• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What to do about Images

DanAKAL

I think I’m going crazy trying to figure out what to do about images and copyrights for my site. I have a Party Supplies business that has hundreds of products so my image numbers are very high. I have searched and searched trying to find manufacturers for my goods but it seems these are just about unobtainable. What I have learned is that by the time I buy my merchandise from wholesalers the merchandise has gone through 3 or 4 hands by the time I get it. The wholesale web sites I go to are no help in determining manufacturer, as well as their copyrights state that nothing is to be copied from their web site except for personal use. The images I am referring too are used all over the web. Almost any party supply site has these images. Here are a few of what I need to use.

UNKNOWN1172I.JPG

28145041T.JPG

1PAA2370T.JPG

All of these courtesy of www.partypro.com

There are some themes such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Cinderella that I know Disney owns the rights to but they didn’t make the balloon or the picture of the balloon. The blue plate and red balloon probably have many different manufacturers and the furtherest I could probably trace either would be to the importer.

I am now sort of at a loss of how to obtain my images without violating any copyrights. I’m sure some of you have been up against such things before and any help for me to do this the most moral and legal way would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Not sure why you're so worried about listing the "manufacturer" of items you sell. You can turn off the "manufacturer" in Admin>Confguration>Maximum Values (set it to 0).

As far as copyright issues, any merchandise you are selling came from a manufacturer that is paying royalties to Disney, etc. (or should be). That's not your problem as I'm assuming you are not a direct distributor for Disney, etc. :)

Anytime you mention Disney, et., you should add a superscript SM or TM or R (Service Mark, Trademark, Registered, respectively). You need to research if a company is trademarked (http://www.uspto.gov). Some are obvious, some are not. If you don't add the SM, TM or R, then put a disclaimer at the bottom of your content that explains "Disney is a Trademark of The Walt Disney Company [insert link to disney.com here, target=blank], all rights reserved."

Most people who sell items use their own photos/create their own images/or use public domain images. As well, your suppliers who have web sites also use their own images. Just email your suppliers with the list of images from their sites that you want to use and get permission. When you have that, put "Images used with permission" at the bottom of your site or add it to a page like Conditions or About.

Does this help curb your feeling of insanity?

jon

It's all just ones and zeros....

I am very new to any kind of ecommerce and of course I want to do nothing toward infringement upon others. So far I haven't had much luck with images from my suppliers. I am going to keep trying. It seems most of them aren't sure where the images came from. I don't necessarily need to add "trademarks" or "manufactured by" to my web site as almost none of my suppliers or competitors do this who are using this image. I expect that I will add something like that in one of my pages but that isn't what I am trying to find right now. My biggest trouble is finding anything I need in a public domain or getting to the right contact of my suppliers who can give me permission to use their images. I am just certain that all of these suppliers didn't make the exact same photo that seems to be used everywhere.

Dan

It's refreshing to see someone erring on the side of caution with respect to copyright infringement. Your ethics are in the right place. Keep them there!

The potential/possible problem you face is this: The proven owner of an image you're using writes to your hosting service, who informs you that you are infringing, and you must remove the image from your site. You do remove it; case closed.

Have a "No image available" gif/jpg ready just in case. I doubt you will be thrown in jail for a picture of a plastic plate :)

No worries :)

jon

It's all just ones and zeros....

Yeah!! I'm Winning!!! I managed to sharpen my internet knife and my polish my supplier/vendor skills and cut through some of the red tape!! I have a couple of emails from my suppliers stating they will allow me to use the images of the products I sell or they will send me some images on a CD I can use!! Having a stubborn streak does pay off from time to time!!

Hmmm....now about those suppliers that just turned me down flat with, "We have the images but you can't use them and you'll just have to make your own".....I still have that stubborn streak and I control whose products I sell.....

Dan

• 2 months later...

I would recommend if your looking for odd images like balloons, plates, party favors and such to do a google search for either ecommerce images, or free ecommerce images. There are lots of sites out there offer free clipart images for usually either a small fee or just by putting a link on your site of where the images were provided by. Most of the sites would work well for store images like buttons, carts, catagory images and such. May not always work well for product images as some products have a specific picture. But its worth checking.

Archived