• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

integrate with ordering systems

cmcp

Hey OsCommunity.

I plan on getting my teeth into OsCommerce in the new year.

I'm down to a couple of distros, so just weighing up the fine details.

What sort of work would be involved to generate pipe delimited files of orders?

My stock management system has a web module which I'm able to FTP text files in the following format:

textfile.gif

I have full documentation for the web module and which files accept with formats of data with ranges and values etc etc. (You can see the first part is name, address etc, with the end part product numbers, quantities, etc)

Does OsCommerce export files in any format as it is?

How much work would be involved to set up such modules?

The project scope will probably be running over $xxxx so time on developers will no doubt be possible.

As is, osC does not export, but there are contributions available which plug in and will do this for you. Exporting orders is straight forward to do. Most order export tools have most of this in place and need only be modified to meet your spcific needs. I would not worry about the exporting too much as it is not a complex thing to do.

cheers,

Peter M

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Thanks for your time Cannuck.

This is good news, although there will still be a lot of work involved for me!

In the end the module will require a VB script to generate the text files. The text files filename must increment with each generation (maybe even 1 text file per order) (eg EXP_001, EXP_002, EXP_003 etc). The must be generated one after the other, so when the latest has been generated and downloaded, it is not downloaded again. I'll have a look around for an export module with this built in already!

I'm looking forward to learning lots through the community, in turn passing on any knowledge I have and gain.

You do not need VB for that. PHP will do that just as easy if not more so. Setting it up as a CRON and emailing it to yourself as an attachment will do all of that in an automated way. In terms of looking for orders which have not been grabbed before, my suggestion is to use the otfrt statuses to control this:

initial order -- pending status

been read into the txt file -- change status to processing

mailed out -- set to delivered status

All of this can e automated so that it does not even need any human intervention other then the setting up of the initial scripts.

cheers

Peter M

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

• 6 months later...

Hello again osCommerce!

Funding for said project fell through (hence my absence), we're now looking at high $xxx for the entire site development, including this text file export module to input the orders into our stock fulfillment system.

What is the best route to finding a trustworthy developer to help?

Are there a list or recommended osc developers somewhere on oscommerce.com? Should I hit Elance with a detailed spec?

Can anyone on here recommend anyone to help?

Archived