• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags for novices

GemRock

I did not realise there had been quite a few posts here since last time - seems the forum has somewhow stopped sending out emails.

anyway, in addition to Coopco's posts, the ONLY reason you got that error (fields do not exist) is:

1. you do not finish modifying the application_top.php, in particular, this part of code in Step 2:

if (!mysql_query("SELECT title_tag FROM " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION)){
  tep_db_query("ALTER TABLE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " ADD COLUMN title_tag VARCHAR(255) NULL, ADD COLUMN desc_tag TEXT NULL, ADD COLUMN keywords_tag VARCHAR(255) NULL");
}

2. you have not browsed to your site (the osc home page or any product page would be OK).

Note that there are two applicaton_top.php files. This contrubition only modifies the one under [catalog]/includes/, NOT the one at the admin side.

Good Luck!

Ken

Hi Ken,

i got the same error there. but i already follow the instruction.. browsed to the site... n i already checked the application_top.php n got that code inside it.

how i can fix this error.

thanks..

Hi Ken,

i got the same error there. but i already follow the instruction.. browsed to the site... n i already checked the application_top.php n got that code inside it.

how i can fix this error.

thanks..

now i am not going to guess. what error?

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Novice user but everything has installed with no errors.

I have added tags in the admin and updated accordingly but they are not showing in the appropriate page....any idea why?

there could be a million reasons there if the following is unknown or not clear:

1. what exactly the 'the appropriate page' is;

2. what meta tags have actually been put in the file that generates that 'the appropriate page'.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

now i am not going to guess. what error?

Ken

1054 - Unknown column 'pd.title_tag' in 'field list'

select p.products_id, p.manufacturers_id, pd.products_name, pd.title_tag, pd.desc_tag, pd.keywords_tag, p.manufacturers_id from products p, products_description pd where p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '1' limit 0, 20

[TEP STOP]

that the error message... but when i put some product inside... the error gone...

1054 - Unknown column 'pd.title_tag' in 'field list'...

this was answered a few times before, and if the installation instruction has been followed carefully you should not experience this problem. the very bit of the instruction related to this is the third or final modification of the application_top.php, and this text higlighted in colour:

Now, go to your osCommerce Home page, click a category or product. This will add 3 new fields to the table products_description in the database.

Ken

Hi

Thnx for this contribution it looks very promising!

I can enter tags in the database and that works great.

But now when I want to add it to admin, it says i do not have rights to view and to contact the administrator.

I tried to chmod 666 the files that i have uploaded but still nothing.

Please help.

<br />Hi<br /><br />Thnx for this contribution it looks very promising!<br /><br />I can enter tags in the database and that works great.<br /><br />But now when I want to add it to admin, it says i do not have rights to view and to contact the administrator.<br /><br />I tried to chmod 666 the files that i have uploaded but still nothing.<br /><br />Please help.<br />
Hello

this problem does not relate to my contribution whatsoever. it is strange if you are the site owner then you would be able to run the function (edit header tags) at will (can you add new products or edit products?). i guess you will need to talk to your host to see why you are not allowed to do what you want to do.

Ken

edit: seem the forum editor has gone funny???

Edited by GemRock

Thnx for the reply Gemrock.

It's weird, I agree. I can add/modify products, but it seems that contributions somehow need more rights I had the same problem with other contributions, I was hoping you knew what to do. ;)

Think I'll contact the host then.

**Edit**: I forgot to add the header edit php file! :rolleyes: I needed to add the php file under the Administrator section at file security, I totally forgot.

Thnx again for this great contribution! :lol:

Edited by speelmax

... but it seems that contributions somehow need more rights I had the same problem with other contributions...

deleted. no longer apply.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

I do have one more question.

The main page has no tags right now, can that be changed?

Couldn't edit my previous post..

But I have solved it, I let product_info.php use another template then the mainpage (they both used the same). I have copied the template of the mainpage and tagged it for the header tags so product_info can use it, and still the mainpage can have its own keywords, description etc.

the answer can be found in the past few pages.

Ken

I dont understand, I'm sorry. I've tried several solutions I thought that might solve it like chang the title to:

<title><?php echo $header_tags[title_tag]; ?></title>

Instead of:

<?php echo ((strlen($categories['categories_name']) > 1) || (strlen($manufacturers['manufacturers_name']) > 1)) ? $header_tags['products_name'] . ' - ' . $breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(' ') . ' - ' . TITLE : TITLE; ?>

But that doesn't help. I'm not very experienced with this sorry :blush:

Roy: you seem to be using a template and some templates are known to confuse people by leaving the header code in the file(s) but completely (unnecessarily) ignore it (and dont tell you) so whatever changes you make there wont have any effect.

jannieballiett: sorry to hear you managed to mess up your ability (although your ability of messing up simple things seems to have been enhanced?) as in fact you dont even need to touch the admin side for it to work. and as with any other contributions, it is offered as is and at users own risk (actually there is no risk if instructions are followed closely and carefully and questions can be asked if unsure).

Ken

So, just to be sure.

I can't do anything about the database not being used for the headertags? :o

the answer is yes and no. yes, it can be used on any osc shop be it templated or not. no, if you dont change the way the template behaves or figure out how to add the header tags code to the right place (you can search this thread for how others who use templates do it if you happen to use the same template as they do). i am sorry i cant possibly cover all different kinds of templates and give you step by step instructions.

good luck!

Ken

Hi Ken,

What a great contribution. I can only be described as a "novice" but everything installed perfectly. Just took my time and followed your instructions, which of my limited experience of contributions, look to be well thought out and almost failsafe. Particularly liked the facility to copy the code required at the touch of a button. I would recommend this contribution to anyone with or without experience of PHP coding. Thanks again.

(Just hope I won't be back next week having discovered I did something wrong!)

Regards

David

Hi Ken,

What a great contribution...

Hi David

Thank you and glad you like it. You are one of those who were in my mind when I created the contribution and its instructions and one who has the following qualities:

1. good attention to details;

2. focusing on one thing and one thing only for 10 minutes even during an earthquake;

3. nothing else.

Wish you all the luck and progress from now one.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

..."Display Products per page" is not work Always stay on 4 per page...

I am sorry but what makes you think this problem is related to my contribution?

there is a setting in admin - configuration, which controls how many products you want to show per page, unless your site has been modified or has a problem in it, in which case no one could help you without looking into the settings/files.

Ken

may be is miss understanding when I go to catalog/Edit Header Tags see the picture below

miss.jpg

Display Products per page is blank

when click on it and then from the drop down menu chose any number like 10,20,30, ....300

it still stay on the same page 4 per page

and also when I hit next on the bottom it still stay on the same page where was

please help everything in my site map shows home page title is total mess

I am sorry but what makes you think this problem is related to my contribution?

there is a setting in admin - configuration, which controls how many products you want to show per page, unless your site has been modified or has a problem in it, in which case no one could help you without looking into the settings/files.

Ken