• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Completely Lost!

I apparently have a very different definition of 'out-of-the-box' than the rest of the world......I am in tears here trying to figure out how to make this my website! So far all I've managed to do is change the front page text and get rid of my error messages, but all this after nearly pulling my hair out! I thought out of the box meant a nice little html window where I fill in the blanks and the program fills in everything for me, not learning another language and editing text boxes that I don't understand. I know I sound like a real grump here, but I'm just afraid that I'm in tears over nothing and I've missed some simple set up thing - I can't continue looking like I'm selling the movie "There's something about Mary"! I'm going to offend my target audience! PPLLLEEEAASE help me before I have a nervous breakdown here!

jennifer

Not that it helps, but what you are going through is very common. You will find, if you stick with it, that it is quite easy to make changes to the shop. But getting to that point is very difficult. I know you are frustrated but the best way to get the help you need is to ask a specific question. No one can really help you when you say it isn't working. It might be that you are so overwhelmed that you don't know what to ask. But if you think about it, you should be able to come up with one question. Once that is solved, the next one will be a little bit easier.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay, let's see if I can pull myself together enough. Ummmm.....

1. Is the Administration Tool that is mentioned here and there the kind of thing I'm looking for and if so, how do I find it?

i.e. can I enter a product into a nifty little fill in the blank thing and it will replace the stuff that is there by default?

2. If not, how do I start getting rid of those default products and start adding my own?

Thank you so much - I think I'd better wait until I sleep off my distress first, but I'll definitely start there in the morning.

jennifer

The admin section is probably what you're looking for. The best thing to do is follow the directions (I printed them out which is better than trying to read on the screen and switching windows back and forth). After that, go through each section and work out any bugs you have. After you've finished with that, then you can start customizing. Honestly, I have no clue about php even after now, but after going through code time and I again I understand enough to know what does what. This forum is probably the greatest tool available to you. Even though most of my posts went virtually unanswered, a little searching eventually found the answers I needed and I wrote each issue and each fix down that was prominent to my experience. Not everyone will experience the same errors so it's a good idea to keep a notepad window open to write these fixes and errors down in.

You can't let yourself get frustrated over some of the stuff on here cause in the end it's only a minute mistake, and sometimes it's just a code bug you have to go through and fix. My issues probably pertain to the fact I'm using windows IIS6, but this is all just a great learning experience.

Because this is an open source out of the box item, you probably won't get the same experience as you would with a paid out of the box system, more so because you pay for support and development on their systems and they pay workers specifically program for the really green people out there. OsCommerce is offered to us for free, so that comes with some drawbacks, but this comes to us with great advancements as well that we just wouldn't be able to get from a paid product.

All I can say is stick to it, and if you hit a snag, just come to the forum and either do some research or ask a question and I'm sure somebody will give you suggestions on fixes or workarounds for anything you hit. It'll get easier as a little time goes on. After 3 weeks I've finally finished going through most of my bugs and am to the point where I can finally customize my store. So don't expect to get results immediately. It takes work. As with all things, work will pay off with time. Even with the retail e-commerce systems, it takes time to get everything just right. Don't give up ;)

That particular script you will need to use phpmyadmin or login to your sql prompt, what it does is clears the database of the current products so you have a clean slate to work with. It may take a few minutes but you can also use the admin panel for OScommerce to manually delete the mfg's and products. Takes about 10-15 minutes, but might be easier for the newbie.

That particular script you will need to use phpmyadmin or login to your sql prompt, what it does is clears the database of the current products so you have a clean slate to work with. It may take a few minutes but you can also use the admin panel for OScommerce to manually delete the mfg's and products. Takes about 10-15 minutes, but might be easier for the newbie.

Okay, so I'm looking at phpmyadmin...I've opened my directory...do I copy the script into 'run sql query on database......' ?

jennifer

:blush: BTW everyone, thank you for the encouragement! I'll try not to give up so easily. I really wasn't blaming oscommerce for any of it, it is a wonderful tool - I was just so frustrated that I had underestimated how much I didn't know how to do!

jennifer

I apparently have a very different definition of 'out-of-the-box' than the rest of the world......I am in tears here trying to figure out how to make this my website! So far all I've managed to do is change the front page text and get rid of my error messages, but all this after nearly pulling my hair out! I thought out of the box meant a nice little html window where I fill in the blanks and the program fills in everything for me, not learning another language and editing text boxes that I don't understand. I know I sound like a real grump here, but I'm just afraid that I'm in tears over nothing and I've missed some simple set up thing - I can't continue looking like I'm selling the movie "There's something about Mary"! I'm going to offend my target audience! PPLLLEEEAASE help me before I have a nervous breakdown here!

jennifer

I am having some issues getting oscommerce installed,I have worked with computers for a while now and am some what frustrated too.I cant even get the install to work..so for a newbie you have gotten a lot farther then I have..so dont go having no nervous breakdown save that for me to have...lol hang in there hun

Mike

LOL Mike-

It's going better this morning....It's amazing what a good night's sleep does for your nerves :)

jennifer

Okay, so I'm looking at phpmyadmin...I've opened my directory...do I copy the script into 'run sql query on database......' ?

jennifer

Since I didn't have an answer yet, I closed my eyes and clicked 'go' ------it worked, HOORAY! one more step done without a complete system failure (of my website or myself, lol!)

jennifer

The best thing for those that got in over there head is to start here: http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/documentation

Most of the things that are asked are answered in this document. It amazes me how many people want to be store owners but don't know how to do a simple search for what they need or bother reading any thing and ask the same question that was asked and answered 2 pages before or in the right topic. Then get mad when no one answers because they answered it 20 times already. Before any one jumps me about the language barrier I am not including those people. I understand if you do not know the language this will be difficult and hard to find.

The best thing for those that got in over there head is to start here: http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/documentation

Most of the things that are asked are answered in this document. It amazes me how many people want to be store owners but don't know how to do a simple search for what they need or bother reading any thing and ask the same question that was asked and answered 2 pages before or in the right topic. Then get mad when no one answers because they answered it 20 times already. Before any one jumps me about the language barrier I am not including those people. I understand if you do not know the language this will be difficult and hard to find.

Just by way of vindication, I did do both of these things and still didn't get the question answered, which is why I came here. I have had no one explain to me where this Administration Tool is, otherwise I would gladly use it the way the documentation says to.

And, while I did spend considerable time sifting through the hundreds of thousands of previous posts via the search function, I still didn't find the answer to the "where in the world is this illusive Administration Tool thing anyway!!" question. so I came here. I did hesitate for exactly the reason you mention, I didn't want to bug everyone over something that has been asked a million times. BTW, I did find a lot of answers to previous questions by searching old posts, which is the only way I got as far as I did.

I'm sure that if I had installed oscommerce myself instead of letting siteground do it, I would be having a much easier time.

jennifer

"where in the world is this illusive Administration Tool thing anyway!!"

Try http://yoursiteurl/yoursitesinstalldirectory/admin/

replace yoursiteurl with the url of your website and yoursitesinstalldirectory with the directory you installed oscommerce in. So essentially put in the url you use to reach the oscommerce front page then add admin/ to the end of it.

Just by way of vindication, I did do both of these things and still didn't get the question answered, which is why I came here. I have had no one explain to me where this Administration Tool is, otherwise I would gladly use it the way the documentation says to.

And, while I did spend considerable time sifting through the hundreds of thousands of previous posts via the search function, I still didn't find the answer to the "where in the world is this illusive Administration Tool thing anyway!!" question. so I came here. I did hesitate for exactly the reason you mention, I didn't want to bug everyone over something that has been asked a million times. BTW, I did find a lot of answers to previous questions by searching old posts, which is the only way I got as far as I did.

I'm sure that if I had installed oscommerce myself instead of letting siteground do it, I would be having a much easier time.

jennifer

Sorry Jennifer was not aiming it at you. Sorry I dumped in your thread. :'(

Quite forgiven and then some....I was venting myself in starting the thread in the first place. Sorry all! I have made considerable progress today and am quite proud of my newbie self. http://www.nightingalepress.com if you want to see me brag :) I still haven't figured out how to access the oscommerce interface as an administration tool, so I'm doing everything through cPanelX still. I'm sure it's hiding on my web server somewhere, so I'll keep looking.

jennifer

Okay, it's not a pretty picture in person......but I'm doing a happy dance over here! I found it - HOORAY !!! (and thank you all for your help - particularly annonemoose who led me in the right direction) I'm sorry- I am just so excited, I'm bursting -

I will definitely sleep good tonight!

Jennifer

Glad to hear Jennifer has her "Mojo" back. :) In the flurry of posts she did bring up an issue that's been bugging me. The search box!

Even when you confine your search terms to a single specific forum, the results are far from specific. One of the reasons the same questions are asked repeatedly, I suspect, is that the search engine does not seem to narrow down the search very much. This means you still have to go through hundreds if not thousands of posts, an almost impossible task.

Is it just me, or are others having the same problem. Is there any way to improve the search function to narrow down the field a little. I'm a pretty good "googler" so I'm thinking a better search experience might help.

Anybody??

-Hank

Archived