• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

post adding items to order

iizzo

Is it possible to add items to costumer order?

I mean after it is showing in the admin section as a pending order that had been recived.

My client also calls his client and sells them more things so is it possible to add it so it will show in the invoice?

Changing an order/invoice is not within the scope of osCommerce. You could hack some changes to accomplish this, but we are not the all-in-one-for-free solution. I would not use osCommerce to do everything.

Just my .02 though. I could be terribly wrong.

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Changing an order/invoice is not within the scope of osCommerce. You could hack some changes to accomplish this, but we are not the all-in-one-for-free solution. I would not use osCommerce to do everything.

Honestly this kind of functionality would be extremely useful within osCommerce itself and intuitively is something that seems like it should be there. The file manager and database backup tools fall much further away from being a part of an e-commerce solution than this would.

Just my .02.

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

-- Andrew Jackson

Well - adding this ability as default will cause problems.

When I order something and I notice afterwards that my order has been changed I would feel pissed off.

There would also be the risk of an evil shop-owner that pushes up his revenues by adding products to orders without asking the customer.

osCommerce is a webshop solution - not a complete back-end system.

If people want to have this stuff they can code it and post it as contribution.

It is about consictency. When you place an order it should not be changed. If it is to be changed it can only be done when the customer agrees and accepts that. How can this be implemented in a reliable way?

These are functions we should not implement in CVS IMHO.

But if you want to have it - go ahead! This is Free Software. Modify it, enhance it, break it ;-)

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Hmm...

I do think the basic functionality of osCommerce is a shoppingcart but on the other hand it makes no sense having Order History, Order Total and stuff like that (both Admin & Client side) if you cannot alter the actual order inside osC.

The order data inthere will get highly inacurate pretty damn quick, unless you're happy with phpMyAdmin to change several tables per altered order.

I feel the basic functionality for this should be considered although I am in no way suggesting osCommerce should include a complete backoffice.

It just makes common sense to be able to alter orders in a sophisticated shopping cart like osC.

Just my 0.90756043218027780424829038303588 Eurocents :shock:

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

In addition to the above:

My concern is for items that can no longer be delivered instead of adding items, although you do get a lot of requests for that as well.

When I order something and I notice afterwards that my order has been changed I would feel pissed off.

It depends. If they say "Hey, we can't deliver that item so it is substracted from your total order" I can (and have to quite often) live with it.

Adding items without the clients request is absolute nonsense.

Modify it, enhance it, break it ;-)

I broke mine quite alot :)

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

My concern is for items that can no longer be delivered instead of adding items, although you do get a lot of requests for that as well.

Stock functions handle that ;-)

It depends. If they say "Hey, we can't deliver that item so it is substracted from your total order" I can (and have to quite often) live with it.

In that case your stock information was wrong ;-)

But the OP asked quite exactly that. Adding stuff to an existing order. How can osCommerce know that request is valid and accepted? The only way out would be to add a complete revision control system with auto-generated e-mail to the customer that needs to be answered before the change is booked. That would be a major change. If anyone wants to code it - fine. But I still don't see why this should be included as a default behaviour.

And I don't even start to ask about how to do this with real-time CC-transactions. Would you want to have a function in osC that allows the shop-owenr to get money from his customers without prior consent? Dangerous IMHO.

But the OP asked quite exactly that.

Actually the OP asked because:

My client also calls his client and sells them more things so is it possible to add it so it will show in the invoice?

So the product is being requested.

-- Andrew Jackson

So the product is being requested.

How can osCommerce know if that customer actually agreed? How can the shop-admin know if it really was the customer that called? It cannot. So there must be a way of telling the customer (by e-Mail) that the order has been changed on the shop-admins behalf and that the customer has to accept that change before it is being booked. That IS a major change.

Changing orders without agreemnet WILL cause problems, trust me ;-)

Accepting credit cards causes has a much greater potential for abuse and causes many more problems on both sides of the fence, but people still manage to trust each other enough to get business done.

It's not up to osCommerce to ensure the integrity of a shop owner, osCommerce is just a tool that is used to do business. To that end I think this feature would be welcome with open arms by most people.

-- Andrew Jackson

I wish it would, but selling clothing in sizes and colors isn't covered until now.

Example from today:

Order:

5 items in sizes and colors.

Payment: Homebanking

1 item sold out!

Mail to customer -> agreement -> new order total

Where is our mutual reference?

where in osc can we both se the new accepted order total?

The email send to the customer is the only proff, except paper!

I agree to those who thinks it should be possible to at least:

- delete an products - line in orders made

- recalculate a new order total

Best Regards

olby

It's not up to osCommerce to ensure the integrity of a shop owner, osCommerce is just a tool that is used to do business.

Well - there are some drawbacks. One is a legal drawback. Under European legislation we may be held responsible for the type of abuse I showed as an example. The customer could sue us for adding a function to osCommerce that allows getting money from his credit card without prior consent.

The shop owner could always say that this transaction was done by someone that was not allowed to do that but as the software allowed it he had no way of preventing this to happen.

That' why I say it should be a contribution and not a standard feature.

HTH

The customer could sue us for adding a function to osCommerce that allows getting money from his credit card without prior consent.

osCommerce doesn't handle credit cards, payment gateways do. Besides, the shop owner shouldn't be storing card numbers in the first place. When the customer adds to the order a separate transaction through the payment gateway would have to be made anyway, this would require the customer giving his/her card number over the phone just like any other phone order.

You've alread given people the means to acquire credit card number over the internet, this is the only "function" needed to get money out of it; with or without consent. If the shop owner has stored the cc# unsecurely then he/she is to blame already.

-- Andrew Jackson

I wish it would, but selling clothing in sizes and colors isn't covered until now.

Agreed. But that is caused by the attribute system that does not use separate SKU per combination of product/attribute.

I disagree. It handles what YOU have in stock but not what your supplier has in stock. It is common practice for e-commerce or mailorder shops to keep their stock as low as possible. This is purely economics, devaluation of products happens quickly so it is better to have minimal stock (Trust me, been there, done that) This might not apply to ALL shops but it will apply for 95% of them.

Agreed. But that is caused by the attribute system that does not use separate SKU per combination of product/attribute.

Even the attribute function support SKU/Quantity, it's still not pratical to use. For example, I have 100 different styles of clothing, each has S, M, L, XL, XXL in stock, and average each style has 4 different colors. That will result into 100x5x4=2000 product-attributes link.

Kenneth Wang

VA3RRW/BD4RR

Archived