• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basic Questions

I have a winery and I am building an online store for it and am considering OSCommerce. I've wandered the web site and this forum and ordered a few books but have a few simple questions. I am a expereinced PHP and MySQL programmer, although most of what I do is pretty simple.

1. OsCommerce is just a bunch of php files right? Intsalling it simply unpacks the files and sets up some configuration files?

2. It assumes the sever environment is setup - right? Sever, PHP, MySQL, etc? Is there any reason if would not install on my host (NameSecure) I already have PHP up and MySQL databases running.

3. None of the templates are going to work for me. What is the process like to graft my user interface onto OSCommerce?

4. I you go diddling around in the code and installing add-ons, etc - what happens when a new release comes out?

Thanks

Peter

1. Yes, you also need to have some knowledge of html if you want to change anything. Just upload stuff and then you can use installation process or you do everything manually (edit configure.php with hosting details, create folders....)

2. It just needs php and mysql + you need to have an option for secure connection - ssl

3. For templates you can edit main files or you get template system (contribution section)

4. About new releases, now I think there should be such big problem. All important contributions are updated regulary so there shouldn't be a problem...

Archived