• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

very basic text editing

beachgurl

Is there a place for me to get very basic information for editing the text on pages such as index, privacy notice, shipping and returns, and so on?

Unfortunately my experience is extremely limited on this but I have maintained a site that was set up for me before. Now that I have gone on to new things, I set up a basic small site with frontpage and uploaded oscomerce to the site. I have been entering product information and images, but quite honestly I do not see how to go about adding or changing those texts. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Please be as simple and clear as possible, you couldn't make it too basic for me right now.

Is there a place for me to get very basic information for editing the text on pages such as index, privacy notice, shipping and returns, and so on?

Unfortunately my experience is extremely limited on this but I have maintained a site that was set up for me before. Now that I have gone on to new things, I set up a basic small site with frontpage and uploaded oscomerce to the site. I have been entering product information and images, but quite honestly I do not see how to go about adding or changing those texts. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Please be as simple and clear as possible, you couldn't make it too basic for me right now.

I'll give you an example on how to change the text on your index page assuming you are making a site in english.

Open the file includes/languages/english/index.php

Look for the code

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'what ever the text is on your index page');

First backup this file by saving a copy of the file called index_old.php in case you mess up.

Then simply change the sample text to what ever you want but make sure you still have the two apostrophes or you will get an error. Then upload the modified file and the text you have added will appear on your home page.

The same procedure will work for the shipping, privacy, contact etc pages.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

OK, that is the sort of thing I was expecting. That would be like what I have done previously in Dreamweaver on a previously set up site, to post updates and such.

Unfortunately, I need even more basic help. Like this. How do I get to that file? If I could get to it, and have it up on the screen, I think I'd be half way there! It's so frustrating to know this is so simple, yet I can't seem to get to it.

Thanks for everything you told me.

OK, that is the sort of thing I was expecting. That would be like what I have done previously in Dreamweaver on a previously set up site, to post updates and such.

Unfortunately, I need even more basic help. Like this. How do I get to that file? If I could get to it, and have it up on the screen, I think I'd be half way there! It's so frustrating to know this is so simple, yet I can't seem to get to it.

:blink: Welcome... I know almost nothing about this as well, but I did find out how to find what you are looking for. Go to.... "http://your_sights_URL_goes_here/catalog/admin" and then look on the bottom right there, you will see Tools. Once that opens, look for Define Languages on the left in the directory. If you are working English, double click "english.php" and a simple online editor will appear. Make a small change and choose save. (Like I changed "default" to "DEFAULT" for practice.) The changes will upload. Now try refreshing (hit F5) on your websites main page. Do you see the change you made?

My favorite place to read first for answers has been the Knowledge Base, it's located at http://www.oscommerce.info/

Look in the upper left corner of the Knowledge Base and open the osCommerce directory to find info on almost everything in this package, well written I might add.

Good Luck, Lisle

Woops, I noticed I made a mistake and told you to look at "english.php" when I actually should have said "index.php". Everything else is correct if you can follow what I said... bfn

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I edited the text in the index.php, shipping.php, privacy.php etc and uploaded the modified file. However, the text remained the same as orginial. No changes were reflected on the website. May I know whats wrong with my steps? I have removed the default text in the file, however they are still reflected in the website.

Please advice.

Thank you

I'll give you an example on how to change the text on your index page assuming you are making a site in english.

Open the file includes/languages/english/index.php

Look for the code

First backup this file by saving a copy of the file called index_old.php in case you mess up.

Then simply change the sample text to what ever you want but make sure you still have the two apostrophes or you will get an error. Then upload the modified file and the text you have added will appear on your home page.

The same procedure will work for the shipping, privacy, contact etc pages.

Hi everyone ,

I need some help. I edited the Currency in the administration section, i set euro as default and removed te other currencys as i was thinking i would not need them, i then tried setting the value of the Euro currency and i tought i had everything working fine but when i returned to viewing my cart the prices are missing!?

May I know whats wrong with my steps?

Please advice.

Thank you

P.s happy new year everyone :)

Hi there beachgurl and Lisle,

Ok don't edit these files on the server via the tools section especially with the file manger built in. The file manager is very buggy. Download your site and work with it on your computer.

Lisle if you are using the admin panel to edit php files I'd stop I've never heard anyone speak well of it.

Use a ftp program to do this and make a backup.

Then once you have made changes you can ftp them over your old files and you have a backup you can use in case you messed up.

To find the file I was talking about on my first response you would need to look:

(path to catalog here)/includes/languages/english/index.php

Then look for:

Make sense?

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Thank you ddp... what you explained made sense and I will certainly handle it that way in the future. Thanks for taking the time to explain it clearly. (Sincere apologies beachgurl, hope I didn't set you adrift.)

So I assume this is also the way to "back-up" my entire site, as when I used the admin tool for back-up I realized it was only backing up the data, not the structure.

Or can you point me to where I can find something to read on backing up all my work, not just the database?

A very appreciative newbie, Lisle

Thank you ddp... what you explained made sense and I will certainly handle it that way in the future. Thanks for taking the time to explain it clearly. (Sincere apologies beachgurl, hope I didn't set you adrift.)

So I assume this is also the way to "back-up" my entire site, as when I used the admin tool for back-up I realized it was only backing up the data, not the structure.

Or can you point me to where I can find something to read on backing up all my work, not just the database?

A very appreciative newbie, Lisle

Complete backup:

To backup the files simply ftp them to your computer.

I keep all these backups in dated folders so I could revert back to any previous version of the site if I wish.

Backu as you go:

Then as I go through making a change I save a renamed backup version of each file that is changed.

For instance if I was changing the index.php file I would first save the file as index_old.php so if I muck it up I can always delete the mucked up file and rename index_old.php to index.php and the file is back where it started.

Then I can take my time to figure out where my problem was.

If you did not backup your files you might need to install another version on osc on your server in a different folder and copy the files you need from the fresh install.

Hope this helps.

You did do a backup? eh?

Archived