• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SOS call

cherrygupta

Hi all,

Since i am newbee to opensource I have so many queries, can u people help me in digging:

. Can OS commerce be given the look and feel according to our lookout.

. Designing database...Since the database design is not planned yet(our categories and products may be different) and OS sample applicaion may have different schema...how will i integrate it will my database.

. Some additional features can be added to the existing application or not.

. Does it work in the same way on IIS as well as Apache.

. Punch line is that from where to start since i am totally new.I have nothing in hand only design is there how to integrate it.

. When i was starting it , for just having its initial look i just ported directly to the IIS server....but it is showing Virtual directory error.

Are there any other CMS that are easy to implement...being a new bee what should i follow it may be difficult.

. Why OS is used maily for shopping cart applications.

. Is there any online book or .pdf available online availble apart from the makers of OS.

. Is there any good book available in Indian mArket which can help me customize it easily.

I know I have so many questions so bear with me, and belive that u people will help me resolve my queries..

day by day

Thanx..

Hi there

Welcome to the osCommerce community. You have many questions here. You might want to ask a bit less in one post. Try one question at a time and put a proper description in you title.

Anyway here I go.

Hi all,

. Can OS commerce be given the look and feel according to our lookout.

Gee I don't know what your "lookout" is but if you are asking if oscommece's look can be modified. It can. The look can be modified to what ever you imagine. You must however learn how it works to do this.

. Designing database...Since the database design is not planned yet(our categories and products may be different) and OS sample applicaion may have different schema...how will i integrate it will my database.

Oscommerce runs on its own database it is often modified through the addition of contributions. You must use the oscommerce database structure. However the organization of products and categories is up to you.

I was a bit unsure what you were asking here.

. Some additional features can be added to the existing application or not.

Oh yes there are tons of additional features available for free in the contributions

. Punch line is that from where to start since i am totally new.I have nothing in hand only design is there how to integrate it.

You need to learn to make use of the resources available here.

You might start here.

Also learn to search the forums most questions you can think of have already been dealt with here.

For better search results read this.

Are there any other CMS that are easy to implement...being a new bee what should i follow it may be difficult.

You might want to look at Joomla! it is a wonderful open source CMS and it has an add on that does ecommerce.

. Why OS is used maily for shopping cart applications.

Not true there are open source/ Free Software packages for many different types of software.

Wordpress is a OS blogging package.

Linux is a Free operating system

Gimp is a OS

Joomla! and Drupal are OS CMSs

And the is just the tip of the icecube!!!

Is there any online book or .pdf available online availble apart from the makers of OS.

Sure plenty, try using google to find them.

Is there any good book available in Indian mArket which can help me customize it easily.

I don't know I live in Canada. But I am sure the ones you find in google will ship to India.

Hope this helps!!!

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Archived