• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Pull image from another server

vbwebsites

I am trying to figure out the easiest way to make it so "DIR_WS_IMAGES" does not pull from the stores domain so I am able also pull images from another server. I am seeting up OSc for a client that will have 65000 products of which 90% will pull from another server. Where can I gloabally change the DIR_WS_IMAGES so that it will not pull from images or anything.

I am trying to figure out the easiest way to make it so "DIR_WS_IMAGES" does not pull from the stores domain so I am able also pull images from another server. I am seeting up OSc for a client that will have 65000 products of which 90% will pull from another server. Where can I gloabally change the DIR_WS_IMAGES so that it will not pull from images or anything.

You will have to make the changes in two files;

admin/includes/configure.php

and

catalog/includes/configure.php

Good luck in getting them to ID the right image on the remote server!

Just between us, remember there are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Remember, learning is a "do-it-yourself" experience; although, not necessarily a "do-it-BY-yourself" experience.

The quickest way to learn is to forget to BACKUP!

• 2 weeks later...

I have two OSCommerce websites hosted on the same server which should both ideally use the same image repository (duplicating 15,000 images is certainly no fun).

One way I've found to achieve this is to use relative URLs to navigate up above the web root directory and back down into the other website's image directory. For example, if store1 was the original site (with images stored in store1/catalog/images and store2 is the new site, I would edit DIR_WS_IMAGES in store2 to read:

../../store1/catalog/images/

The only problem with this approach is that if store2 uses a different template, any template-specific images become broken (although this probably isn't an issue if you're using BTS or STS which store template images in a separate location).

I'm not sure if this works with external servers, but you could always try pointing DIR_WS_IMAGES to the external domain and see what happens!

Archived