• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search Criteria "Search Bys"

Currently you only have the NAME, MODEL and DESCRIPTION to search in. So yes, you could make a form that says "Search Title" but it will need to go and look in one of the mentioned fields for it.

You will need to create additional table fields / queries to do the stuff you're referring to.

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Umm i didnt really understand you there.

Been thinkin of making a linked word to a predefined search in the product's description or something.

Guess I didn't understand you then... Do you want to:

1) Search for "Keanu Reeves" in a "Search for Actors" search box

2) Search for "other titles with Keanu" from within the Matrix description

My point is you can do BOTH but you can only search the data in the earlier mentioned fields, so you'd have to make sure all Keanu movies have the word "Keanu" in the description.

Pre-defined searches are pretty straightforward, just create a tep_href() to the advanced_search.php and add the terms you want.

(Do the actual search and see what the outcome of the URL is in your browser)

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Ide like to have a search by studio, by genre, by series, by actors etc etc like that.

Im still very new to php so ill just use predefined searches with the href results from the advanced search.

Thanks

Y'r welcome.

My advise would be to do it properly and create additional table(s) for those 'extras'. That way you can be way more flexible in your searches (= database queries). otherwise you end up with a huge amount of data you'll eventually need to split out again anyway.

One last good tip is that you can use HIDDEN values in your description fields. So you could do this:

The Matrix

This is a great movie...

We somehow fear it's sequel will suck.

<!--actors: keanu reeves, other names etc -->

<!-- director: blah -->

Remember search engines might not like you for using a lot of hidden HTML fields... .:)

<!--you get the idea -->

• 5 months later...

I have some questions on this issue. Suppose I am making selling dvd and would like to do searches on starring actors/ actresses. Suppose I am searching Keanu Reeves. The url for search on site is:

http://www.vesaire.com/advanced_search_res...&dto=&x=78&y=14

Do I have to edit the keywords part for each different actor to search in descriptions?

Cheers Ugur

• 2 weeks later...

Archived