• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help for total newbie

mhfein

Hi, I have oscommerce installed, but I don't understand how to set up my html pages. Is this the box thing? How do I start to set up my html pages that will appear on the web --the ones that will have add to cart buttons for my products? So dumb, I know, but I just don't see it. Any help VERY MUCH appreciated, just a pointer to the right place will do. I have read the documentation.pdf, but it just launches into talking about boxes, and doesn't tell me what files to open and edit. I know html and php and mysql, so I can do it if I just knew where to start. Thanks!

MHFein

Oscommerce is written in PHP code it is not html. Your web browser read the php coding and translates it into html.

If you installed your catalog in the root of your website you do not need a html index page but if you installed your catalog in a folder on your web site you will need to make your own index.html page pointing that index page to your catalog.

If you look up to the right and on the nav bar look under Network and then knowledge Base you will get some help on making changes to your catalog.

Good Luck!

Hi, I have oscommerce installed, but I don't understand how to set up my html pages. Is this the box thing? How do I start to set up my html pages that will appear on the web --the ones that will have add to cart buttons for my products? So dumb, I know, but I just don't see it. Any help VERY MUCH appreciated, just a pointer to the right place will do. I have read the documentation.pdf, but it just launches into talking about boxes, and doesn't tell me what files to open and edit. I know html and php and mysql, so I can do it if I just knew where to start. Thanks!

MHFein

Oscommerce is written in PHP code it is not html. Your web browser read the php coding and translates it into html.

actually it is the webserver that parses the phpcode and spits out normal html, your browser just reeds html (else we would have some serious security issues if you could read the phpcode)

Thanks so much. I installed oscommerce in a folder called catalog under the root. Are you saying that the index page in that folder is my "store" page?? That it has all my products? Oh my goodness, look at that!

Thanks a million!

MH

If you installed your catalog in the root of your website you do not need a html index page but if you installed your catalog in a folder on your web site you will need to make your own index.html page pointing that index page to your catalog.

If you look up to the right and on the nav bar look under Network and then knowledge Base you will get some help on making changes to your catalog.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much. I installed oscommerce in a folder called catalog under the root. Are you saying that the index page in that folder is my "store" page?? That it has all my products? Oh my goodness, look at that!

Thanks a million!

MH

Yuppers! index.php in the catalog folder!

Archived