• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Altering the sign up page

acicorp

:?: How difficult would it be to do these two alterations with little or no experience in programming?

1) On the sign up for an account page, I would like to have another form field under the "Email" that reads "Re-enter Email address" far too often do people enter in the incorrect email address.

2) Asking for someone's Birth Day may be too intrusive so I would like to make that optional.

I don't have any experience in programming but I can go and add or alter existing text or code if I know what the procedure is. If you can help, I would be most grateful.

Sincerely,

Rick

:?: How difficult would it be to do these two alterations with little or no experience in programming?

1) On the sign up for an account page, I would like to have another form field under the "Email" that reads "Re-enter Email address" far too often do people enter in the incorrect email address.

Don't know the answer to this one off hand. But I would look at the .php page where this stuff is entered, isolate the "Email" field and then copy it right below.

The tricky part to this if you can't program is that merely having the field a 2nd time isn't enough. You'll need a javascript function to compare the values of the two fields to make sure they are the same. However, there is probably code very similar to what you want for this in the javascript that compares the two password fields.

Reading this, I think I made it sound scarier than it is. Relax and have faith in your ability to do it. Take it slowly and you'll be able to figure it out. And if that fails, I'll try to carve about a bit more time to give you a more detailed answer.

2) Asking for someone's Birth Day may be too intrusive so I would like to make that optional.

Your answer lies here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24296

Steven

:( Steven,

You know you drive a hard bargain but ok, the second child is yours but you have to take the mom too. Lots to go around in San Diego....

I tried the link you suggested and even completed their instructions, but the word "required" still remains next to the field. I changed the value to false, so I figured that would take care of the mandatory thing, guess not.

BTW, where are you located?

Keep in touch,

StormyWeathers

aka Rick

Rick,

Disclaimer -- I'm a newbie to osC but not to web & systems programming. I'm reasonably sure we're on the right track here.

For the moment, ignore the fact that it says required and test to see if you can submit that form without that value. It should work. By my reading of the code, the field being required is handled in one place (i.e., the place you changed it) and the text saying it is required is handled elsewhere, in this case catalogincludeslanguagesenglish.php.

It is in that file. Find it yourself. Please don't think I'm being a d*%k. If you find it yourself, you'll have a "Eureka!" moment when you see how this stuff works. I promise it'll help you put this stuff together better. (And send me a private message if ya can't, I'll point you to it).

Steven

(BTW - I'm in NJ)

Archived