• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

how do you add static pages?

tinman76

any help is appreciated. I searched for "add pages" before posting and couldn't find much.
Try this:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2841 (Page Editor)

or this:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2021 (Extra Pages Unlimited)

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

If you want (or mean you want) Google searchable (and other search engine) true "static" pages, then use a HTML editor or converter to make a true STATIC HTML page in a robot searchable directory and then link to it as a "products page" during the product install process - AND have a robots.txt file which points the crawler (googlebot or whatever) down into the that directory of static pages - otherwise PHP and other dynamic pages created by a PHP scripting process are never indexed by a search engine. It's o.k. and a good idea to link in that page back to your store - in case the user comes across the page by a true web search from a search engine. There are other ways around this - but you just asked about a static page - and the terms "static page" usually means a pure HTML page. OR use the contributions above and make them by converting them as above also

have a robots.txt file which points the crawler (googlebot or whatever) down into the that directory of static pages -
This is not correct. A robots file asks the search engines not to look at a directory or file, not the other way around.

otherwise PHP and other dynamic pages created by a PHP scripting process are never indexed by a search engine.
Totally incorrect. If it were true, no oscommerce shop, or any php shop for that matter, would never be indexed, which,of course, they are.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jeez Jack. He wasn't that far off, and he was probably trying to take it easy on the guy. Don't forget tinman doesn't even know how to create a static page. Thanks for posting bob.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The information given was incorrect. I pointed that out. Since the op probably didn't know the difference, that advice could cause him a tremendous amount of frustration. Isn't the point of the forums to provide assistance?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

This is not correct. A robots file asks the search engines not to look at a directory or file, not the other way around.

Totally incorrect. If it were true, no oscommerce shop, or any php shop for that matter, would never be indexed, which,of course, they are.

Jack

I was trying to help the original poster "create" some additional pages for his store. Maybe I misunderstood his request. I do agree with Jack (once again) regarding the indexing of PHP files and such. My store is ranked very high and I use meta tags on every page. OK, I'll stop there...don't want to get off topic. Hope this has helped the original poster. :blush:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

• 1 year later...

hi,

i am trying to do the same thing.

how do u do this:

"Run the following file on your MySQL database:

pages.sql"

details instructions would be very helpful.

thanks.

hi,

i am trying to do the same thing.

how do u do this:

"Run the following file on your MySQL database:

pages.sql"

details instructions would be very helpful.

thanks.

so i went to myPHP admin, click on the database pertaining to my store, and uploaded the file, but i got an error when i tried to do the rest of the installation? did i do something wrong?

Archived