• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags for novices

GemRock

Hi Ken thats the one ive downloaded done it 3 times now. I will try once more just to be sure. Sorry for being a pain.. RIGHT not 100% sure but i think my FTP was uploading it in ASCII. I have just deleted all files and re uploaded and I think that its ok. I know the Admin bit is ok now but just gunna see if it actually puts the tags into the products.

Edited by pgreen50

Hi Phil

It should work now (up to 300 products). something strange there but as a quick fix, that'd do. just make ure you do not replace the header_tags_edit.php

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

AHHH Think i may have done that!! Will this ruin the whole install then?? Think i have bogged it up. I can see up to 300 products but when i add the tags it says they have been done but when looking at product code they are not.

Edited by pgreen50

You used the wrong header tag code for thr product info.php which i have corrected but it seems you may have another header tag (title in particular) installed.

I tested the trodutional bear family and it shows the customised desc & keywrods.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

...but the one on the googlecode site is a bit out of date...

The above is referring to a bit of code in the edit_header_tags.php that may affect some servers. some whether you are affected or not, you can do the following:

find lines 135/136

<form name="update" method="POST" action="<?php echo "$PHP_SELF?action=update&page=$page&sort_by=$sort_by&cPath=$current_category_id&row_by_page=$row_by_page&manufacturer=$manufacturer"; ?>">
								<td align="right" valign="middle"><?php echo tep_image_submit('button_update.gif', IMAGE_UPDATE, "action=update&cPath=$current_category_id&page=$page&sort_by=$sort_by&row_by_page=$row_by_page");?>  </td>

replace it with

<?php echo tep_draw_form('update', FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT, "action=update&page=$page&cPath=$current_category_id&row_by_page=$row_by_page&manufacturer=$manufacturer", 'post'); ?>
								<td align="right" valign="middle"><?php echo tep_image_submit('button_update.gif', IMAGE_UPDATE, "action=update&cPath=$current_category_id&page=$page&row_by_page=$row_by_page");?>  </td>

this issue was dealt with a while ago on this support thread.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

I have no choice but to put my request here since my post in the General Support got deleted and no one replied to it. Hence I am really hoping that you help me out. Here is the problem which I had put up:

Hi,

My website is http://www.retaildepot.ca. I just want to say that that everything else about Header Tags works like a charm. The only problem is while in my main Admin section. I clicked on "Product Meta Tags" to edit the Title and Meta tags for my individual products. Initially it is showing my 1-4 out of 7 products. But it simply won't show me the other remaining 3 products which are on the next page. Even if I change the "Display Products per page" to a higher number it still displays the initial 4 products. So because of this I am only restricted to edit the 4 products I see there. What could be the possible solution for this problem?

P.S. If you want I can send you the required code for any page you need to rectify this.

Regards,

Gary.

...Even if I change the "Display Products per page" to a higher number it still displays the initial 4 products. So because of this I am only restricted to edit the 4 products I see there. What could be the possible solution for this problem...

it is controlled by "maximum display search results" in configuration - max. value. you can also change it in the file header_tags_edit.php. search for "MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS" and change it to, say, 300.

Ken

it is controlled by "maximum display search results" in configuration - max. value. you can also change it in the file header_tags_edit.php. search for "MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS" and change it to, say, 300.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

But I was not able to find the file header_tags_edit.php. Where exactly is it? I went through all the folders and files and couldn't find it. I also did a hard disk search (Ctrl+F) and still no sign of that file. Can you please give me the exact path of the file where "MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS" is located?

Regards,

Gary.

...while in my main Admin section. I clicked on "Product Meta Tags" to edit the Title and Meta tags ...

as you said above, after clicking on Product Meta Tags, look at your browser's address bar, that will tell you the file name & its location, itd be under your admin folder. download it to your pc, then edit it.

and make sure you are NOT looking at or searching someone else computer :)

Ken

Hello,

my english is not so good. sory about that. but i have the same problem. in my admin product meta tags an category meta tags. i have 11 sites an i not can change the sites. the contrib show me only the first 10 products from each categorie and I can not switch sides.

I have the entries in header_tags_edit.php changed but it changes nothing. my admin area run under ssl, but this can not be the problem? or?

please help

regards Pascal

...my admin area run under ssl, but this can not be the problem? ...

No, SSL shouldn't be the problem. what version of osc you are using? is your server/php register_globals ON or OFF?

Ken

also try to replace lines between 14 and 73, ie, line14

define('FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT', 'header_tags_edit.php');

and line73

}

with:

require('includes/application_top.php');
 if (isset($_GET['cPath'])) {
$current_category_id = $_GET['cPath'];
 } else {
$current_category_id = 0;
 }
 if (isset($_GET['page'])) {
$page = $_GET['page'];
 } else {
$page= 1;
 }
 if (isset($_GET['row_by_page'])) {
$row_by_page = $_GET['row_by_page'];
 } else {
$row_by_page = MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS;
 }

if (isset($_GET['manufacturer'])) {
	$manufacturer = $_GET['manufacturer'];
} else {
	$manufacturer = 0;
}

define('MAX_DISPLAY_ROW_BY_PAGE' , $row_by_page );
// Display the list of the manufacturers
function manufacturers_list(){
//		global $manufacturer;
	} else {
		$manufacturer = 0;
	}
	$manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select m.manufacturers_id, m.manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m order by m.manufacturers_name ASC");
	$return_string = '<select name="manufacturer" onChange="this.form.submit();">';
	$return_string .= '<option value="0">' . TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS . '</option>';
	while($manufacturers = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_query)){
			$return_string .= '<option value="' . $manufacturers['manufacturers_id'] . '"';
			if($manufacturer && $manufacturers['manufacturers_id'] == $manufacturer) $return_string .= ' SELECTED';
			$return_string .= '>' . $manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . '</option>';
	}
	$return_string .= '</select>';
	return $return_string;
}
// Uptade database
 switch ($_GET['action']) {
case 'update' :
  $count_update=0;
  $item_updated = array();
			  if($_POST['title_tag_new']){
			   foreach($HTTP_POST_VARS['title_tag_new'] as $id => $new_title) {
					 if (trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['title_tag_new'][$id]) != trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['title_tag_old'][$id])) {
					   $count_update++;
					   $item_updated[$id] = 'updated';
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " SET title_tag='" . $new_title . "'" . " WHERE products_id=" . $id . " and language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");
					 }
			   }
			}
			  if($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_new']){
			   foreach($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_new'] as $id => $new_desc) {
					 if (trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_new'][$id]) != trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_old'][$id])) {
					   $count_update++;
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " SET desc_tag='" . $new_desc . "'". " WHERE products_id=" . $id . " and language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " SET products_last_modified=now() WHERE products_id=$id");
					 }
			   }
			}
			  if($HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_new']){
			   foreach($HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_new'] as $id => $new_keywords) {
					 if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_new'][$id] != $HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_old'][$id]) {
					   $count_update++;
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " SET keywords_tag='" . $new_keywords . "'" . " WHERE products_id=" . $id . " and language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");
					 }
			   }
			}
 $count_item = array_count_values($item_updated);
 if ($count_item['updated'] > 0) $messageStack->add($count_item['updated'].' '.TEXT_PRODUCTS_UPDATED . " $count_update " . TEXT_QTY_UPDATED, 'success');
 break;
}
// define the step for products shown per page
  $row_bypage_array = array(array());
  for ($i = 10; $i <=300; $i=$i+10) {
  $row_bypage_array[] = array('id' => $i,
							  'text' => $i);
  }

NB: any one who downloads the contribution do NOT forget to also download "install-v2.zip", ie, the installation instructions, which is not included in the contribution download.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

what version of osc you are using? is your server/php register_globals ON or OFF?

Hello,

Independent SEO Header Tags For Novices v4.00

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2

register_globals Off

Server OS: Linux 2.6.18-128.el5PAE

HTTP Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

Database: MySQL 5.0.77-community

regards Pascal

now it works very well.Thank you very mutch for the quick solution.

do NOT forget to also download "install-v2.zip", ie,

I didn't realise that i needed to download this. :blush:

thank you very mutch

regards pascal

that'd be OK. btw, you should follow the Contribution link in my signature to download the contribution & the instruction file, just in case.

Good luck!

Ken

1. yes, its normal behaviou of chemo's ultimate seo urls contribution;

2. dont quite understand your question and i don't use that contribution, which has nothing to do with my contribution.

Ken

define('FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT', 'header_tags_edit.php');

and line73

}

with:

require('includes/application_top.php');
 if (isset($_GET['cPath'])) {
$current_category_id = $_GET['cPath'];
 } else {
$current_category_id = 0;
 }
 if (isset($_GET['page'])) {
$page = $_GET['page'];
 } else {
$page= 1;
 }
 if (isset($_GET['row_by_page'])) {
$row_by_page = $_GET['row_by_page'];
 } else {
$row_by_page = MAX_DISPLAY_SEARCH_RESULTS;
 }

} else {
	$manufacturer = 0;
}

define('MAX_DISPLAY_ROW_BY_PAGE' , $row_by_page );
// Display the list of the manufacturers
function manufacturers_list(){
//		global $manufacturer;
	} else {
		$manufacturer = 0;
	}
	$manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select m.manufacturers_id, m.manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m order by m.manufacturers_name ASC");
	$return_string = '<select name="manufacturer" onChange="this.form.submit();">';
	$return_string .= '<option value="0">' . TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS . '</option>';
	while($manufacturers = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_query)){
			$return_string .= '<option value="' . $manufacturers['manufacturers_id'] . '"';
			if($manufacturer && $manufacturers['manufacturers_id'] == $manufacturer) $return_string .= ' SELECTED';
			$return_string .= '>' . $manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . '</option>';
	}
	$return_string .= '</select>';
	return $return_string;
}
// Uptade database
 switch ($_GET['action']) {
case 'update' :
  $count_update=0;
  $item_updated = array();
			  if($_POST['title_tag_new']){
			   foreach($HTTP_POST_VARS['title_tag_new'] as $id => $new_title) {
					 if (trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['title_tag_new'][$id]) != trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['title_tag_old'][$id])) {
					   $count_update++;
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " SET title_tag='" . $new_title . "'" . " WHERE products_id=" . $id . " and language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");
					 }
			   }
			}
			  if($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_new']){
			   foreach($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_new'] as $id => $new_desc) {
					 if (trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_new'][$id]) != trim($HTTP_POST_VARS['desc_tag_old'][$id])) {
					   $count_update++;
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " SET desc_tag='" . $new_desc . "'". " WHERE products_id=" . $id . " and language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " SET products_last_modified=now() WHERE products_id=$id");
					 }
			   }
			}
			  if($HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_new']){
			   foreach($HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_new'] as $id => $new_keywords) {
					 if ($HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_new'][$id] != $HTTP_POST_VARS['keywords_tag_old'][$id]) {
					   $count_update++;
					   mysql_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " SET keywords_tag='" . $new_keywords . "'" . " WHERE products_id=" . $id . " and language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'");
					 }
			   }
			}
 $count_item = array_count_values($item_updated);
 if ($count_item['updated'] > 0) $messageStack->add($count_item['updated'].' '.TEXT_PRODUCTS_UPDATED . " $count_update " . TEXT_QTY_UPDATED, 'success');
 break;
}
// define the step for products shown per page
  $row_bypage_array = array(array());
  for ($i = 10; $i <=300; $i=$i+10) {
  $row_bypage_array[] = array('id' => $i,
							  'text' => $i);
  }

NB: any one who downloads the contribution do NOT forget to also download "install-v2.zip", ie, the installation instructions, which is not included in the contribution download.

Ken

Thanks a lot Ken. Everything works perfectly now. Just a suggestion. Why don't you include this instruction in your download package? Then new users can easily get it fom there since your instructions are very clear.

Gary.

Thanks a lot Ken. Everything works perfectly now. Just a suggestion. Why don't you include this instruction in your download package? Then new users can easily get it fom there since your instructions are very clear.

Gary.

when several people reported the same problem then there could well be a problem in the contribution so I decided to take a look and indeed I discovered the file header_tags_edit.php in version 4.0 was the wrong one in that it would have a problem of not being able to set/change row number per page on servers with register_globals set to OFF. This is more a problem as hosts are upgrading to PHP5, which would set register_globals to OFF by default.

I have now released version 5.0 (follow the Contribution link in my signature to download), which is now including installation instructions.

Thanks to all those who reported the problem recently!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Kellie or zefeena,

post the full error msg here.

Ken

Hi guys,

I just installed header tags for novices on a 2.2RCa install, have respected all the steps in the installation procedures and still, I have stumbled upon this error whenever I try to access the index.php

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_db_query() in /home/rcro/public_html/index.php on line 44

Now, line 44 in my index.php file states :

$cat_names_query = tep_db_query("SELECT categories_name FROM " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " WHERE language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'" . " ORDER BY RAND()");

Unfortunately my php skills are extremely limited and I don't really understand the issue at hand here. Can someone give me a hand ? If not taking the installation to its end (working headers) at least putting the website back online would be great :).

Thanks beforehand.

tep_db_query is a standard osc function defined in database.php and is included in application_top.php of every file, so dont know why it would be missing.

perhaps you could post the first 50 lines or so of your index.php here?

Ken