• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

IM customer?

wizardsandwars

Yesterday, I was watching a customer through the 'who's online' feature, and I could tell that the guy was confused about something. He kept clicking from 'checkout' to 'policies and procedures'. I emailed him, but I guess he got frustrated and logged off the internet before he got my mail. He responded the next day, and I was able to help him.

My question is, does anyone know a way to sort of 'instant message' a customer with just their IP address? Maybe an open source POPUP window that establishes an instant message session with the customer.

I've heard of 'netsend' but I think it only works in an intranet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Yesterday, I was watching a customer through the 'who's online' feature, and I could tell that the guy was confused about something. He kept clicking from 'checkout' to 'policies and procedures'. I emailed him, but I guess he got frustrated and logged off the internet before he got my mail. He responded the next day, and I was able to help him.

My question is, does anyone know a way to sort of 'instant message' a customer with just their IP address? Maybe an open source POPUP window that establishes an instant message session with the customer.

I've heard of 'netsend' but I think it only works in an intranet.

I don't think Windows comes with any of them enabled anymore. They have generic windows services utilities in some of the Release Packs (or whatever MS calls them these days).

Some of the "dating" websites (nerve.com comes to mind) have "instant messaging" built into the pages for browsing personals. Some of the "live help" scripts feature advanced versions that include operator-initiate sessions. I remember these in some of the programs that had been discussed here, and they're not THAT expensive. I haven't been tempted to spend the money yet.

And then, you can always use the HTML-embed features of Yahoo Messenger and it's ilk.. it works, if not elegantly so.

Not sure if that's what you were asking..

Another post was talking about Live Help programs.. and I think they listed a couple of free ones.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...3785&highlight=

I use PHP Live http://www.phplivesupport.com/

They have several purchase options and even a hosted option.

You can initiate a chat with PHP Live, and I'm sure others as well, but you are still going to get people that simply ignore you ;)

-caz

Yes, a IM or some sort of messaging feature from the whos_online

would be quite helpful.

I've seen a lot of people that might be having problems and I usually

would love to send them a message of some type to help out. But,

they're usually unregistered users.

And, at times, even for registered users -- sending e-mail to them

doesn't quite help them right away if they check that e-mail about 5 hrs later. :(

---

As far as it goes ... maybe it can be done such that ...

From whos_online, when a certain user is selected, there's an option

to IM them. Sending a IM writes into the database with the OSCid (?).

Pops up two windows - 1 for the admin (showing the user's IP and name if

available).

Another window for the user. This would actually have to go into includes/header.php of the catalog. Perhaps, it would check for IMs

once every 30 seconds or some other selected interval ... And the window

that pops up for the user/admin -- there can be autorefresh or manual

'refresh' button.

Of course, the two windows would have a INPUT field. To converse back

and forth.

Not totally LIVE. But, faster than e-mail. :)

Archived