• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My first osc shop

engrsapper42

I do not agree with your use of images on your index page especially making all of your text into images. This makes it hard for the search engines to read the content on your index page. Also I would reorder your infoboxes. I do believe that the categories infobox is more important then the fact that you offer paypal as a payment gateway. In my opinion your logo does not convey what you are selling and does not look very professional. Finally there is a huge gap between your last infobox (DJ equipment) and the specials infobox. I would consider fixing that.

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

there are too many empty spaces on the home page especially in the header area.... speaking of which your header looks like the layout of commonly used templates - is the whole site template based?

everything else seems too close to the columnn left in product info and basically you have a general all round alignment problem.

i agree with the images especially flash in the home page - not a good idea.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will work on them one thing at a time. When I started this page in late October, I had never heard of php. Slowly I am learning to work with it.

I do not agree with your use of images on your index page especially making all of your text into images. This makes it hard for the search engines to read the content on your index page.

I dont know how to make text in different colors or with shadows in php. I can type the text on English/index.php, but it comes out in plain black letters.

I do believe that the categories infobox is more important then the fact that you offer paypal as a payment gateway.

I tried to position the logo in the lower left column, but everywhere I put it on the code, it came out in that spot where its at.

In my opinion your logo does not convey what you are selling and does not look very professional.

I worked very hard on that logo :'( . Just kidding. I got the logo off a logo template cd and I modified it a bit. How would you suggest I make it better. I will take any suggestions.

speaking of which your header looks like the layout of commonly used templates - is the whole site template based?

It is template based. I havent messed with the layout cause I dont know a whole lot about php yet and dont feel comfortable trying to change it yet.

everything else seems too close to the columnn left in product info and basically you have a general all round alignment problem.

I noticed that my self but I dont know how to adjust that.

Thank you for your helpfull suggetions. There are a lot of things I want to do with the site but I am slowly learning how to do them. I appreciate any more suggestions anyone might have.

I made some of the changes that were suggested.

Please let me know if im moving in the right direction. I hope there is improvement.

In the next Month or so, I plan on making adjustments to the overall color scheme.

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thank you

Just a follow up on my post...

i guess you'll have to work slowly as you have no php experience. A template isn't the best way to go forward if you want to learn a little php - maybe you should scrap it and use a download of stock oscommerce and work your way up from there.

this is the first template i have seen that uses css buttons (and that with active code) - so that made a pleasant change.

Good Luck

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Just a follow up on my post...

i guess you'll have to work slowly as you have no php experience. A template isn't the best way to go forward if you want to learn a little php - maybe you should scrap it and use a download of stock oscommerce and work your way up from there.

this is the first template i have seen that uses css buttons (and that with active code) - so that made a pleasant change.

Good Luck

Thats a good idea. I have a test site that I've been using the template I currently have to try to make changes, but I can only make minor changes. I should be doing what you are suggesting and I will start working on that.

Thank you

If anyone else has any more suggestions, or comments on my site, it will be very helpfull.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I did a little work with the design, and changed some colors around. I hope its for the better.

Opinions and suggestions very welcomed.

Thanks

I can see you did alot of work with your site, and i think its well put together, but my two sense worth is this

I think the box box on top on the header with Home,new products and so on needs to be on the left side where the others are, it just doesn't fit in there on the top like that, you can mak eit so theres boxes on both sides or all on one, or even a long bar across the top with the buttons on it like where whats new for jan is.. it just stands out and it doesn't look right.

But the colours are beautiful and your lay out is super

thanks

blessings

kalli

I can see you did alot of work with your site, and i think its well put together, but my two sense worth is this

I think the box box on top on the header with Home,new products and so on needs to be on the left side where the others are, it just doesn't fit in there on the top like that, you can mak eit so theres boxes on both sides or all on one, or even a long bar across the top with the buttons on it like where whats new for jan is.. it just stands out and it doesn't look right.

But the colours are beautiful and your lay out is super

thanks

blessings

kalli

Thanks Kalli. I see what you mean and im going to try to make it a long bar across. Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for the encouraging comments.

Luis

The red partitions are a complete turn off! The colour needs to be changed to a more friendly one that complements the site stylesheet. Why do your pages take ages to open?

CHOOCH

The red partitions are a complete turn off! The colour needs to be changed to a more friendly one that complements the site stylesheet. Why do your pages take ages to open?

Thanks for the feedback. I got rid of the red and I hope its looking better. I dont know why its loading slow. It started doing that recently. I dont know what could be causing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You should think in larger fotos in the product info page (eventualy put more fotos to equilibrate it)

The diference between buttons (some text based CSS and others fotos y think)

You still have work ...but you are in the right direction.

And, yes, lissen the opinions listed in your/this thread.

I too have started with php in november but you can do better than me. :)

good luck!

My

osCommerce site is in my profile.

My tools will have to be: Photoshop, Flash, Dreamwaver, WS_FTP, XAMPP...

Using the best to create the best!

My contributions: Site Preload, others coming soon..

I want to thank everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have learned so much in the past few months and I couldnt have done it without this community.

You should think in larger fotos in the product info page (eventualy put more fotos to equilibrate it)
I see what you mean about the small foto. I will work on that.

Thank you

Page renders a little slow. My guess is that either too many images or too many db queries.

If anyone has any suggestion on what I can do to help speed up the load time, please let me know.

Think site looks fine, though i would add more content on pages.

Thank you, please elaborate on more content.

• 5 months later...

Archived