• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Well ... I think it's time to give up on this software

possumnz

Well ... I think it's time to give up on this software.

I have spent the last week non stop trying to setup my site using oscommerce software, it maybe open licence gear, but it is not user freindly at all !!

A few people have suggested to use the PHPadmin to upload my data, that maybe fine if you are a techo, but for the average PC operator ..umm.

I think the best commerce software is the ones that you setup on your hard drive then upload, alot faster and easier.

Thank you ... but NO thanks

Which version are you trying to load?

v2.2 takes about 15-20 minutes to FTP onto a site, 10-15 to setup the directories, mod settings, passwords and configuration files, 5-10 minutes to create the MySQL database and load the data, then configure the Admin side, usually expect to spend an hour or more there depending on the complexity of your shop.

v2.1 I have not tried to load and with the enhancements of v2.2 I would recommend looking to v2.2 :D

I have spent the last week non stop trying to setup my site using oscommerce software, it maybe open licence gear, but it is not user freindly at all !!

I think a certain majority of this community will slightly disagree ...

I think the best commerce software is the ones that you setup on your hard drive then upload, alot faster and easier.

Tell us if you found something like that. Give us the possibility to learn and make osCommerce better.

It's a free world. At least you didn't loose money on licensing ;-)

Oh, and if you really want you can contact me and I will be more then happy to set it up for you. I will even do it for free.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

...it maybe open licence gear, but it is not user freindly at all

Really? I have come to find quite the opposite (and I, by no means, have any real understanding of php)

I think the key to it is playing with it to figure it out.

Troy

You shouldn't give up on the software, its an excellent Shop solution and at a very reasonable price ;)

It can be time-consuming and daunting to set up - it's best to have a little knowledge of PHP scripting if possible.

As others have said, it really shouldn't take more than an hour to set up v2.2 from start to finish. The hard work comes when you want to refine the site to your own needs...

There are always people here to ask help of - some will do it for free, others may ask you to pay a donation to the Core Team and others may ask for commercial rates. But still, it is easy to get help if needed...

Not true!

I think OScommerce is one of the best script out there plus very easy to install.

I can get it running in about 25 mins.

I've spent weeks try to find the best shopping cart script. Some are bad and some are very hard to install. (I've spent 3 days try to install one shopping cart script without success.)

So belive me, change your mind. Give OScommerce another chance. You won't regret it.

...that maybe fine if you are a techo, but for the average PC operator...

I don't mean to be presumptious here.. but installing & setting up a piece of commerce software is a bit too unrealistic for the "average PC operator". I consider my father an average PC operator.. I still get about 4 calls a week dealing with various topics. i.e. how to install a service pack, how to setup an away message in his e-mail program, where is the best place to find MP3's & what do I do with them once I downloaded them?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree that failing to install a scripted shopping cart (especially one that is opensource -- by it's nature hardly ever has decent documentation!) is reason to complain that it is not user friendly. I am assuming that by meaning you would like to "setup on your hard drive then upload" means that you have installed & configured php with IIS or Apache? Honestly.. I would quit what I was doing and fly down to Orlando and give my dad a hug and say "welcome to the party" if he called me up and told me that he just downloaded & installed Apache & MySQL and is running php as an sapi module... and needs help securing his installation of osCommerce.

But that's just me!

Have you taken a gander at oscdox.com? I'm assuming that you read "stable" on the 2.1 version and tried that version. I would take others advice and hit the 2.2 road :D

Sorry if this sounds harsh.. But now I understand that you aren't having problems installing the script.

I've just read your other post. I just don't agree with the fact because osCommerce was preinstalled on your hosting and ".. works fine, ready to go" that you should come in here, after getting the answer you need, and portray a negative opinion towards a great shopping cart all because you don't want to input each and every product by hand online.

You were given the same answer that anyone who has had the same delima as you was given. I challenge you to name one ecommerce solution that will allow the user to upload an unknown formatted "database excel" into the site. It just doesn't work that way. Data migration from one software to another can be a daunting task. The only hope that you have is that someone else has done the migration for that same software package you are wanting to migrate. You can't honestly expect osCommerce to do this automatically for every piece of software/unknown data format out there do you?? In that case...

I think the best commerce software is the ones that you setup in your head and it reads your mind, alot faster and easier.

Just my 2 cents.

OScom is awesome. I barely had any php script knowledge except for installing phpbb2 on my own. It is very userfriendly, you just have to read what the settings say they do. If you are really having a problem post it here and people will gladly help you out. This I noticed is not just here but the php scripting community in general.

And if you really are having complicated stuff that needs to be done, ask someone if they are willing to take payment:) Most likely you will get a lot of replies take the one who sounds the most knowledgable and sees your vision. Plus the competition will get you a better price.

That's basically what i did, and am very happy with it.

Just get a reality check OSC is free people do the work for free, if you took the time to check out any other decent shop cart it would cost you atleast $150 and about $50/hr for mods and installs.

So I just wanted to thank all of you in the community for atleast helping me out because if I couldn't get things from the opensourced community I would just be dreaming about my music website then actually making it happen:)

Elfmuse

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV

For what its worth. Two months ago I paid $145 dollars for X-cart the ulitmate(crap) online shopping solutions. I still had to download the files and upload on to my server. Everything went as it should but within a week small problems started to appear. So off i ran to the online support system. wow a ticket system!!! this is cool and the real biz!! Think again, it took one week for the reply which said it must be your server contact your isp. as time went on (2 more weeks) the site just refused to load with mysql errors everywhere.

I went in search of help and bumped into a guy on icq who gave me this web site to check out. I was a bit nervous as one month ago i though mysql was a strange illness and php was what doctors had after their name.

But hell, the support i was getting was so poor i had nothing to lose. At this stage the 30 day back garauntee was over as it took this long for 4 or 5 questions to be answered by the support email. I read the forums and saw a buch of guys all helping each other out. So of i went into the unknow and downloaded osc. Uploaded on to my web space and installed the whole package in 45mins. I was amazed and feeling great.

4 weeks later I have installed popup image add ons, change the look and the graphics of my site, Been hit with 70,000 hits from the google spider bots(pissed out their minds it appears) Set up my post and package rates from Ireland to the rest of the world. Installed invoice and cod addons. Removed bits i did not want like dob, gender and reorder the ones i wanted to keep. All this while starting into a php file that appears to be written by someone with two left hands and too much to drink.

Like you i am on meter internet so working online was costing me a arm and a leg. So i download easyphp and set up a server and mysql on my hard drive. I now work offline and just upload the images, drop the database with myphpadmin(never imaged i would be using this today) and upload my new database. this takes me about 15mins.

Before X-cart i had paid 200 dollars for Shop Factory which will allow you design offline and then upload but the draw back was if i changed a price it uploaded the whole shop, images included again and this cost big time on the phone.

Why and how???? The guys in here!!! thats how!! they answer your questions and never never made me feel like the php mysql gobshit i am.

So when it comes to value for money I have to say that a free program is not good value on the whole but, a free program with a community like the one i have found here, is PRICELESS!!

Thanks guys and to the poster. Try one more time. Just sometimes the saying is true...there is no gain without some pain. Strech the grey cells !!!

To the person fed up: I have been building a site for almost a year now and the one thing that did go pretty smooth was the Ecommerce section.

Using the OS program was such a pleasant experience, in all the years playing around on the internet, I have never met such a great group of people. Greed is not part of their vocabulary and are there whenever you ask for help, sometimes, even when you don't ask. If you ask "THEY WILL COME" but you have to ask, even these guys are not clairvoyant. Stick with it, you will hate yourself if you don't.

Best of luck,

StormyWeathers

Thank you all for your comments.....

We have a hosting comapny here in New Zealand, which has setup oscommerce software on their site.

To give you a idea on what I am trying to setup, it would be a similar site to http://www.spotit.com.au , now I need to setup a header with my companies logo and also a java menu, store directories search etc....

How do I add this to the top ?? can we remove the oscommerce logo at the top ??

With other e-commerce shop cart type programs I have used in the pasted, they allowed you to add html at the top of your page etc..

Also in the admin side of things you can normally add CV type database to add you stock items.

So are we able to take out a data field or a backup from PHPadmin, look at the layout... lets says excel, add the data and restore back, with the location of photo's etc.. ??

One other thing I have noticed with this program is that when you add a .gif file to a heading, it appears to be displayed correctly in one display and not the other.

Regards

Gary

The site you are trying to emulate is the result of some impressive HTML, graphics and php costumizing skills. That is why it is a FEATURED STORE. if you look through the list of the hundreds of live shops you shoudl see that spotit is one in a hundred.

So prepare to spend the money on a decent osc developer or take the time to learn almost every web development art and execute them on your site.

Also, did you get your answer to uploaded, or managing alot of products?

there are a few contributions that can help you with this. Also you could request remote access privelges for your mysql db and connect using M$ access or something similar to really hack away at the db.

Best Regards,

Salvatore Iozzia

Loaded Commerce - Oscommerce - All Loaded Up.

(spotit.com.au) A FEATURED STORE.. yes it is on this site.

That site is very much a standard type setup, the MIVA & Shopping Cart type software does the same.

They normally allow you the options of setting up HMTL as a header, and the buttons are only JAVA which is inserted into the source coding.

That site is very much a standard type setup, the MIVA & Shopping Cart type software does the same.

It is NOT a standard osCommerce shop. It is a heavily modified custom version. You will not get that when you download a snapshot.

No offense meant, but you should adjust your expectations a bit. The demo-shop in this site shows you what you get when you download osCommerce. The Featured Shops show you what CAN be done to osCommerce ;-)

They normally allow you the options of setting up HMTL as a header, and the buttons are only JAVA which is inserted into the source coding.

Well - you can do the same with osCommerce. The header is constructed by the file catalog/includes/header.php. It is quite simple to modify/enhance.

Using JavaScript menus or DHTML has been discussed before in this forum, search the archives to receive a lot of valuable information and even complete solutions.

osCommerce is not the all-in-one-can-do-everything-solution you might be expecting. It is a stable base which can be used out-of-the-box and it can serve as the starting point to build your perfect solution.

There are literally hundreds of contributions available that you can integrate - this is the result of community members that share their knowledge and sources - the world of OpenSource :-)

If you need help - we are here.

If you cannot code yourself - we will help you getting there.

If you want a completely modified version of osCommerce - you can pay a developer to do this.

That is the way things work here. If you can live with that you will become part of a very impressive community that has shown to be of great value.

Just wanted to put things straight.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

My header is all html, with the exception of one line of php.

Simply rename from default.htm to default.php...

PHP integrates much better than cgi thingies, java, etc.

And much more stable.

But like anything, it has rules and ya gotta follow 'em.

At least PHP will usually give you an error message so

you know where to look when things go sour.

In spite of the sometimes cryptic documentation of Open Source

software, the support that is availabe is 24/7 and live.

If you have a problem you can't resolve yourself, posted in one of the forums, a solution is usually at hand in hours, not days or weeks.

I suspect you'd be having similar problems with any software you chose.

• 1 month later...

Well, he's got a little less to complain about today.

I submitted a new contribution called EasyPopulate. It can take an excel/csv type file and upload it into the store, creating categories and subcategories and manufacturers on the fly, so you can set up your products and never touch the web interface.

It also provides a downloadable csv file that you can edit and upload again, to maintain and update your products.

Tim

Well, he's got a little less to complain about today.

I submitted a new contribution called EasyPopulate.  It can take an excel/csv type file and upload it into the store, creating categories and subcategories and manufacturers on the fly, so you can set up your products and never touch the web interface.

It also provides a downloadable csv file that you can edit and upload again, to maintain and update your products.

Tim

Where? I didn't find it. Thanks for your work :D

8) Lopo

If I helped you, you can help others too.

Search Affero Network. Thanks :)

--

moving mentalities >> fast forward

I love osCommerce! I was busy last week so I have my friend install it for me and set my admin account up and when I got back to my office, everything worked like a charm! I couldn't believe that this product was free. I'm still messing around with how to customize the boxes and such and the oder that they are in and what I have to do to be able to use 2checkout.com..

I love osCommerce and it's not their fault that you lack common sence enough not to be able to install it.

Did you every try getting ones opion on what snapshot to obtain and install before running off to your server upload god knows what and then coming to the forum flaming the software?

Not gonna happen. I suggest that you look somewhere else where all you do is click a button and the software is setup and you have no control of what the site looks like..

Good Luck!

Alex

Extreme Alterations

It's in the contributions side of oscommerce, in the Features category:

Could I use this if I wanted to upgrade, ie: save all of my products, etc from a pre-Nov 1st snapshop with your mod, uninstall the old snapshot and then install a new snapshot and bring in the old products with your mod? :nervous: Hey... might be onto something here!

Thanks,

Violet

Hmmm, interesting idea. I'm trying to thing if reasons why it shouldn't work, and I can't come up with any. The product description side of things didn't change much with the Nov1 changes, since that was mostly checkout procedure, right?

So, yes, I think it should work, if it doesn't, I'd like to debug whatever needs to be done to make it work.

I'd install the new oscommerce in parallel, then try exporting and importing, so if it doesn't go as planned, then you aren't out of business.

Let me know how it goes...

Tim

Thanks, Tim! I am at wits end with some mods that apparently work well with the new checkout, so this idea is worth a try. I will let you know what I come up with :D

Violet

Archived