting to look terrible and am now lost as to how I can go back and fix it.

Any advice on how to fix where I have went wrong would be much appreciated.

Where do I go from here? www.just2cutegifts.com

Kelly

I really need some help. So I am going to try and be a little more specific.

1) Should I download the STS Contribution and if that is the case will I lose the work I have already done

2) I would like to center my entire site to look like http://www.faerie-dreams.com/

3) Have I messed things up so bad that I need to start over?

I don't want anyone to think that I haven't researched things. I am not afraid of alot of work. I have spent countless hours learning and reading the forums. I just need a little guidance at this point. I just need some guidance at this point, so that my site can look and feel more professional.

I thank you for any criticism or suggestions in advance.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I really need some help. So I am going to try and be a little more specific.

1) Should I download the STS Contribution and if that is the case will I lose the work I have already done

2) I would like to center my entire site to look like http://www.faerie-dreams.com

3) Have I messed things up so bad that I need to start over?

I don't want anyone to think that I haven't researched things. I am not afraid of alot of work. I have spent countless hours learning and reading the forums. I just need a little guidance at this point. I just need some guidance at this point, so that my site can look and feel more professional.

I thank you for any criticism or suggestions in advance.

Ooo! Now there's an open ended question!

I think we've all been there! Should I scrap this and start again because I think it's starting to go off the rails, or struggle on to fix what's wrong? The developer's dilemma and only you can make that choice. Does your site look-and-feel professional at the moment? Simple answer is not really. Does http://www.faerie-dreams.com/ look-and-feel professional? Simple answer is yes.

So here are a few suggestions as to a way forward:

1. Find some sites in the same general products area as your shop and list those aspects that look/feel more professional

2. Give their urls to other folks so they can do the same to get a better general view of common good improvements you could make.

3. Remember that the only purpose of your shop is to SELL your products - try not to get too emotionally attached to your shop design, etc. If it isn't selling product (or enough product) then don't be afraid to change it. I keep telling myself this one!

4. Generally, potential customers have a very short attention span. An initial splash screen requiring someone to press ENTER to get to the shop probably does more harm than good. Better to have a nice shop home page with your best products on it so folks arriving don't disappear without even seeing one of your products.

5. Get a firm idea of how you want to change your shop, taking the best points of competitors, and plan how you're going to get from where it is now to the end point. Don't just dive in and start hacking.

6. You could center the shop, say in 732px with clear borders at side, slick graphic design, color scheme/theme, good font and size (I'm not saying your shop doesn't have some of these features aleady :)

7. Something that your shop could perhaps improve on is the header. May be you could incorporate your existing design into a new 720px wide header made up of a montage of some of your products (you've got some nice photos on your site that can be seen when product images are enlarged)

8. I'm not sure the current swirly blue shop background is right, but perhaps your typical customer loves it? Perhaps you should work on making the product images be what your eye is drawn to, rather than perhaps being detracted by a busy background.

9. The small product images perhaps could be a bit larger so folks can see them easier, even if they don't click the enlarge button.

10. Never forget, your browser downloads the HTML source and CSS file for you to interrogate from other websites. Though you should not copy... you can easily see how things are done and then do something very similar indeed! Centering the shop is a case in point. See the site you mention for example, and then edit your application_top.php and stylesheet.css to do something similar. Easy peasy.

Just some thoughts...

Good luck - and don't forget to have some fun along the way with your shop :)

Thank you so much for responding....

I have changed the size of my thumbnails and have installed the Center Shop Contribution (although not working).

I will go through everything you have said with a fine tooth comb

By the way I am having a blast but I think my kids miss me

Again thank you and any more suggestions would be great

Kelly

http://www.just2cutegifts.com/store/

Absolutely nothing I do will get the Center Shop Contribution to work

I have searched and searched for answers

Can someone please help me

My store is here http://www.just2cutegifts.com/store/

and I want it to be centered like this http://www.faerie-dreams.com/

PLEASE

I've had a quick look at your site. I don't know about the contribution you talk about above, but I think centering should be fairly straight forward.

Looking at your stylesheet.css there are a number of errors you should fix.

Line 23: close */ where a comment isn't open

Line 41: color: #000000; and margin: 0px; } are not part of a definition! (delete them)

In catalog/includes/header.php, about line 55 is the start of the HTML. You could put another table there as a wrapper for the entire body. The open of the table will be in header.php, the close of it will be in footer.php.

Try putting the following: just below the line that contains the open of body (...<body topmargin="0"...)

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="734" align="center"><tr><td><!-- open center table //-->

Then that table will be closed again in catalog/includes/footer.php right at the bottom.

</td></tr></table><!-- close center table //-->

There are many other ways to do it, including using a <div instead of table, and using CSS to hold widths, background and whatnot.

Oh you could give body a background colour like #DDF and then the table with your swirly background (or vice versa) to make the centered part stand out.

That should at least start you off in the right direction. :)

Good luck.

Archived