• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problems with default language

jhellen

I have a problem with setting finnish as default language on the site. I have now renamed /finnish/ to /english/ and finnish.php to english.php and it works almost perfectly but I wouldn't like to keep it like that.

I had everything working just fine yesterday. I got this problem after trying to fix the problems I got from last time trying to change the default language. :blink:

I also tried to comment out this in application_top.php

// $lng->get_browser_language();

...but that didn't help either.

I had to remove the admin english completely to get my admin in finnish. Otherwise it would just use english no matter what I did.

What could I do to get my finnish page back without this horrible renaming workaround? :huh:

Maybe this will help you,

I just changed the code at file: .../includes/application_top.php

At line +/- 274

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['language']) && tep_not_null($HTTP_GET_VARS['language'])) {
  $lng->set_language($HTTP_GET_VARS['language']);
} else {
  $lng->get_browser_language();
}

to:

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['language']) && tep_not_null($HTTP_GET_VARS['language'])) {
} else {
	$lng->set_language(DEFAULT_LANGUAGE);
}

Hope this help you :)

At line +/- 274

} else {
}

to:

} else {
}

thank u! i'll try that.. :]

-navit

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You will be in my prayers tonight :) I ahve been trying for a couple of days now to have spanish as default without erasing english. That really fixed my problem.

Thank you for the great post. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

At line +/- 274

} else {
}

to:

} else {
}

Hello, you have helped me solving half of the problem.. my situation is that i have an english browser, italian default language.. for me italian is ok but.. if a french person comes in my ecommerce, suppose with english browser.. he'll see website in english even if I have french language installed! he may select french for hte page in which he is but on every click, the language will be changed back to default one.. i need to keep the language selected.. do you know how to solve this problem?

Edited by Marco82

• 2 months later...
Hello, you have helped me solving half of the problem.. my situation is that i have an english browser, italian default language.. for me italian is ok but.. if a french person comes in my ecommerce, suppose with english browser.. he'll see website in english even if I have french language installed! he may select french for hte page in which he is but on every click, the language will be changed back to default one.. i need to keep the language selected.. do you know how to solve this problem?

Did you ever find the solution to this problem, I am having the same issues - the language which is not default only changes for that specific page i.e.

Spanish person has english browser ---- default language is english ---- Spanish person changes to Spanish ---Language now = Spanish ----Changes the page - reverts back to English... any help....