• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I am about 1 inch from giving up!!

forest-fairy

Well I must admit this is the most complicated thing I have come across, All I want to do is change the colour of the page and edit the front text, simple!! one would think. I wish it was a simple as editing the html colour & text. I have read and read so much in forums and Knoweldge base. I downloaded smart ftp and I got it working, then I read you have to back up file, so I compressed the css file after talking to server, who said that was how you back up then I could take css file over through ftp to my computer, open it in front page edit it and then send it back into same file. Well I bought it across and couldnt open it, it says GZ file 1.37kb.. So I thought the problem might be in comressing the file, so today I came back in to back up the store, (which only has two items in as I am learning all this first) and I see in knoweldge base they say backupdirectory needs to be created byt the store owner and given permissions of 777 to give the web server write permission for that folder. Now I have no idea what that means at all, back up directory where? where do you do that?

If I buy a template, I wonder if its easier to edit because then it would be set up and all I would have to do would be put in products. Lost in oscommerce

Lynnette

I forgot to say I tried to open it in dreamweaver front page and even coffee cup, nup I right clicked on the file and looked ant the properties and changed to be opened by front page. I tried the go on-line to find someone to open file..nup! Why carnt it be as simple as edit in site?

Lynn

I forgot to say I tried to open it in dreamweaver front page and even coffee cup, nup I right clicked on the file and looked ant the properties and changed to be opened by front page. I tried the go on-line to find someone to open file..nup! Why carnt it be as simple as edit in site?

Lynn

suggest you first relax and decide whether you want to backup stuff or edit stuff and then do that one at a time and not both at the same time.

And there is no need to compress anything.

You could use a template but make sure it works BEFORE you buy it. See many people here who do that afterwards.

Treasurer MFC

suggest you first relax and decide whether you want to backup stuff or edit stuff and then do that one at a time and not both at the same time.

And there is no need to compress anything.

You could use a template but make sure it works BEFORE you buy it. See many people here who do that afterwards.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I was hoping to change the colours here and then it would match my site.I thought you had to back up first before you did anything. Well I just went in and decompressed the scc file took it over and opened it in front page, I changed all the ffffff to ffffcc and I went save, then I took it back across and the colour didn't change, so I was wondering do I just go " Save" in front page and I am wondering what the grey colour is so I can change it to burgundy. Back to the old drawing board, at least I am trying, but after two weeks I am not getting much work done as I dont' like this beating me..I am not one to give up usually. But I am also a learner and dont know a real lot, this is my first web site shop after e bay. Thanks Lynn

I just changed all my colours in the sytlesheet. there is something you can download that you can load your stylesheet into so you can see your changes as you do them, but I found it fine just to wonder around the stylesheet and change the colours of boxes and text etc.

Yes, it's extremely time consuming and annoying and complex work, designed by people who really don't want ordinary mortals to actually master it!!!! :)

I just changed all my colours in the sytlesheet. there is something you can download that you can load your stylesheet into so you can see your changes as you do them, but I found it fine just to wonder around the stylesheet and change the colours of boxes and text etc.

Yes, it's extremely time consuming and annoying and complex work, designed by people who really don't want ordinary mortals to actually master it!!!! :)

Yep, it's basically the geek programmer mentality. Let's make sure ordinary people have NO idea how to do this, then we'll never be out of a job :D .

I'm amazed that osCommerce has such a good reputation. It's an incredibly difficult database/software to use. I've been jacking around with it for more than 24 hours and it's still not doing what I want. On the other hand, I downloaded ZenCart and that was up and running in about 2 hours. Currently, I'm sticking with osCommerce because I think, in the long run, it will be a better program (plus Zen Cart has freakin' banners advertising their product every 2 inches and I don't have the patience to figure out how to get rid of them) - but if I could line up the folks that designed this program and throw heavy objects at them, I'd happily do it :-)

Hi and thanks for your reply. I was hoping to change the colours here and then it would match my site.I thought you had to back up first before you did anything. Well I just went in and decompressed the scc file took it over and opened it in front page, I changed all the ffffff to ffffcc and I went save, then I took it back across and the colour didn't change, so I was wondering do I just go " Save" in front page and I am wondering what the grey colour is so I can change it to burgundy. Back to the old drawing board, at least I am trying, but after two weeks I am not getting much work done as I dont' like this beating me..I am not one to give up usually. But I am also a learner and dont know a real lot, this is my first web site shop after e bay. Thanks Lynn

there is an explanation of the css file somewhere in the knowledge base.

and generally, css files get browser cached so a refresh action on the browser would be required to see the changes.

Treasurer MFC

yes, whatever boxtel just said... have your actual page open in one window and your cpanel/admin open in another, make the change, hit "save" and just refresh your homepage to see changes. I also have one of the helpful websites that shows you the basic colour palette and corresponding number... and may I suggest writing down where you find things... I want to go back now and change things and I've forgotten most of where I found stuff, so I'll have to re-learn it all again :( ....(or just not bother)

Archived