• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

for "digital download" stores - need MORE than downloadcontroller!

midwestb

At this point, the downloadcontroller contribution is a great start at eliminating the shortcomings of osC. however...one step up would be this:

The link that we all now currently use to play any sample audio files is probably (most often) the "webpage link." in each individual product's description. Then, we change the default text from something like "view this product's webpage" to "to hear a sample click here."

That's all fine and dandy, but how hard would it be to do these few things? (I don't know, I am actually asking! haha.)....

* When you browse by category, it will display several products on one page, in a table. Could we add a column that just has a PLAY link to the "webpage" (sample mp3) that we listed earlier? Or better yet, could we make that play button automatically be a .m3u file, with the "webpage" (sample mp3) link inserted into it automatically - that way it streams, and it opens up DEFINITELY in another program - like windows media player.

* an Admin-side addition that would ease our pain in listing downloadable files.

-Eliminate the need to add attributes to link to a downloadable file.

-A way to "browse" to the downloadable file in the download directory, god know how many times I've gotten a filename wrong and received emails because the file was missing after a customer paid for it!

-An easier way to add products - as a lot of times we can probably do 10 at once (after we FTP upload the files)...because normally we probably only fill in a few key categories (name, price, artist/(manufacturer), link to sample, link to actual download, SHORT description).

Well I guess that's a start, but so far both me and the other guys who admin the site, as well as some customers, have pointed these things out....

I've had some C++ programming a few years back, but this stuff is obviously way over my head - but I urge somebody to take it on! I'd be happy to help where I can!

At this point, the downloadcontroller contribution is a great start at eliminating the shortcomings of osC. however...one step up would be this:

The link that we all now currently use to play any sample audio files is probably (most often) the "webpage link." in each individual product's description. Then, we change the default text from something like "view this product's webpage" to "to hear a sample click here."

That's all fine and dandy, but how hard would it be to do these few things? (I don't know, I am actually asking! haha.)....

* When you browse by category, it will display several products on one page, in a table. Could we add a column that just has a PLAY link to the "webpage" (sample mp3) that we listed earlier? Or better yet, could we make that play button automatically be a .m3u file, with the "webpage" (sample mp3) link inserted into it automatically - that way it streams, and it opens up DEFINITELY in another program - like windows media player.

* an Admin-side addition that would ease our pain in listing downloadable files.

-Eliminate the need to add attributes to link to a downloadable file.

-A way to "browse" to the downloadable file in the download directory, god know how many times I've gotten a filename wrong and received emails because the file was missing after a customer paid for it!

-An easier way to add products - as a lot of times we can probably do 10 at once (after we FTP upload the files)...because normally we probably only fill in a few key categories (name, price, artist/(manufacturer), link to sample, link to actual download, SHORT description).

Well I guess that's a start, but so far both me and the other guys who admin the site, as well as some customers, have pointed these things out....

I've had some C++ programming a few years back, but this stuff is obviously way over my head - but I urge somebody to take it on! I'd be happy to help where I can!

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...search,download

that will solve your problem with missing files

you should install the oscplayer 2.0 it has alot of what you want

is this what you mean by osc player:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...,all/search,mp3

?

if so, the version 2.0 is only a screenshot of the player - it says to check out his website for the package, but the website is down... :( - this is what made me make this post actually, haha.

if this ISNT the osc-player that you are describing, can you link me?

thanks

When you browse by category, it will display several products on one page, in a table. Could we add a column that just has a PLAY link to the "webpage" (sample mp3) that we listed earlier? Or better yet, could we make that play button automatically be a .m3u file, with the "webpage" (sample mp3) link inserted into it automatically - that way it streams, and it opens up DEFINITELY in another program - like windows media player.

you can do this by modifying your catalog quite easy.

the oscplayer v2.0 site is down. i can send you the contribution via email