• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

56K and Performance

shahed

I am using a cable connection here, and the page was horrendously slow to download. I actually receved a "server busy" message a couple of times, so the fault may not entirely be your own.

Are you hosting the site from within India? The reason i ask is, I worked as a developer for a large international online auction company for about 18 months, and they had an indian presence. In the early days they hosted the indian site out of india, but switched soon thereafter to hosting it out of the US because they found that download speeds for their Indian customers were much faster from there, and for international visitors to the indian site the difference in speed was staggering.

One thing I did notice about your home page, I did a save page from IE including all of the images etc. Whilst this tends to bloat the code a small amount, the total file size of your page including all images was 285k, which is somewhat larger than it should be.

Maybe you should look at using some of the add-ons for using large and small images if you aren't doing so already, or if you are, take a look at better optimising the images that you are using.

I'm on 768k aDSL in the states. I too got the header rather quickly.. the main body was pretty slow. You should not be taking huge images and making the browser shrink them down. The end user still has to download the huge file first.. which is why it is slow.

I'm on caffeine here :) and I think you be worried.

... it is slooooow here (512 aDSL line besides the coffee)

I think it is ISP related as well, is your database hosted on a different server?

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I'll agree that the images loaded slow. You may want to add the contribution that allows you to have two different sizes of images, so the user only has to download the smaller image to see the page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I agree that the images should be smaller, i use a contribution and it works great, if you have for example 10 images it can be up to 300 kb to download together with html text, ant with 56k isnt nice...easyer to go to another page instead waiting..

I use 1Mbit and page loaded fast.

hello guys thanks.. I agree with it. I think there are 3 reasons for it:

1. I'm on a shared server, even though its a USA server

2. Some of the pictures are too big, I am now using 2 image, one tumbnail and one large images. Those images are on frontpage are old products which I entered before. Its not a easy job to convert 700+ items with tumbnail..

3. I think on frontpage I should only use only one Block in the middle..

check it out now .. let me know..

Shahed

I'm on caffeine here :) and I think you be worried.

... it is slooooow here (512 aDSL line besides the coffee)

I think it is ISP related as well, is your database hosted on a different server?

Database is on same server..

Its not a easy job to convert 700+ items with tumbnail..

It is quite easy actually, I use Macromedia Fireworks to generate thumbnails, it has a script installed to do just this. Point it at a directory containing your "big" images, specify the maximum dimensions you want, tell it to add a suffix or prefix such as thumb_ or _thumb to the filename, choose the optimisation method i.e jpg or gif and the desired settings for either, and click go.

Wait a few seconds for 10 files or ten minutes for hundreds and you are done. Besides Macromedia Fireworks I have seen plenty of other applications that perform this function, even some free open source versions. Have a look around, you will come up with something that suits the way you work.

Its not a easy job to convert 700+ items with tumbnail..

It is quite easy actually, I use Macromedia Fireworks to generate thumbnails, it has a script installed to do just this. Point it at a directory containing your "big" images, specify the maximum dimensions you want, tell it to add a suffix or prefix such as thumb_ or _thumb to the filename, choose the optimisation method i.e jpg or gif and the desired settings for either, and click go.

Wait a few seconds for 10 files or ten minutes for hundreds and you are done. Besides Macromedia Fireworks I have seen plenty of other applications that perform this function, even some free open source versions. Have a look around, you will come up with something that suits the way you work.

I already been doing it, but need to update all products with all images. I think best idea would be using sql query to update all image fields..

after doing all work , I think I would rather move my site to another server..

The new server does appear to be a fair bit faster, but you still have nearly 190k worth of page and images to download which is way too big.

I actually worked extensively on the biggest online auction site in india for over 18 months, and all the research that the company did pointed to the fact that the vast majority of web access done inside of india was done with a 56k modem or slower.

Also, is it really necessary to be showing 22k banner ads for a site the customer is already on?

Other than those couple of issues, the site looks excellent and I wish you every success.

Note: Have you done any statistical analysis as to what percentage of the web browsing public inside india own credit cards? The company i worked for doing the auction site did it, as it turns out it was just a few months later that they sold the site...

Archived