• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

what is meant by 644,444 and so on?

I´m trying to install the shop into my page. But as I´m an absolut beginner I´m getting problems just with the first steps.

So I´m nearly finished, just missing the last steps, which means "reset the permission on /catalog/includes/configure.php to 644

and "Set the permission on /cataglo/Images directory to 777" and so on.

When I try to enter now in catalog/includes/configure.php comes an error.

What do I have to do. Has it to do something with the firewall? I tried this but it didn`t work neither.

Hope you can help me out.

These numbers are file/folder permissions typically on a unix/linux system. If you are on a windows preform on your local pc (it seems you are as you mentioned firewall in your post) then just set the file property to read-only, or not read-only.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

These numbers are file/folder permissions typically on a unix/linux system. If you are on a windows preform on your local pc (it seems you are as you mentioned firewall in your post) then just set the file property to read-only, or not read-only.

Ken

I did but it doesn´t work neither. What did I do wrong?

I uploaded the shop in ASCII mode as they said, too. "Auto" was checked, too. Might that be the problem?

Could you give more details about your installation:

1. is it on a remote server or on a local pc?

2. is it a server on a linux system or on a windows one?

3. what you mean by "When I try to enter now in catalog/includes/configure.php comes an error", how or what did you 'enter'?

The warning msgs can normally be ignored - they do not affect the normal running of your osc shop, and you can fix them later.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

Could you give more details about your installation:

1. is it on a remote server or on a local pc?

2. is it a server on a linux system or on a windows one?

3. what you mean by "When I try to enter now in catalog/includes/configure.php comes an error", how or what did you 'enter'?

The warning msgs can normally be ignored - they do not affect the normal running of your osc shop, and you can fix them later.

Ken

It´s a local PC (The internet connection is with wlan, but I guess that shouldn´t be the matter), on windows,

And I just enter with the internet explorer, I put the adress into the window. In my case it would be http://biblioteca-tercer-milenio.com/shop/...s/configure.php and it comes error 403. Or you don´t do it that way?

Sorry All this stuff is really new to me. So right now it looks like a big big mirracle.

Thanks for your help

1. No one ever accesses configure.php using a web link like you tried to do;

2. the file property is set using windows explorer, right click of the file concerned and select properties, then tick the read only box if setting it to read-only (am I teaching windows tech here? :) );

3. the url for a local server setup would be: http://127.0.0.1/catalog/

replace catalog with the folder name you use (under htdocs folder), if any.

4. and it does not need an internet connection to work ( to access osc on your local server).

ken

It´s a local PC (The internet connection is with wlan, but I guess that shouldn´t be the matter), on windows,

And I just enter with the internet explorer, I put the adress into the window. In my case it would be http://biblioteca-tercer-milenio.com/shop/...s/configure.php and it comes error 403. Or you don´t do it that way?

Sorry All this stuff is really new to me. So right now it looks like a big big mirracle.

Thanks for your help

1. No one ever accesses configure.php using a web link like you tried to do;

2. the file property is set using windows explorer, right click of the file concerned and select properties, then tick the read only box if setting it to read-only (am I teaching windows tech here? :) );

3. the url for a local server setup would be: http://127.0.0.1/catalog/

replace catalog with the folder name you use (under htdocs folder), if any.

4. and it does not need an internet connection to work ( to access osc on your local server).

ken

Ok, I guess I got that.

about the file properity setting what do you mean by using windows explorer? I set it up in the ftp programm. there you also could put the numbers mentioned before. It´s not right like this??????

Another question: what is meant by "You need to .htaccess your /catalog/adim directory so that it is password protected." You can unse the password manager in your server admin area like cpanel."

How does that work??

.... I entered now into the shop ... using catalog/admin/index.php - gues thats the better way. - Thanks

1. about the file property setting what do you mean by using windows explorer? I set it up in the ftp programm. there you also could put the numbers mentioned before...

Trouble is that won't take effect on a window server/system, which is why you got tricked.

2. Another question: what is meant by "You need to .htaccess your /catalog/adim directory so that it is password protected." You can unse the password manager in your server admin area like cpanel."

Just ignore it. dont waste time on it, as it wont work on a windows system, nor is it necessary on your own pc.

Ken

Archived