• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can OsCommerce work off a relative path, or is it locked to full domain name?

OwossoBorn

I have an install of OsCommerce at a new hosting company and my DNS is still pointing to the old hosting company. I wanted to be able to configure OsCommerce PRIOR to switching the DNS to point to the new host so the store is ready to go. I found that OsCommerce won't function this way because it is constantly looking for the fully qualified domain name and not a relative path to where it actually lives. If this can't be changed, then my client will have to go a few days with no store at all while I configure OsCommerce. He is not pleased with that.

Can anyone help me figure out how I can work on my OsCommerce on the new host Before I point the DNS to it??

The new host is ipowerweb.com

Thank you,

-=Randy

I am afraid to say this is the wrong way of doing things.

1. without a valid domain you can not access your osc site or any other site using browsers, unless you got a static IP with your hosting account, in which case you may be able to browse it using that IP. So, it is not an osc problem;

2. you could or should install the new osc shop and test it on a local server or on a sub-folder of the existing (old) hosting server, and then upload/transfer to the new server.

3. it can be and should be done without loss of website availability for, say, a few minutes, with good planning.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Hi Randy,

Your host should be able to provide you with a fully qualified address at which to access your site. Usually this is their own domain with a '/~' followed by your account name. Then your site should work although you probably have to test it without SSL as that will use your domain name. This is what I did a few weeks ago and this enabled me to resolve most problems ahead of the domain transfer. I also temporarily disabled the checkout of both shops before changing DNS.

Good luck with the move!

David

I am afraid to say this is the wrong way of doing things.

1. without a valid domain you can not access your osc site or any other site using browsers, unless you got a static IP with your hosting account, in which case you may be able to browse it using that IP. So, it is not an osc problem;

2. you could or should install the new osc shop and test it on a local server or on a sub-folder of the existing (old) hosting server, and then upload/transfer to the new server.

3. it can be and should be done without loss of website availability for, say, a few minutes, with good planning.

Ken

Thanks for the reply Ken.

1) I wasn't saying that it was an OSC problem, I just wondered if there was a way to work around it. I do have a direct URL to it, of http://host###.ipowerweb.com/~MyDomain/OsCommerce but the install is preconfigured thinking it lives on http://www.MyDomain.com/OsCommerce. That's the issue I'm having. I didn't install it, it is installed by the host.

2) I like this idea of installing it locally for configuration and then uploading when finished, however, the install is one of those 'one click installs' provided by the host. I'd have to check that if after I upload, they don't have some sort of protected sections outside my site's folder structure that would simply revert back to how they have it installed. I do not have a local server I could install it on, unless I could install it in WindowsXP Pro?

Isn't there a place in the configuration files where I tell OSC what domain it is on? I thought I could change it to the "host###.ipowerweb.com" domain for now (somehow), then change it back to "www.MyDomain.com" when I'm ready to point the DNS??

Thanks

Hi Randy,

Your host should be able to provide you with a fully qualified address at which to access your site. Usually this is their own domain with a '/~' followed by your account name. Then your site should work although you probably have to test it without SSL as that will use your domain name. This is what I did a few weeks ago and this enabled me to resolve most problems ahead of the domain transfer. I also temporarily disabled the checkout of both shops before changing DNS.

Good luck with the move!

David

That's great to hear David! The URL is http://host###.ipowerweb.com/~MyDomain/OsCommerce. Where did you change your settings? If I could simply get OSC to work off that URL, I could start customizing the look/feel, migrate existing customers and enter product info. I hadn't planned on using SSL. Should I? :huh:

Thanks!

You need to change the urls in the includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files.

Jack

Sweeet! Thank you Jack for the tip.

I changed the URLs in both of those files and I could see the store but not the admin interface. I have since found the fix and am posting it all here for a sense of completion in case anyone else hits the same wall I was at.

After changing the URLs, the admin page threw the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot re-assign $this in /home/MyDomain/public_html/OsCommerce/admin/includes/classes/upload.php on line 31

I did a quick search through the forum and found a post saying to change line 31 from "$this = null;" to "unset($this);" and the admin interface sprung to life.

Thanks everyone for the excellent help and suggestions!

Archived