osCommerce

The e-commerce.

RSS Feed contribution support thread

Ralph2

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, i installed it... but :D .. could someone explain to me what this thing is good for ? (yes, im a n00b, i know)

Not a bad question, Google it, or here is a page that explains it: http://rss.softwaregarden.com/aboutrss.html It's much less complex than it sounds.

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Hi,

I am having the same problem as DCA,

I am not very good with SQL so as i am trying to install this contribution i am also getting the following error:

#1062 - Duplicate entry '80' for key 1

so am stuck on Step 1 of the installation.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

I think i have asnwered my own post.

I was reading the error code manual for SQL 5 and it occured to me that if i changed the configuration id

to the last id in the configuration table it would work

ie. the last id was 143 so i set it to 144

so far so good

just need to test it

Thanks anyway

I have a quick question. I would like to be able to offer my visitors a link to separate RSS feeds with built in queries by categories in the RSS feed URL. My feed has over 60000 products so I would like to offer them a link for like this for instance:

www.mysite.com/rss.php?category=laptops

My question is what is the proper format to query a category in the url of RSS.php?

Please post a sample URL with the proper tags. Thanks.

Great contrib!

I have a quick question. I would like to be able to offer my visitors a link to separate RSS feeds with built in queries by categories in the RSS feed URL. My feed has over 60000 products so I would like to offer them a link for like this for instance:

www.mysite.com/rss.php?category=laptops

My question is what is the proper format to query a category in the url of RSS.php?

Please post a sample URL with the proper tags. Thanks.

Great contrib!

I found out the problem I was having. It was all my fault for not putting the code into index.php and product_info.php. again great contrib thanks.

I have a minor issue I would love to resolve. I have read about it and tested two remedies from this thread that did not work. What I am referring to is the OSCID showing up in the add to cart url link.

I tried this method to fix it first and it did not work:

######################

A quick bug Fix which I do not have time to package. With each product link, the oscId was added to the RSS feed..not very safe nor pretty:

To fix this change:

// RSS Links for Ultimate SEO (Gareth Houston 10 May 2005)

$link = tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $id, 'NONSSL', false);

with

// Correct RSS Links for Ultimate SEO without OscId (Phocea 20/06/2007)

$seo = ( defined('SEO_URLS') ? SEO_URLS : false );

$seo_rewrite_type = ( defined('SEO_URLS_TYPE') ? SEO_URLS_TYPE : false );

$link = tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $id, 'NONSSL', false, true);

if ($seo_rewrite_type == 'Rewrite') {

// We remove the oscid distributed by the user session used in this script

$link = substr($link, 0, strlen($link)-strlen(strstr($link,'?')));

} else {

$link = substr($link, 0, strlen($link)-strlen(strstr($link,'&osCsid')));

}

#######################

Then I used this method from this thread which did not error but this also did not remove the OSCID from the feed.

TIP #2 As mentioned somewhere earlier in forum somewhere oscommerce is adding the osCsid to the product URLs, bad news! To remove:

CODE

ADD

UNDER

$link = tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $id, 'NONSSL', false);

########################

Any ideas? I know I have to remove the OSCID. Please help if you have any solutions. Thanks.

I have a minor issue I would love to resolve. I have read about it and tested two remedies from this thread that did not work. What I am referring to is the OSCID showing up in the add to cart url link.

I tried this method to fix it first and it did not work:

######################

A quick bug Fix which I do not have time to package. With each product link, the oscId was added to the RSS feed..not very safe nor pretty:

To fix this change:

// RSS Links for Ultimate SEO (Gareth Houston 10 May 2005)

with

// Correct RSS Links for Ultimate SEO without OscId (Phocea 20/06/2007)

$seo = ( defined('SEO_URLS') ? SEO_URLS : false );

$seo_rewrite_type = ( defined('SEO_URLS_TYPE') ? SEO_URLS_TYPE : false );

$link = tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $id, 'NONSSL', false, true);

if ($seo_rewrite_type == 'Rewrite') {

// We remove the oscid distributed by the user session used in this script

$link = substr($link, 0, strlen($link)-strlen(strstr($link,'?')));

} else {

}

#######################

Then I used this method from this thread which did not error but this also did not remove the OSCID from the feed.

TIP #2 As mentioned somewhere earlier in forum somewhere oscommerce is adding the osCsid to the product URLs, bad news! To remove:

CODE

ADD

UNDER

########################

Any ideas? I know I have to remove the OSCID. Please help if you have any solutions. Thanks.

Once you fix the oscid thing it will not fix it on any old products you had previously since your reader already pulled that data so you may have fixed it and not realized you did. You'll have to create some new products to see if you fixed it or not.

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

Once you fix the oscid thing it will not fix it on any old products you had previously since your reader already pulled that data so you may have fixed it and not realized you did. You'll have to create some new products to see if you fixed it or not.

Thanks for the fast reply. So to clarify, for new readers or visitors who use my RSS feed they will not see the OSCID anymore nor will the bots and spiders?

*BTW awesome script.

Thanks for the fast reply. So to clarify, for new readers or visitors who use my RSS feed they will not see the OSCID anymore nor will the bots and spiders?

*BTW awesome script.

Thanks but I am not the author... however I'm sure they appreciate your kind words.

If you have it fixed yes. But you'll still have to test that to make sure you fixed the problem after you add new products as I said before.

Edited by homewetbar

• 2 weeks later...

In the admin section of my OScommerce installation under Configuration:>Maximum Values:>RSS Articles how many articles/products should I choose to display in my feed? What happens if I have thousands of articles/products? In my case I do so it has been timing out. I have over 70K products what is a good number to set my feed at? Or is there a way to parse it by category or query to that it does not time out? Any ideas?

Wonderful contrib, it really works! :thumbsup: But I have 2 issues: First, how can I enable the prices to show in the rss feed?. The second one is how to get per-category feeds. Can someone give me a hint about this?

In the admin section of my OScommerce installation under Configuration:>Maximum Values:>RSS Articles how many articles/products should I choose to display in my feed? What happens if I have thousands of articles/products? In my case I do so it has been timing out. I have over 70K products what is a good number to set my feed at? Or is there a way to parse it by category or query to that it does not time out? Any ideas?

Leave it at the default. Or 100 max I would say. It is a new product feed not an entire site feed...

Wonderful contrib, it really works! :thumbsup: But I have 2 issues: First, how can I enable the prices to show in the rss feed?. The second one is how to get per-category feeds. Can someone give me a hint about this?

Again, I must insist with my question, specially with the "price" issue. Is there a way to show the price, with the corresponding default currency, in the feed? I wonder why nobody has an answer and, specially, why in all the examples I see of the feed I can never see the prices, although we are all dealing here with shops :blink:

And this absence is even stranger since I can see in the code following lines,

if($ecommerce!='') {
   echo '  <media:thumbnail url="' . $image_url . '">' . $image_url . '</media:thumbnail>' . "\n";
   echo '  <ecommerce:SKU>' . $id . '</ecommerce:SKU>' . "\n";
   echo '  <ecommerce:listPrice currency="' . DEFAULT_CURRENCY . '">' . $price . '</ecommerce:listPrice>' . "\n";
   if ($offer) {
     echo '  <ecommerce:offerPrice currency="' . DEFAULT_CURRENCY . '">' . $offer . '</ecommerce:offerPrice>' . "\n";
   }
   echo '  <ecommerce:manufacturer>' . $manufacturer . '</ecommerce:manufacturer>' . "\n";
 }
 echo '</item>' . "\n";
}

crearly referred to prices... Furthermore, what does really means the title of the contribution: "RSS feed with eCommerce, v1.22.2"? OsCommerce is an eCommerce system, and all the contributions and addons are somehow "with eCommerce"... Or is this special "eCommerce" some feature that I must first activate, in order to make the script work? I have read all possible information abot the installation of the contribution and still can find no answer... Can somebody help? That's really confusing :huh:

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question ..... it may just be a configuration error, but I am not sure. I usually don't use RSS, but I decided to give it a go in the attempt to bring more people to my site. I installed the contribution with no problems .... viewed the RSS feed on my end with no errors. I then proceeded to submit my feed to RSS search engines, and received the following error message from several of them:

ERROR: RSS feed returns Content-type=text/html

This requires web server adjustment (MIME types).

If this is just a configuration error, how do I resolve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Heather and Michael Creations

http://hmcreations.x10hosting.com/shop

Again, I must insist with my question, specially with the "price" issue. Is there a way to show the price, with the corresponding default currency, in the feed? I wonder why nobody has an answer and, specially, why in all the examples I see of the feed I can never see the prices, although we are all dealing here with shops :blink:

And this absence is even stranger since I can see in the code following lines,

if($ecommerce!='') {
   echo '  <media:thumbnail url="' . $image_url . '">' . $image_url . '</media:thumbnail>' . "\n";
   echo '  <ecommerce:SKU>' . $id . '</ecommerce:SKU>' . "\n";
   echo '  <ecommerce:listPrice currency="' . DEFAULT_CURRENCY . '">' . $price . '</ecommerce:listPrice>' . "\n";
   if ($offer) {
     echo '  <ecommerce:offerPrice currency="' . DEFAULT_CURRENCY . '">' . $offer . '</ecommerce:offerPrice>' . "\n";
   }
   echo '  <ecommerce:manufacturer>' . $manufacturer . '</ecommerce:manufacturer>' . "\n";
 }
 echo '</item>' . "\n";
}

crearly referred to prices... Furthermore, what does really means the title of the contribution: "RSS feed with eCommerce, v1.22.2"? OsCommerce is an eCommerce system, and all the contributions and addons are somehow "with eCommerce"... Or is this special "eCommerce" some feature that I must first activate, in order to make the script work? I have read all possible information abot the installation of the contribution and still can find no answer... Can somebody help? That's really confusing :huh:

Thanks!

No it does not display price by default. It's not a big deal as you need to think of RSS as news articles basically, if they want to know more they will click through to your site. How many articles in your paper do you read that say "Buy now $xxx.xx" at the end of the article?

No it does not display price by default. It's not a big deal as you need to think of RSS as news articles basically, if they want to know more they will click through to your site. How many articles in your paper do you read that say "Buy now $xxx.xx" at the end of the article?

Well, homewetbar, I would understand your argument if we'd be talking about "articles" in a blog, or in a news site, but here we are dealing with products in a shop (I'm in an osCommerce forum, am I not?? :blink: ), and a very important sell argument for products is the price. A good price can decide if the customer clicks on a link or not... We are running a Language Courses shop, and would like to use the feed to show the products (courses) both in the main site of the organization and in each individual school's page. For us is very important to show the prices, precisely because in the shop we are offering reduced prices compared to the regular ones.

Furthermore, you say "it does not display price by default". That implies that there must be a way to change that "default". And, as everybody can see, there are some code lines that seem to offer the possibility to include the price in the feed,

and even with the corresponding currency...

The only thing I'd like to know is: How can I accomplish this? I have tried some changes, but nothing works, that's why I ask again. I'm convinced there must be a way, but I can not find it alone...

I'd be thankful for any hint you can give me...

Edited by juanpalomo

I have no idea how to do that as I did not make the contrib. I think we can both agree the end goal is to sell more products and keep your customers engaged with your brand. All I'm arguing is RSS is a social marketing tool, not and in your face ad, hence the original authors did not include this feature.

Ok first of all thanks for this great rss contribution.

I have installed RSS Feed v1.22.1-ecommerce from the the contibution list

Everything works very very smoothly and well with ie7 and firefox how ever once firefox browser is closed then re opened and the bookmark / feeds list is updated the links within the list create error as below.

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in /home/shisha/public_html/shop/includes/application_top.php on line 317

Once this error has occured the browser shall not go to any url within the site until private data including cookies is deleted.

is this something to do with $navigation->remove_current_page(); in the rss.php file or in the application_top.php file

I have spent about 2 days trying to resolve this problem so if anyone can recommed a fix it would be real sweet.

Thanks

DR

I did the installation step by step, but I get a strange error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class language in oscommerce-2.2rc2a/catalog/includes/classes/language.php on line 16

Does anyone have a clue???

I too would like to know how to do the per-category feeds. I was thinking of creating a seperate rss.php file for each category and changing the MySQL query, i.e rsscat1.php, rsscat2.php...and so on...any clues to what i need to change on the database query side? - extract below to only query 1 category...

// Create SQL statement

$category = preg_replace('/[^0-9_]/', '', $_GET['cPath']);

$ecommerce = $_GET['ecommerce'];

if ($category != '') {

// Check to see if we are in a subcategory

if (strrpos($category, '_') > 0) {

$category = substr($category, strrpos($category, '_') + 1, strlen($category));

}

$catTable = ", products_to_categories pc ";

$catWhere = 'p.products_id = pc.products_id AND pc.categories_id = \'' . $category . '\' AND ';

}

$sql = "SELECT p.products_id, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, p.products_model,

p.products_image, p.products_date_added, pd.products_name, pd.products_description,

m.manufacturers_name, cd.categories_name

FROM products p

$catTable

LEFT JOIN products_description pd

ON pd.products_id = p.products_id

AND pd.language_id = '$lang_id'

LEFT JOIN manufacturers m

ON m.manufacturers_id = p.manufacturers_id

LEFT JOIN products_to_categories p2c

ON p2c.products_id=p.products_id

LEFT JOIN categories_description cd

ON p2c.categories_id = cd.categories_id

AND cd.language_id = '$lang_id'

WHERE $catWhere

p.products_status=1 AND

p.products_to_rss=1

GROUP BY p.products_id

ORDER BY p.products_id DESC

LIMIT " . MAX_RSS_ARTICLES;

// Execute SQL query and get result

$sql_result = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or die("Couldn\'t execute query:<br />$sql");

• 3 weeks later...

I am running v 1.22 and it works great but I wanted to utilize the features in V2.0 such as the manufacturers feed and the category feed options. The only problem is when I run the V2.0 rss.php file what pops up is a dialog box for windows asking me what I want to do with this file? V1.22 works perfectly I request my rss.php file and it pops up with products in tables and everything but when I do the same thing with the V2.0 rss.php I get a dialog box that pops up asking me what my local system should do with the file. Any ideas?