• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is there any kind of editers for the main page index.php file?

kdogg

I'm new to this OS Commerce stuff and this is the first time I've done anything with any kinda of php.

I have my site setup the way I want it I for now but I cant figure out how to edit the stuff I want into the main page.

If i try to put much more then a paragraph of words, I get errors.

Is there anything like any type of index.php editor I can use?

first you edit the page here

includes/languages/english/index.php

but you cannot use the apostrophe unless you cancel it out. Your best off to try to type your text with them.

Yeah i know what file to edit, I even know which line to edit but I dont know PHP well enough to make it do what I want to do.

I just want an introduction to our business with some pictures and I have no idea about how you get the pictures where you want them or the text where you want it.

There isnt any kinda of editing software that I can use to setup my index.php?

Yeah i know what file to edit, I even know which line to edit but I dont know PHP well enough to make it do what I want to do.

I just want an introduction to our business with some pictures and I have no idea about how you get the pictures where you want them or the text where you want it.

There isnt any kinda of editing software that I can use to setup my index.php?

A very brief explanation of the editing, not so hard once you understand some basics... in the original catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php it starts like this :

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them ...

Do not touch the define('TEXT_MAIN',. Your text needs to be inside the single quote with 'This... Where you see the "<b>" it puts the following text in bold type and has to have an ending symbol "</b" as you see in the text after the word billed, which means that all between those two symbols will be bold. Then you will see the symbols "<br><br>" which are used to make paragraphs, so at the end of a sentence when you add these the next line will start a new paragraph with a space between it and the first one. You will notice that all is typed together with no apparent paragraphs, the symbols indicating what the text should do.

Then you see the part with the image that is called 'default/1.gif'. Try replacing it with the name of an image you have uploaded to your images directory and look at how it is shown on your home page.

That will get you started!

If you want to change the look of the home page of your site, I would recommend that you install a contribution called "Define Mainpage". This will allow you to put whatever you want on the home page of the site, while still keeping the "template" of the site in place.

Archived