• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Googlebot/Spider session id killer

Ian

does

"if (basename($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) == 'allprods.php' ) $kill_sid = true;

if ( ( !tep_session_is_registered('customer_id') ) && ( $cart->count_contents()==0 ) && (!tep_session_is_registered('kill_sid') ) ) $kill_sid = true;

if (basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_LOGIN ) $kill_sid = false;"

replace

if ( ( !tep_session_is_registered('customer_id') ) && ( $cart->count_contents()==0 ) && (!tep_session_is_registered($kill_sid) ) ) $kill_sid = true;

?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DO i have to do changes in html_output.php Because everytime i do changes in this file i get error as below

Parse error: parse error, expecting `')'' in /home/quickly/public_html/shop/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 269

But when i checked the code i do not see any problem.

I can't type a trick like i can type.

• 2 weeks later...

I use phpbb, and recently I made this change to my forum:

#-----[ OPEN  ]------------------------------------------ 

includes/sessions.php 

#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 

global $SID; 

if ( !empty($SID) && !eregi('sid=', $url) ) 

#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 

global $SID, $HTTP_SERVER_VARS; 

if ( !empty($SID) && !eregi('sid=', $url) && !strstr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'Googlebot') && !strstr($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] ,'[email protected];'))

Since I'm new to oscommerce, and haven't dabbed into the code yet, but this has enabled my entire forum to get crawled when it couldn't before.

Maybe this will apply here.

hi..

I?d like to make all these Session ID changes suggested by Ian but I?m working with cvs 2.1 instead of 2.2. . Is there a equivalent file for html_output.php?, because there isn?t such a file in 2.1 . Unfortunately 2.1 has to stay now like it is, because the shop is now finished and functioning.

I really appreciate any help on this

Thanks

Miguel

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking around this thread and the contributin section and I can't find a download. Is it possible that the different changes made in this thread could be combined in one download?

fo far an a happy new year

Dominik

Maintainer German Banktransfer 0.92

The answer to the great question of life, the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)

ok, but where does $HTTP_SERVER_VARS get assigned a value ?

:shock:

OK, $HTTP_SERVER_VARS is a global PHP variable and is set by PHP ! Is it that silly questions never get answered on this BB ? Ah well, I'm just learning PHP - now ask me any traditionally Windows based platform development question :wink:

ps this thread is about ALLPRODs contribution and Ian' changes (in work) to kill a session id so that googglebot doesn't treat each page as different and unecessarily increase data traffic (and therefore hosting costs).

I believe the answer is to point the search engine at allprods.php and suppress every other page (except perhaps further advert pages) with robots.txt. I shall try this out in the New year and report back.

ok, but where does $HTTP_SERVER_VARS get assigned a value ?

:shock:

OK, $HTTP_SERVER_VARS is a global PHP variable and is set by PHP ! Is it that silly questions never get answered on this BB ? Ah well, I'm just learning PHP - now ask me any traditionally Windows based platform development question :wink:

ps this thread is about ALLPRODs contribution and Ian' changes (in work) to kill a session id so that googglebot doesn't treat each page as different and unecessarily increase data traffic (and therefore hosting costs).

I believe the answer is to point the search engine at allprods.php and suppress every other page (except perhaps further advert pages) with robots.txt. I shall try this out in the New year and report back.

The question was 1. how to ensure all products are SEO indexed and 2. how to suppress irrelevant traffic from session ids.

so if I follow here, the only weakness against Ians sid killer here is the "buy now" buttons since they are links???

well I have changed the "buy now" buttons from links to forms (and they work quite well), so I should be a stone wall when googlebot or any other bot comes to visit me??

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

my actual site is not online yet... but I have made the changes to a test store.

http://www.allthingsnewage.com - hit it hard burt

also, I have posted how to make the modifications to change "buy now" buttons to forms (3 very easy and simple steps) in the Another Google thread - sorry

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

The one session id upon the first hit is actually because of breadcrumb.

I add in application_top.php

$kill_sid=true;

after

$breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

and it works fine and make the session id go away.

This may address brandon's issue. it does generate more sid from 2nd hit.

Thanks to sean's post, I tried the spider simulator below,

http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/s.../sim_spider.cgi

you can use it to check if there is still sid left and how you page is recognised by spider.

burt,

if you have time, could you please mimic google again for my site?

David

@m5n6

I try the spider.cgi after adding Ians sessionkiller. The sessionkiller works great but i see that the spider finds no keywords. The Metatags are correct.

If i try another html page. The spider.cgi also shows no keaywords. Is this a bug in the script or in my page?

Ian-

Have you made this as a contribution? I can't find it in the downloads...

If not, what is the code needed? I've gone through a couple threads, but there are different parts and I want to make sure that I have it all.

Aodhan

Hi, I'm a new user of osCommerce and new to your forum! (sorry, if my english isn't the best)

I have read this thread and had a new idea of allowing robots without using conflicting with sid's, users or other contributions. I don't have tested it yet, but let's hear what you think about.

First, setup a new directory with a second copy of osC and apply the allprods-contribution. This site with all products can be linked from the main page of your shop (mostly visible only or you register this site explicitly on the search engines.

Any other pages of osC must be in robots.txt disallowed.

In the allprods must be used a sid-killer like that from Ian. In the first copy of osC you don't change anything.

The first copy of osC is now used from your users and only the second (only the allprods) from the robots.

Because the users find your product-info pages in search engines from the second osC you must use there absolute links to the first osC. But Search engines don't follow that links because you have placed all the first osC in robots.txt

I hope, I have explained it good. What do you thing about this solution?

Greetings,

Dimitrios

sorry i have another question

The session is killed in the shop. If i go to the admin "Who is online"

I see on every user a session. Is this correct?

00:08:39 0 Guest 216.239.46.164 13:25:23 13:25:23 /shop/catalog/index.php/cPath/33/sort/2a/page/1/language/en/osCs

00:08:38 0 Guest 216.239.46.118 13:25:24 13:25:24 /shop/catalog/webmaster.php/osCsid/727d633fb2b9b264c14b5be475592

00:08:38 0 Guest 216.239.46.87 13:25:24 13:25:24 /shop/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/149/osCsid/04f7d7874c

I put the Ians script in the catalog html_output and application_top

Is this correct?

I must pain you with my questions once more............

Could it be, that the add on for smal,medium,big images produce the sessions? See the file of my error Script

The image is on the server and works fine, but the script produce this error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Site: xxx.com (www.xxx.com)

Error Code: 404 Missing URL (File does not exist: /www/virtual/fetish/www.xxx.com/shop/catalog/images/Harness_med.jpg/osCsid/fef23046cf6b292d237a21d0ee68d657)

Occurred: Thu Jan 9 14:44:34 EST 2003

Requested URL: /shop/catalog/images/Harness_med.jpg/osCsid/fef23046cf6b292d237a21d0ee68d657

User Address: 216.239.46.118

User Agent: Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)

Referer:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is indeed disappointing that I am still not able to block session id generation even after applying Ian's mod! Could someone please help me out with my problem?

My site under construction is http://shop.amplescope.com

(It is a live site, so please don't put your cc number etc.)

I checked the session id through http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/s.../sim_spider.cgi

Sunny

PS: BTW, I have also installed the latest addon titled: Changing the "buy now" buttons from links to forms .. is that likely to cause any confilct?

I just got it finally in place ... blame it on the splintered posts in this thread : I think I should put in the whole code once again in one go (as contributed by everyone else on this thread ... am just putting the jigs in one place to make the picture whole)

Step 1:

Add the following code just before the ?> tag at the end of /catalog/includes/application_top.php file:

//================================================================ 

if ( ($HTTP_GET_VARS['currency']) ) { 

tep_session_register('kill_sid'); 

$kill_sid=false; 

} 

if ( ($HTTP_GET_VARS['language']) ) { 

$kill_sid = false; 

} 

if (basename($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) == 'allprods.php' ) $kill_sid = true; 

if ( ( !tep_session_is_registered('customer_id') ) && ( $cart->count_contents()==0 ) && (!tep_session_is_registered('kill_sid') ) ) $kill_sid = true; 

if (basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_LOGIN ) $kill_sid = false; 

Step 2:

Find

Add after the above:

$kill_sid=true;

Step 3:

Now find the function tep_href_link (should be the first one) in /includes/functions/html_output.php

After the first line

function tep_href_link($page = '', $parameters = '', $connection = 'NONSSL', $add_session_id = true, $search_engine_safe = true) {

add the line

global $kill_sid;

Step 4:

With this html_output.php file only:

find the lines

if ( (isset($sid) ) { 

$link .= $separator . $sid; 

}

change to:

if ( (isset($sid) ) && ( !$kill_sid ) ) { 

$link .= $separator . $sid; 

}

Warnings. The code above has been tested on a clean oscommerce installation. The only problem reported has been with 'USE_DEFAULT_LANGUAGE_CURRENCY' set in admin.

You may also want to include another mod (download here: http://www.oscommerce.com/contributions/bu...tton_v1.01.zip) that changes buy-now buttons to initiation form actions with *post* action as against the default *get* action to *not generate* session id's.

Welll, the story ends here, and the Kings and Queens of osC world may now rest in peace for ever, despite a monthly visit from the dreaded Google Robot!

Sunny

correction:

after line

please change

$kill_sid=true;

to

if ( ( !tep_session_is_registered('customer_id') ) && ( $cart->count_contents()==0 ) && (!tep_session_is_registered('kill_sid') ) ) {$kill_sid = true;}

This will survive the 1st round spider hit.

but the login, my account, checkout link on the default page generate sid

on the 2nd round.

I have fixed them to forms, and use the simulator to test fine. and I will post the change later.

regards

david

oops, that should have read

What might be better is to move all of my code

if ( ($HTTP_GET_VARS['currency']) ) {

$kill_sid=false;

}

if ( ($HTTP_GET_VARS['language']) ) {

$kill_sid = false;

}

if (basename($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) == 'allprods.php' ) $kill_sid = true;

if (basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_LOGIN ) $kill_sid = false;

to after

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.