• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Prices don't show VAT unless user is logged in... doh

stampscrap

Hi all

I've just added VAT to my site after our business plan changed :-" My VAT calculation is working (EU, rest-of-the-world, VAT on shipping, etc).

I have one problem though and I hope someone here has a good idea how to solve it...

If a visitor is logged into their account, the site shows gross prices (including VAT) correctly. However, if the visitor is not logged into the site (an anonymous visitor), the net prices are displayed (without VAT) :(

I need to display gross prices even if the visitor isn't logged into their account. I don't want a visitor to think that I'm 20% cheaper than reality and then be disappointed.

I'd really appreciate if anyone has a pointer for me on this one.

And thanks for reading my first post :rolleyes:

Heidi

Hi all

I've just added VAT to my site after our business plan changed :-" My VAT calculation is working (EU, rest-of-the-world, VAT on shipping, etc).

I have one problem though and I hope someone here has a good idea how to solve it...

If a visitor is logged into their account, the site shows gross prices (including VAT) correctly. However, if the visitor is not logged into the site (an anonymous visitor), the net prices are displayed (without VAT) :(

I need to display gross prices even if the visitor isn't logged into their account. I don't want a visitor to think that I'm 20% cheaper than reality and then be disappointed.

I'd really appreciate if anyone has a pointer for me on this one.

And thanks for reading my first post :rolleyes:

Heidi

Heidi,

In your control panel under Configuration, My Store, set to true Show Prices with Tax. When a visitor comes and is not logged in all prices will be shown with VAT. Once logged in the prices will be shown with Vat only if his address is in the zone for VAT, and without VAT for the others. For example you have VAT set up for only European customers and none for the rest of the world... all anonymous visitors see Vat included prices. Someone sets up an account and his address is let's say Germany... as soon as he logs in the prices are still with VAT. Then someone sets up an account and his address is Australia. Before he logs in the prices are VAT included but once logged in he see everything without VAT.

On the bills you will then see the European customers with VAT (it shows what was included as VAT and not a subtotal plus VAT) and the rest of the world has no tax mention.

To test it, set to true then set up 2 accounts for yourself : 1 in the VAT zone and 1 outside (you can set up prior to that for yourself an email on Yahoo or MSN or another free mail service so you will have a valid mail address to receive the welcome mail and be able to have 2 different login accounts.

Heidi,

In your control panel under Configuration, My Store, set to true Show Prices with Tax. When a visitor comes and is not logged in all prices will be shown with VAT. Once logged in the prices will be shown with Vat only if his address is in the zone for VAT, and without VAT for the others. For example you have VAT set up for only European customers and none for the rest of the world... all anonymous visitors see Vat included prices. Someone sets up an account and his address is let's say Germany... as soon as he logs in the prices are still with VAT. Then someone sets up an account and his address is Australia. Before he logs in the prices are VAT included but once logged in he see everything without VAT.

On the bills you will then see the European customers with VAT (it shows what was included as VAT and not a subtotal plus VAT) and the rest of the world has no tax mention.

To test it, set to true then set up 2 accounts for yourself : 1 in the VAT zone and 1 outside (you can set up prior to that for yourself an email on Yahoo or MSN or another free mail service so you will have a valid mail address to receive the welcome mail and be able to have 2 different login accounts.

Hi Barbara

Thanks for your time. Unfortunately (for me) I had already tried what you suggested... sorry I wasn't clearer in my original post. My "Display Prices with tax" was set to true, plus I had created a few test accounts both within and outside the EU to try it.

The VAT caculation at checkout is fine... it seems therefore that the flag "Display Prices with tax" isn't working for when the visitor isn't logged in. I've overhauled a template that I bought so I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to get the standard installation and compare the php. In my SQL database only the tax-free price is stored and the tax rate of the product... the gross price is calculated by a function in the script.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

Hi Barbara

Thanks for your time. Unfortunately (for me) I had already tried what you suggested... sorry I wasn't clearer in my original post. My "Display Prices with tax" was set to true, plus I had created a few test accounts both within and outside the EU to try it.

The VAT caculation at checkout is fine... it seems therefore that the flag "Display Prices with tax" isn't working for when the visitor isn't logged in. I've overhauled a template that I bought so I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to get the standard installation and compare the php. In my SQL database only the tax-free price is stored and the tax rate of the product... the gross price is calculated by a function in the script.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

Try emptying your Cache (under Tools/ Cache control) there may be a blockage there. My store I originally set up with the tax off and then just enabled it and it worked like a charm. Try the cache and see if that changes anything.

Try emptying your Cache (under Tools/ Cache control) there may be a blockage there. My store I originally set up with the tax off and then just enabled it and it worked like a charm. Try the cache and see if that changes anything.

Hi

I'm not using caching... but I cleared it anyway just in case there was something still in there from the past :blink: Still no luck though... prices are still net unless logged in from an EU country.

I need a sleep and then I'll look at the php tomorrow. It's strange why this doesn't work...

C'est la vie I suppose....

H.

Hi

I'm not using caching... but I cleared it anyway just in case there was something still in there from the past :blink: Still no luck though... prices are still net unless logged in from an EU country.

I need a sleep and then I'll look at the php tomorrow. It's strange why this doesn't work...

C'est la vie I suppose....

H.

Check out :

Country and Zone :

Key: STORE_COUNTRY and STORE_ZONE

to be sure your store's location is configured for the comparison to be handled.

Check out :

Country and Zone :

Key: STORE_COUNTRY and STORE_ZONE

to be sure your store's location is configured for the comparison to be handled.

Bingo! :lol:

The store location was false. Why? Because earlier I had deleted countries that I don't want to ship to. My store was in Metropolitan France... which I deleted :blush: Now that I've put myself in France again, it works.

Prices are gross even if not logged in (except for one page but that must truly be a script issue).

Thanks a million :thumbsup:

Archived