• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Going on Vacation - How should I close shop?

Tsuri Japan

but then other pages can still be acessed right?

what about turning off the paypal function and adding something in the header?

I still want people to see my store and stuff but just don't want them to actually buy stuff. I guess I really answered myself here eh?

Nigelman

There is a contribution.

Down for maintenance.

Or place a .htaccess file that divert all request to one page that states the message You want to give.

or in application_top.php place some code at the top and place an exit code.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

isn't it better to take the site down for maintenance?

If you disable checkout they may thing something is wrong (if you dont have a message on the front page telling otherwise.

If the store is down for maintenance you can for example place a big picture telling them the shop is coming up the date your back but the customers wouldn't be able to browse the store then.

I'd consider just being honest and saying you're on vacation on the front page, but welcome orders anyway. You can also have auto responses from your order email reminding them that shipping or service will be delayed.

If you're "down for maintenance" for a long period of time you may lose credibility. Of course, that's just my opinion.

isn't it better to take the site down for maintenance?

If you disable checkout they may thing something is wrong (if you dont have a message on the front page telling otherwise.

If the store is down for maintenance you can for example place a big picture telling them the shop is coming up the date your back but the customers wouldn't be able to browse the store then.

what I did was disable the shopping cart then added some nice message saying we'll be away for the next two weeks and here are the dates. When you are in your account and add something then try to check out it'll say sorry on vacation. Then in the index I added some more text saying we're closed and all that stuff. I actually want my store to still be viewed while I'm gone because don't you hate it when you go to someones store and says sorry offline.....

That way customers can figure it quite easily, I also emailed all of them too.

take a look here:

http://tsurishopjapan.com/

Not everybody visiting your site will arrive through the home page. It could be that putting a link to the vacation message in the header is the best thing to do in addition to disabling the checkout.

Archived