• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Way to Collect Credit Card Data and Enter manually?

mamma_mia

I used to have a merchant account that was not online so I need a way to collect orders quickly and get orders out quickly because I have a business. Oscommerce is great to look at but the instructions in Paypal on how to setup the buttons are complex. At this point it will be another year before this website is even functioning. Is there a way to find out if I can collect the credit card data and enter the orders manually either into a virtual terminal? Does Paypal allow this? And where in Oscommerce documentation is there a mention of this? When I go to admin/modules there is no mention of this. It's very odd to be own a pretty looking website that is completely useless at collecting orders, that's the entire purpose here.

For the past year I have relied on the phone for customers to call me and I entered that into a virtual terminal through authorize.net because no programmer is going to touch a site this small. Should I just go back to that? If so how can I get oscommerce to email me the orders or where I can view them?

Sorry if I'm not interested in programming but I can't run a business and do that at the same time. I wonder if anyone else here is in the same boat.

Thank you.

I used to have a merchant account that was not online so I need a way to collect orders quickly and get orders out quickly because I have a business. Oscommerce is great to look at but the instructions in Paypal on how to setup the buttons are complex. At this point it will be another year before this website is even functioning. Is there a way to find out if I can collect the credit card data and enter the orders manually either into a virtual terminal? Does Paypal allow this? And where in Oscommerce documentation is there a mention of this? When I go to admin/modules there is no mention of this. It's very odd to be own a pretty looking website that is completely useless at collecting orders, that's the entire purpose here.

For the past year I have relied on the phone for customers to call me and I entered that into a virtual terminal through authorize.net because no programmer is going to touch a site this small. Should I just go back to that? If so how can I get oscommerce to email me the orders or where I can view them?

Sorry if I'm not interested in programming but I can't run a business and do that at the same time. I wonder if anyone else here is in the same boat.

Thank you.

Hi,

I don’t think you can enter credit card data into PayPal manually. The only thing that I have seen from PayPal control panel is to send an invoice to a customer.

To setup osCommerce to use the default PayPal module is straight forward and all you need is your email address.

1, go to your admin section of your shop

2, click on modules

3, click on PayPal from the list

If PayPal isn’t already installed click on the install button on the right hand side

4, Once installed click the edit button that’s on the right hand side.

5, Select true from options to allow PayPal payments.

6, Put your email address that’s used to accept PayPal payments the box where requested.

Job done... though you may need to select your preferred payment currency.

I'd advise on installing the PayPal IPN contribution module. This is because the default module sometimes record the details of the item sold to PayPal. Also if the customer exits after he/she has paid the item sold won’t be recorded in OsCommerce.

I hope this is of some help to you?

PayPal does offer a "Virtual Terminal" if you have a Business or better account with them, all you have to do is enable the 'Credit Card' module. You will also have to install a 'CVV' contribution and I would suggest the 'Remove CC Number' and 'Remove CVV Number' contributions.

Here are the basics of how it works:

Customer places order and selects 'Credit Card'

Customer enters there CC Number, CVV Number and Expiration Date

You get the Extra Info email with middle of the CC Number

The Admin > Order will have the two other parts of the CC Number, the Card Type and the CVV Number

You Log into your Virtual Terminal, fill in the information and process it.

Once the CC is approved you then need to remove the CC and CVV info from your database

One nice thing about the Virtual Terminal is when the customer gets there CC Bill, it shows your name and not PayPals.

Since I started using it, I get 3 to 5 CC sales per day even though I also offer PayPal and Check/Money Order payment options. Some people don't like PayPal and others don't like the wait with Checks.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

PayPal does offer a "Virtual Terminal" if you have a Business or better account with them, all you have to do is enable the 'Credit Card' module. You will also have to install a 'CVV' contribution and I would suggest the 'Remove CC Number' and 'Remove CVV Number' contributions.

Here are the basics of how it works:

Customer places order and selects 'Credit Card'

Customer enters there CC Number, CVV Number and Expiration Date

You get the Extra Info email with middle of the CC Number

The Admin > Order will have the two other parts of the CC Number, the Card Type and the CVV Number

You Log into your Virtual Terminal, fill in the information and process it.

Once the CC is approved you then need to remove the CC and CVV info from your database

One nice thing about the Virtual Terminal is when the customer gets there CC Bill, it shows your name and not PayPals.

Since I started using it, I get 3 to 5 CC sales per day even though I also offer PayPal and Check/Money Order payment options. Some people don't like PayPal and others don't like the wait with Checks.

Doing it that way, if any of those customers tries to do a chargeback , you will have no ground to contest it.

So basically anyone can ordering from you can wait till they have the products in hand, then do a chargback. Now they have gotten the products for free and you can do nothing.

Aswell as that your paypal account might be frozen, due to missuse.

The bad and the good. When I had my own merchant account under the business name I had very few chargebacks and was able to dispute them because I had delivery confirmation with signature via UPS. Paypal has hackers and other issues and one year my bank account was drained of thousands by a hacker and Paypal took a month to respond to me. (instead I went through my bank)

On the other hand not dealing with my own merchant account again would be nice.

If the paypal account is a personal one, do you mean to say I could be getting orders through Paypal now? Don't I have to setup everything on the Paypal side as well? And how do I test the cart to see if it's working properly? For now I show one order but did not receive the order details. At this point convenience for my sake is what I need, I don't have to worry about trust on my customers end because I've been around a long time.

Thanks.

The bad and the good. When I had my own merchant account under the business name I had very few chargebacks and was able to dispute them because I had delivery confirmation with signature via UPS. Paypal has hackers and other issues and one year my bank account was drained of thousands by a hacker and Paypal took a month to respond to me. (instead I went through my bank)

On the other hand not dealing with my own merchant account again would be nice.

If the paypal account is a personal one, do you mean to say I could be getting orders through Paypal now? Don't I have to setup everything on the Paypal side as well? And how do I test the cart to see if it's working properly? For now I show one order but did not receive the order details. At this point convenience for my sake is what I need, I don't have to worry about trust on my customers end because I've been around a long time.

Thanks.

1. If you have PayPal account, you can do as previously instructed - in your admin go to modules>payment , then install the one marked paypal , incert your paypal email address and you are good to go.

(Att also log into your paypal account and set auto return to on)

2. What i did state in my previous post was not about chargebacks in relations to using PayPal, but about missusing the virtual terminal function.

Why a chargeback would be uncontestable in such a case is because the customer has not inputet and verified the card info him/herself aswell as that avs matching can not occure since YOU are the one who is charging the credit card.

Why your PayPal account and any funds in it can be frozen , is because your are violating the tos agreemnt for the use of the Virtual Terminal.

Archived