• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags for novices

GemRock

Did you open a product after going to the index page in order for fields to be loaded?

yes i did..twice, just to make sure.. since the fields didn't get loaded, how do i load the fields?

at this point i have rolled back to the original files, but have left the uploaded files in place. do i need to reload the 'uploaded' files again? i can, and it' would not be a problem.

thanks,

ron-

yes i did..twice, just to make sure.. since the fields didn't get loaded, how do i load the fields?

at this point i have rolled back to the original files, but have left the uploaded files in place. do i need to reload the 'uploaded' files again? i can, and it' would not be a problem.

thanks,

ron-

real quick.. when you refer to 'open a product' do you mean:

1. opening a product thru the backend 'admin | catalog'

2. go to ronzsmokinwood.com then click on a product page and view hickory-wood-chunks 2lbs. (basically just going to my site and being a customer clicking around.)

ron-

real quick.. when you refer to 'open a product' do you mean:

1. opening a product thru the backend 'admin | catalog'

2. go to ronzsmokinwood.com then click on a product page and view hickory-wood-chunks 2lbs. (basically just going to my site and being a customer clicking around.)

ron-

The latter, not the former ie number 2.

The latter, not the former ie number 2.

thats what i thought, and i did that.. so to move forward, i re-uploaded the files and then placed the modified files back into the correct directories. this said, i recieved the same error.

do i need to do something else to make this work? let me know.

ron-

thats what i thought, and i did that.. so to move forward, i re-uploaded the files and then placed the modified files back into the correct directories. this said, i recieved the same error.

ron-

The only other thing is to recheck the edits that you did.

...this said, i recieved the same error.

I did not realise there had been quite a few posts here since last time - seems the forum has somewhow stopped sending out emails.

anyway, in addition to Coopco's posts, the ONLY reason you got that error (fields do not exist) is:

1. you do not finish modifying the application_top.php, in particular, this part of code in Step 2:

if (!mysql_query("SELECT title_tag FROM " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION)){
  tep_db_query("ALTER TABLE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " ADD COLUMN title_tag VARCHAR(255) NULL, ADD COLUMN desc_tag TEXT NULL, ADD COLUMN keywords_tag VARCHAR(255) NULL");
}

2. you have not browsed to your site (the osc home page or any product page would be OK).

Note that there are two applicaton_top.php files. This contrubition only modifies the one under [catalog]/includes/, NOT the one at the admin side.

Good Luck!

Ken

Edited by GemRock

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

I did not realise there had been quite a few posts here since last time - seems the forum has somewhow stopped sending out emails.

anyway, in addition to Coopco's posts, the ONLY reason you got that error (fields do not exist) is:

1. you do not finish modifying the application_top.php, in particular, this part of code in Step 2:

if (!mysql_query("SELECT title_tag FROM " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION)){
  tep_db_query("ALTER TABLE " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " ADD COLUMN title_tag VARCHAR(255) NULL, ADD COLUMN desc_tag TEXT NULL, ADD COLUMN keywords_tag VARCHAR(255) NULL");
}

2. you have not browsed to your site (the osc home page or any product page would be OK).

Note that there are two applicaton_top.php files. This contrubition only modifies the one under [catalog]/includes/, NOT the one at the admin side.

Good Luck!

Ken

thx ken,

i got it working.. GREAT contrib.!

ron-

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I just installed this contribution, and everything works as it should except when I upload a description for a product (only tried 1 product so far), it is stored in the database, but is not shown in the metatag on the productpage. What can I check and do to fix this?

Thanks

Lollo

edit - had the same problem as GoAia

should have read before posting - sorry

working great so far ;)

Edited by 2001kx

also what does this do? " below "

i thought it let the page title tags work but it doesnt?

all i have showing is description and keywords...no page title

By default, the header_tags_edit.php does not show the left column. If you want to show it, then open header_tags_edit.php, uncomment line 119 so that it looks like:

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>

1. text colour: is controlled by [admin]/includes/stylesheet.css. look for smallText class in the css file, and make changes to fit your site. note that whatever changes you make might also affect other parts of the admin side at your site;

2. line 119 might not be the line number of the file in the downloaded files. so just look for the line where the column_left.php is - there is only one place in the file, and make the change as mentioned.

Good luck!

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

1. text colour: is controlled by [admin]/includes/stylesheet.css. look for smallText class in the css file, and make changes to fit your site. note that whatever changes you make might also affect other parts of the admin side at your site;

2. line 119 might not be the line number of the file in the downloaded files. so just look for the line where the column_left.php is - there is only one place in the file, and make the change as mentioned.

Good luck!

Ken

i did change it but i dont know what it does.

i didnt see any change?

i did change it but i dont know what it does.

i didnt see any change?

sorry i dont understand what you are saying or referring to at all, so cant help.

Ken

Hello:

I just installed this contribution, everything works fine utilizing the first option change for products_info.php. I really want to use the second option, which shows the complete category path (category and subcategory) on the product info page. When I use this option everything works fine except when I upload a description for a product. It is stored in the database, but does not show up in the title, description and keywords. Also, with this option, the product name and category run together in the description and keywords.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for making such an easy to install and use contribution. I apologize if I am being redundant.

Thanks

SA

...I really want to use the second option, which shows the complete category path (category and subcategory) on the product info page. ..

if i understand you problem correctly, then you could try to replace the two meta tags (description & keywords) of the second option with the two meta tags so that it looks like this:

<title><?php echo ((strlen($categories['categories_name']) > 1) || (strlen($manufacturers['manufacturers_name']) > 1)) ? $header_tags['products_name'] . ' - ' . $breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(' ') . ' - ' . TITLE : TITLE; ?>
</title>
<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $header_tags[desc_tag]; ?>">
<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo $header_tags[keywords_tag]; ?>">

as you can see it is quite simply so you probably can place with different combinations to fit your needs.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

you may have been toooo careful to miss some something 'big' :) . check this:

STEP 2 - Edit includes/application_top.php

- copy breadcrumb_tags.php to the RIGHT folder on server;

- modification of application_top.php

NOTE that both the catalog and the admin sides use the SAME folder structure, and the same file names for many files.

or could you list (1, 2, 3...) the things you have done to install the contribution?

next time i think i better add a check list to the installation instructions. but before that happens it may be better to print it out then tick each item that has been done.

Ken

Hello Ken,

After our server crashed, i had to reinstall the website from scratch,

Your contrib is the first one i installed, after installation everything worked perfectly,

The next contrib i installed was "Ultimate Seo Urls v2.5 (18 Aug 2008)",

After the installation i'm receiving this error as well

Fatal error: Call to a member function trail_tags() on a non-object in /home/content/*/*/*/****/****/osc/index.php on line 39

Any idea what's going on and how to solve it?

Thanks for everything

Yossi

Yossi,

Assuming your installations have no problems, get rid of the USU v2.5, and install a version of USU directly under the original creator Chemo's name, which is good enough. Dont be carried away by the 'new' versions. Unless you have plenty of time or you dont mind to play around hrs after hrs (e.g., you only have one site to do which is yours).

Ken

Yossi,

Assuming your installations have no problems, get rid of the USU v2.5, and install a version of USU directly under the original creator Chemo's name, which is good enough. Dont be carried away by the 'new' versions. Unless you have plenty of time or you dont mind to play around hrs after hrs (e.g., you only have one site to do which is yours).

Ken

Thanks so much for the help Ken,

I restored the backup files and installed the latest Chemo version but i'm still receiving the same error.

Your contrib is awesome but with the USU it's the perfect search engine combination.

Any idea how to solve it? I tried your new breadcrumb_tags.php that you offered on the forum but that did not work either.

Let me know.

Thanks for everything

Yossi

now lets make this clear:

1. you didn't have that error before installing USU;

2. the error only occurred after you installed USU. what is the version number of USU you installed;

Post the few lines of the meta tags of your index.php here.

Ken

now lets make this clear:

1. you didn't have that error before installing USU;

2. the error only occurred after you installed USU. what is the version number of USU you installed;

Post the few lines of the meta tags of your index.php here.

Ken

Thanks for the quick reply Ken,

yes your contrib was the first one i installed (the easiest and most efficient contrib i saw on oscommerce)

The version # of the USU is the 2.1c

here is the code form index.php

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>"> 
<title><?php echo (strlen($categories['categories_name']) > 1) || (strlen($manufacturers['manufacturers_name']) > 1) ? $breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(' ') . ' - ' . TITLE : TITLE; ?></title>
<meta name="description" content="<?php echo strip_tags($breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(' ')); ?>">
<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo strip_tags($breadcrumb_tags->trail_tags(', ')); ?>">

<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">
</head>
<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">
<!-- header //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header.php'); ?>
<!-- header_eof //-->
<!-- body //-->
<tr>
<td width="173" align="right" valign="top" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<table width="171" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>
</table>
</td>
<td width="557" valign="top" align="left">
	<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="555">
		<?php

Thanks for all the help

Best

Yossi

Hello

You may somehow miss this bit of code in [catalog]/includes/application_top.php after installing USU:

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb_tags.php');
 $breadcrumb_tags = new breadcrumb_tags;

and double check your application_top.php.

HTH

Ken

Hello

You may somehow miss this bit of code in [catalog]/includes/application_top.php after installing USU:

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb_tags.php');
 $breadcrumb_tags = new breadcrumb_tags;

and double check your application_top.php.

HTH

Ken

This will probably make you laugh a little but i don't have that line at all on my application top

Any idea where i should add it?

Thanks for the help

Yossi

This will probably make you laugh a little but i don't have that line at all on my application top

Any idea where i should add it?

Thanks for the help

Yossi

the reason as to why is in the installation instructions - it is simply a you-must-do-it for the whole thing to work.

Ken