• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How Do I Remove "Let's See What We Have Here"?

Azure Moon

Hi Everyone,

I'm a total and completely clueless newbie, so please be kind and use laymen's terms. I realize that this has probably been asked a lot of times, but I've searched the forums to no avail. :blink:

How do I remove the text/words "Let's See What We Have Here" when I, or a customer, clicks on an item? I need step by step instructions please...from where/which files and what to change it to.

All help/assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Brightest Blessings,

Azure Moon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Everyone,

I'm a total and completely clueless newbie, so please be kind and use laymen's terms. I realize that this has probably been asked a lot of times, but I've searched the forums to no avail. :blink:

How do I remove the text/words "Let's See What We Have Here" when I, or a customer, clicks on an item? I need step by step instructions please...from where/which files and what to change it to.

All help/assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Brightest Blessings,

Azure Moon

I think this is what you are wanting...

To get rid of "Let's See What We Have Here" for your Categories and Sub-Categories, you can replace them with the name of the categories or subcategories name.

Here is how I hacked the OsCommerce code to do it:

Open the following file in a text editor:

/yourstore/index.php

Do a search for the following line of code:

<?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?>

You will find three instances of each. Do the following:

To see the name of your CATAGORIES instead of "let's see what we have here" text, just replace the first instance of the code:

With the following:

<?php echo $category['categories_name'] ?>

To also have SUBCATEGORIES displayed dynamically as the CATAGORIES above, just replace the second instance of the code:

With the following:

<?php 
 $category_query1 = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, c.categories_image from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
  $category1 = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query1);

if ($category1['categories_name'] != "") {echo $category1['categories_name'];} else { echo HEADING_TITLE;} 
?>

The third <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?> should be left alone so you do not need to modify it at all.

Don't forget to save your document as the same name as the original index.php. That's all there is to it.

Hope this helped you out. :thumbsup:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I think this is what you are wanting...

To get rid of "Let's See What We Have Here" for your Categories and Sub-Categories, you can replace them with the name of the categories or subcategories name.

Here is how I hacked the OsCommerce code to do it:

Open the following file in a text editor:

/yourstore/index.php

Do a search for the following line of code:

You will find three instances of each. Do the following:

To see the name of your CATAGORIES instead of "let's see what we have here" text, just replace the first instance of the code:

With the following:

<?php echo $category['categories_name'] ?>

To also have SUBCATEGORIES displayed dynamically as the CATAGORIES above, just replace the second instance of the code:

With the following:

<?php 
 $category_query1 = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, c.categories_image from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
  $category1 = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query1);

if ($category1['categories_name'] != "") {echo $category1['categories_name'];} else { echo HEADING_TITLE;} 
?>

The third <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?> should be left alone so you do not need to modify it at all.

Don't forget to save your document as the same name as the original index.php. That's all there is to it.

Hope this helped you out. :thumbsup:

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for your reply, however, in my admin/index.php I don't see any of the lines you specified. Am I in the wrong place?

Here's my index.php file:

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Welcome to Azure Moon Jewelry And Gifts! We hope you enjoy shopping our online store. We\'ve searched the world to bring you hundreds of hand crafted, hard to find gift items and fine Sterling Silver jewelry with rare gemstones from Bali, Brazil, China, India, Italy, Tibet, the USA and from sources all around the world.<br>

<p>

All orders are processed securely via <A HREF=http://www.paypal.com TARGET="_new"><u>PayPal</u></a> using 128-bit encryption technology. Please <A HREF="contact_us.php"><u>contact us</u></a> if you have any questions or special requests. Happy Shopping!<br>

<p>

<b><i>Be sure to check out our links page for recommended books and other sites of interest!</b></i>

');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let\'s See What We Have Here.');

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');

define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

define('HEADING_TITLE','Products for a New Age');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

Not in ADMIN/index.php! He's talking about the catalog/index.php.

Okay...NOT in the Admin. So where do I change this? I hate sounding so stupid, but I'm new to all of this. Please help!

Dawn

aka Azure Moon

Okay...NOT in the Admin. So where do I change this? I hate sounding so stupid, but I'm new to all of this. Please help!

Dawn

aka Azure Moon

If you access your site using FTP then you should see a folder called public_html inside this folder is your index.php file you need to change for your original question.

Some hosts may not use public_html but I personally haven't run across one yet so this is the easiest thing I can jump in with to help you find the file. The folder {root or public_html} that holds the admin folder is the same folder you are looking for the index.php file in.

Note not admin/index.php but root or public_html/index.php

HTH -- Mindy

If you access your site using FTP then you should see a folder called public_html inside this folder is your index.php file you need to change for your original question.

Some hosts may not use public_html but I personally haven't run across one yet so this is the easiest thing I can jump in with to help you find the file. The folder {root or public_html} that holds the admin folder is the same folder you are looking for the index.php file in.

Note not admin/index.php but root or public_html/index.php

HTH -- Mindy

Hi Mindy,

Thank you for your reply. I went into my host, then public_html, then admin, the index.php - "Let's See What We Have Here" IS NOT in there anywhere.

The only place those words are that I can find, is if I go into my admin, tools, define languages, then index.php. - but only in there ONE time, not the three times as Bill had said -but everyone says NOT IN MY ADMIN - so where?

Can someone please direct me to the correct file?

Azure Moon

I went into my host, then public_html, then admin, the index.php - "Let's See What We Have Here" IS NOT in there anywhere.

Azure,

Go to your your site using FTP then you should see a folder called public_html.

Inside this folder is your index.php file you need to change for your original question.

It also contains ALL the files used to run osCommerce. It is a very good idea to download those files to your computer. (It's one way to backup your work in case something goes wrong with the changes you will be making.)

If you have made NO changes to your store, you could just download the files from http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/downloads

Make sure you select the correct format. If you are not sure, ask your webhost company if they are running a Windows server, or a Unix server.

When you have everything copied to your harddrive (make a folder to hold all the files), then copy that folder again on your computer. Now you will have 2 copies of all the php files, one for working on, and the other as a backup. Make sure you name the one folder as osCommerceBackup, so you don't get confused between the two.

Then go into your WEBHOST control panel and find a program called myphpAdmin. Open that and go to your database. Make sure you have your database selected, then, at the top of the page click the tab that says, EXPORT.

You'll want to SELECT ALL, (that's selecting all the tables in the database), scroll down the page and click the box that says SAVE AS A FILE. Then hit the go button.

You should get a prompt to download the database portion of the shopping cart. Download to the same folder as your osCommerceBackup. You may never need that file, but on the day you do, you'll be glad to have it!

Be sure to backup the database on a regular basis. Now, you could maybe just do the db backup from your oscommerce/Admin if it is working correctly. And that is an easier/faster solution to the db backup.

BUT, if you plan on doing much to your store, you are going to need to know where the database is, and how to IMPORT and EXPORT data. And now you'll know a little bit of what to expect.

Ok. Now that everything is backed up and sitting pretty, take a look around your folder that's not your Backup. There's a LOT of files there. And they are all important.

If you try to open them, and they open to a webpage, you may find it easier to change the file association.

In otherwords, right click a php file, and select: Open With... , Then Choose Program.

When you are given a choice, select Notepad OR Wordpad. Notepad is easier, but Wordpad may make the files look cleaner (more readable) the first time you open a php file.

When you select the program you'd like to use with php files (I use Notepad), be sure to click the box at the bottom that says, Always Use This Program To Open These Files.

Your catalog/index.php calls a whole bunch of other php files that are in the includes folder.

Here's how it kind of works:

index.php grabs info from

-> includes/application_top.php

-> the database

-> gets filenames from includes/filenames.php

-> calls includes/languages/english.php

-> calls includes/languages/english/index.php

ad nauseum.

Kinda makes the head whirl at first just trying to figure all this out. But you are brave, so let's party on.

You were given instructions by bkellum.

Open up the catalog/index.php file. You will not find the text "Let's See What We Have Here" because they are being pulled from another place. If you REALLY want to find out where those words are, go into your Windows Explorer, right click the osCommerce folder, and select SEARCH, then stick those words in the box that says "Contains the Text". Watch what weird files will pop up.

By the way, that little search tip will save you hours of work when you start making some serious changes to your store.

And back to blkellum's instructions. Just follow them EXACTLY if you want to lose the "Let's See What We Have Here" text. The silly phrase will be replaced by the names of the categories.

When you finish making the changes, SAVE the index.php file on your computer, then upload to your server. If you've copied everything over correctly, then you should be pleased. If something went wrong, then just grab the index.php file from your BACKUP folder, and upload that to your server. Then copy it again to your working folder, and start over.

Once you get the page to look/work right on the server, THEN you'll want to copy that from your working folder TO the Backup folder.

Twas a pain to type out, fearful to read, but I promise all of this is really simple to do once you get the hang of it. And one day down the road, you'll be saving your site and think, "That person way back when who told me how to backup has just saved me thousands of dollars and weeks of work/time. " Or not!

LOL!

Hope this helps.

Azure,

wow, can be so much more simplier-

the correct file you are looking for it

catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

The first one changes the main text on the homepage and if you look past that and go down far enough you will see define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let\'s See What We Have Here');

That is where you change it and go down further and you can change the What's New Here on the main page as well.

:)

Pattie

Whole file looks like this:

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:38:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.info" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Knowledge Base</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let\'s See What We Have Here');

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');

define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What\'s New Here?');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

Azure,

wow, can be so much more simplier-

the correct file you are looking for it

catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

The first one changes the main text on the homepage and if you look past that and go down far enough you will see define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let\'s See What We Have Here');

That is where you change it and go down further and you can change the What's New Here on the main page as well.

:)

Pattie

Pattie, that would work but...the solution posted above is very simple and also very dynamic. Instead of seeing "Let's See What We Have Here?", the solution I gave would actually insert the name of the category in the the heading. When you add custom categories/sub-categories to your shop, the code posted above would "automatically" insert this into your page removing all of the multible instances of "Let's See What We Have Here?" and "What's New" etc.

It really is a simple solution. The above posts have been long and detailed to try and help the original poster.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Pattie, yes, your solution would work, but then the same text of whatever is written would show up everywhere.

So, instead of reading "Let's see what we have here" it would read "Look at my stuff (or whatever I type)" everywhere. Much more descriptive, elegant, and more SEO to have the categories as titles.

Besides, much of what was written wasn't for someone who already knows how to manipulate the osCommerce program. It was meant for someone who needed help in grasping HOW to tame the beast.

next to the text let's see what we have here, there is also an image, how does one go about removing that?

There is a contribution that will replace those images with blanks or even remove them entirely, but I don't know which one it is. Anyways, sometimes contributions add more work for you with installation, as well as overhead to the server load.

If you NEVER plan to have category images show up in that location, in index.php there are two or three places where it says:

<?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?>

You could find all instances of that text and remove it. Then do the same with the other catalog .php pages.

If you use the find feature in Notepad, it should be pretty quick and easy to do.

Back up all files first.

Thanks so much. This is exactly the info I'm looking for re "Let's See What We Have Here" :-)... Hopefully I can figure it out. Lostndazed, thank you for that comprehensive "lesson". By what you've said, I gather it's exactly like working with your website html files - having them on your pc (which is what I do) so you always have exactly on your pc what's online so you can always back up.

Another quick question related to this. Someone mentioned the path "catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php".... for the life of me I can't find the catalog folder in my file manager :o If someone could give me the path I'd be very grateful :)

Thanks so much. This is exactly the info I'm looking for re "Let's See What We Have Here" :-)... Hopefully I can figure it out. Lostndazed, thank you for that comprehensive "lesson". By what you've said, I gather it's exactly like working with your website html files - having them on your pc (which is what I do) so you always have exactly on your pc what's online so you can always back up.

Another quick question related to this. Someone mentioned the path "catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php".... for the life of me I can't find the catalog folder in my file manager :o If someone could give me the path I'd be very grateful :)

Hillie, It depends upon what you are wanting to do. If you are wanting to insert the dynamic solution that I posted above then you DO NOT need to edit anything in the includes/languages/english/index.php file since all of the edits that need to be done is in the "yourstore.com/index.php" file. Keep in mind, osCommerce has files of the same name located in different folders so don't confuse them as the same file...THEY ARE DIFFERENT. :blink:

As far as the "catalog" folder, this is another big confusion by newbies. OsCommerce calls the collection of its files a "catalog". So...if you installed osCommerce in, let's say a folder called "shop", then "shop" would be your "catalog" folder. If you installed your store files in the root directory (www.yourstore.com) then your domain name is the "catalog" folder. I bring this up since it is a VERY IMPORTANT concept to understand, especially when installing contributions (add-ons) onto your store. :thumbsup:

Have fun,

Bill K.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hillie, It depends upon what you are wanting to do. If you are wanting to insert the dynamic solution that I posted above then you DO NOT need to edit anything in the includes/languages/english/index.php file since all of the edits that need to be done is in the "yourstore.com/index.php" file. Keep in mind, osCommerce has files of the same name located in different folders so don't confuse them as the same file...THEY ARE DIFFERENT. :blink:

As far as the "catalog" folder, this is another big confusion by newbies. OsCommerce calls the collection of its files a "catalog". So...if you installed osCommerce in, let's say a folder called "shop", then "shop" would be your "catalog" folder. If you installed your store files in the root directory (www.yourstore.com) then your domain name is the "catalog" folder. I bring this up since it is a VERY IMPORTANT concept to understand, especially when installing contributions (add-ons) onto your store. :thumbsup:

Have fun,

Bill K.

Hi Everyone,

I just want to thank everyone for all of their input/solution to this query...it's greatly appreciated.

I finally got this issue resolved, but even though Bill worked with me personally through email (thank you Bill for all your help!), and everyone's instructions were clear, I wasn't able to find the lines of code they had specified due to me having an older version of OsCommerce. Fortunately, Rob Bell, aka shooter-boy, was able to make the necessary changes to my index.php file and now I'm good to go.

Again, thank you all so much for trying to help a "clueless wonder"...LOL! I hope all of these replies help someone else like me who's just starting out.

Azure Moon

Have fun,

Bill K.

Thanks so much, Bill. My sister's shop is installed into the public_html folder in her File Manager. So I gather the path is simply public_html / oscommerce / index.php. Thanks again too for the explanation re catalog :) Every bit of help is always appreciated esp when you're trying to get the hang of all this :-" lol...

Thanks so much, Bill. My sister's shop is installed into the public_html folder in her File Manager. So I gather the path is simply public_html / oscommerce / index.php. Thanks again too for the explanation re catalog :) Every bit of help is always appreciated esp when you're trying to get the hang of all this whistling.gif lol...
Yes, you may be correct. If a store was installed in the root directory of a web site, when using a FTP client or looking at your files through a web file manager, the path would be "public_html/" If the store was installed in a specific folder such as "shop", then the path would be "public_html/shop/".

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

There is a contribution that will replace those images with blanks or even remove them entirely, but I don't know which one it is. Anyways, sometimes contributions add more work for you with installation, as well as overhead to the server load.

If you NEVER plan to have category images show up in that location, in index.php there are two or three places where it says:

<?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?>

You could find all instances of that text and remove it. Then do the same with the other catalog .php pages.

If you use the find feature in Notepad, it should be pretty quick and easy to do.

Back up all files first.

I probabl explained wrong. What I meant is that next to the right of the text "let's see what we have here" it looks like there should be an image there but since there isn't I am shown alternative text.

As there is no image there, there is nothing to delete in the images folder, but the alternative text is still displayed. www.eastcoastlacrosse.co.uk/shop/catalog

the line

Does not appear in index.php

Cna anyone help

sorry ignore that.

the line does appear, I deleted it, but I still get alternative text saying "lets see what we have here.

someone must know how to remove this com on.

Carl, it's really pretty simple. You should follow the instructions from my previous post in this thread. Was your store created using a template or heavily modified shop making it difficult to make the neccessary changes.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Archived