• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

htaccess files in a shared hosting environment

BillyWizz

If I rename or comment the catalog/includes/.htaccess file my site works properly.

If its as is, the graphic files under this directory are hidden - Ive tried CHMODing all to 777 but no joy.

My host probably doesnt support anything more than basic user/passwords in the htaccess/htpass files.

Is it a problem for security if I disable this htaccess file?

Thanks all!!!!

BW

ps. It contains the following standard code:

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.4 2001/04/22 20:30:03 dwatkins Exp $
#
# This is used with Apache WebServers
# The following blocks direct HTTP requests in this directory recursively
#
# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Limit' to the AllowOverride configuration
#
# Example:
#
#<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
#  AllowOverride Limit
#
# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in your apache/conf/httpd.conf file)
#
# This does not affect PHP include/require functions
#
# Example: http://server/catalog/includes/application_top.php will not work

<Files *.php>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Files>

You should leave that file in. If your host allows use of .htaccess in one directory then it will work in the others. Try changing the contents of the file to Options All -Indexes.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You should leave that file in. If your host allows use of .htaccess in one directory then it will work in the others. Try changing the contents of the file to Options All -Indexes.

Jack

Thanks for the reply Jack!

Tried that, it has no effect for me - I've just found out from my host that only mod_rewrite, URL security and Frontpage extentions are available in the htaccess files on these shared servers!!!

What would you do here? I dont really know my way around htaccess files yet - not used mod_rewrite - thats for redirecting users I think.

Thanks for your help.

BW

The code I gave you is regular .htaccess code. The mod_rewrite option is something the host has to enable. So if they have mod_rewrite enabled, the code I gave should also work. It may be time to look for another host.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived