• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

In Layman's English, Please?

Your cart looks and sounds really promising, but the instructions for installing it are anything but simple. I downloaded the zip file for the snapshot version, and extracted it to my hard drive, which kept all the directories intact. What is NOT clear from the instructions is how to upload the files using FTP...do I upload ALL three directories (admin, catalog, and tep-docs) just as they are.....or do I upload only the contents and subdirectories of these three folders?

If I send them as is, I have a catalog directory within the catalog directory, and an admin directory within the admin, etc. I just honestly cannot tell from your Unix-based instructions what I should do with these. I install a lot of scripts, and many of them have installers. But I don't want to try to install this if the directory structure is all out of whack.

Most of us who will install this will NOT be using telnet or unix commands, we'll be using an FTP program to upload files directly. Somebody break this down into simple instructions, please...I need a working cart that will enable my client to add items to the catalog, upload images, etc.:roll:

That is what made sense to me, too, but I wasn't sure about those other files (license, readme, install, etc.) if they needed to be there for some reason. Also, do I need to CHMOD any files to make the cart setup work?

I dont think the documents effect the functionality of the cart but they may make a difference during the install process so I would upload them just incase

Also your catalog/includes/configure.php needs to be set to 705 I believe.

The directions say 706 but this didnt work for me

Also the admin/includes/configure.php need to be set to 706

You've been so helpful! I appreciate being able to ask questions...and just for the record for the team building this script, it would be good to have someone make the instructions clear (hint hint)

Do I have to change anything in the configure.php files? I've had to do that with other scripts, but I don't recognize the traditional places to change things with these.

When you run the install it should make the changes for you. I dont remember having to make any manual changes in that script.

The reason the documentation isnt complete is because 2.2 is still being completed. I think 2.1 has full documentation

check out catalogs/install

this might help you out with the basic install procedure

No problem btw

glad I could help

I'm leaving for the night so good luck. I will check this post tomorrow to make sure your getting everything ok

any more questions just let me know

Got the files uploaded (finally) and went to the install file, that came up just fine. But I am confused about the setup screen. Something isn't going through for me. It keeps coming back to the same screen, but it doesn't tell me what is incorrect. I think it might be the database server. I honestly don't know what to put in there...do I use the domain name? I've tried the IP address, the name server, etc. Can't get past that initial screen, though...

If I remember correctly it does go back to the same screen. but when it goes back it has all you variables already input. what it does is it saves your settings to the correct places then pops back to the same screen. I dont think there is a confirmation to let you know it updated your settings.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong its been a couple of months since I set it up but I think this is normal.

As long as you dont get any errors everything updated ok

btw if your database is on your own server you should be able to just put

localhost

as your db server

you will need to tell it the name of the databse as well as your user name and password for that database but this should work

did you already create the database?

Archived